PDA

View Full Version : LW8 B4 LW7.5b?

Jaspar
02-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Just posting this 'cos it strikes me that the 7.5b update seems to be running so late, they might as well delay the updates till 8. From what I understand the two have different development teams (maybe another innaccuracy from the rumour mill)? It would be fair to assume that 8 will be released at Siggraph, 5 months away. I'd imagine the linux render has been the major cause of the delay of 7.5b, from what I understand the scripting update has been ready for a while.

For me personally, I have 6.5b, and was persuaded by an earlier thread that it was worth upgrading to 7.5, rather than wait for 8. I decided that when the update arrived, I would upgrade, assuming the linux render was working properly. I'm assuming that alot of people are also anxiously waiting for the scripting updates.

I don't want to cause the same mass-hysteria cause by the last threads of a similar subject, I just think that Newtek should maybe go against the grain of their standard policy, and release each individual feature update as and when they're ready. I've personally now decided to wait-for-eight, which presumably has Newtek's undivided focus.

What do you guys think, should Newtek change their update policy?

:shrug:

UserDelta
02-24-2003, 11:32 AM
um... well i think when it comes to a rewrite, it takes time but it picks up after then.
remember when 6 was out, didnt take too long for it to get to 7.5

id think when 8 is out, it would be like so again until the next rewrite.

leigh
02-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Why is everyone soooo fussed about LW8? For me personally, I love 7.5, and I am more than happy with it right now. It does everything I need it to, and so the idea of a new version with some new possible features is just a nice thing to look forward to sometime in the future, but for the time being, it really doesn't occupy my thoughts much at all.

Quite frankly, if LW8 only comes out next year, I wouldn't be particularly perturbed.

Jaspar
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah, it seems that way. I wasn't too concerned with the length of time it was taking to make 8, it seems like they have alot planned. I was more bothered about the final 7 update, the linux render was promised for the fourth quater of last year.

feefunk
02-24-2003, 01:04 PM
For what it's worth, check out Flay (http://www.flay.com/jobs.cfm) Newtek is hiring Developers...

Maybe they will come out with version 8 sometime in the near future? ;)

Lightwave does need a majour overhaul if you do anything other than model/texture/render. It's still a good deal for the price though.

DarkLight
02-24-2003, 03:49 PM
I'm only starting to come to grips with 7.5, only been using it for a few months. I'm in no hurry to upgrade to a new version. Still to much to learn in the current version.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-24-2003, 04:06 PM
well, i've only been using LW7.5 since last May so I won't be upgrading for a while if 8 makes an early appearance...unless it performs miracles (like completely shutting up my MAX using colleague...)

mav3rick
02-24-2003, 05:27 PM
hehe they will sell 7.5b as lw 8 :) and they can't compile it so that's why they hire programers:)
hehe
can't resist
:bounce:
joke:)

mage111
02-24-2003, 08:01 PM
personally, it wouldnt matter when 8 comes out, for the next xx amount of years i'll still be learning lightwave, and still be lightyears behind all of you.

so i might aswell save my money and hold off till i 'need' a new feature only found in a newer version

just my thoughts

OR; if there was a bug that was constently plauging me, i may consider it aswell

CIM
02-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Well, with Newtek's snail-like development, don't expect Lightwave 8 until sometime in 2006. I guess the slow development is due to Newtek having a few bug squasher, while the real development (Lightwave 8) is going on at Luxology.

Last I heard Luxology was only giving Lightwave a makeover--not some re-write. Lightwave 8 will probably have the same weaknesses (the sa,e plugin soiled, conflicting architecture we all know).

Lets hope Newtek cleans out their ears an actually starts listening to it's users (the real ones--not newbies screaming for all the hot, new toys).

DaveCG
02-24-2003, 09:11 PM
I think a 7.5b or 7.6 should be released to squash more bugs and make it work better with Windows XP. It's a really good package now and bugging it up to 8 might do more harm than good.

Mike RB
02-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Cim, where does you're information come from? Can you reveal your sources (ie: they are posts in other groups or forums by the people involved) or do you have an inside track to these things?

What is generally known is that LW 7.5x will be soon and be mostly a bug patch (Newtek is horrible at these bug only patches though, they always toss in cool extra features :) ). And somtime in the future there will be a new version, of which Luxology as an entity has nothing to do with.

Mike

Chewey
02-24-2003, 09:57 PM
That info was a bit wacky and it's not even April 1st yet!

:shame:

2006? :eek:

Jaspar
02-24-2003, 11:01 PM
CIM's duck is disarming, seems he's just as bitter as when he was mean and green.:p

CIM
02-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
That info was a bit wacky and it's not even April 1st yet!

:shame:

2006? :eek:

You mean it's not April 1st?

Nonproductive
02-25-2003, 01:45 AM
I sat around today with a helmet made of tin foil and velveeta cheese while eating coffe grounds by the pound. The truth about LW and it's future suddenly came to me as if in a dream. My train of thought and completely unfounded speculation went like this:

A few weeks ago Proton revealed the meaning of life to User Delta at the NY DV Expo. Photo's of Proton from NYC reveal that he was hiding something in his pockets and gossip begins that someone blew up the photo 500x and saw "What's new in Lightwave 8" on a scrap of paper clenched in his enshrouded fist.

Proton denies to comment on CG Talk - but User Delta suddenly wins the lottery, is offered a job at ILM and the Playboy mansion gave him a room and a towel for the grotto.

Seeing User Delta's new found success from just being *near* the LW team - the curious look for a downloadable LW Demo. "Soon", states Proton - "when the site gets updated."

Proton states that "Announcements are coming..."

Proton and crew continue to fly coast to coast - not by airline, the power of Newtek compels them - they literally fly.

Proton flies back into Texas, and boy are his arms tired.

Newtek updates their site - including new forums and the Announcement of Aura 2.5b.

The devout clamor for more information and potential converts pine for a downloadable LW Discovery Edition. "Soon", states Proton. People close to him see an odd glow emanating from his briefcase... Policarpo sneaks a peak in the briefcase and his hair changed forever.

So why the delay? My theory - Newtek have discovered the key to immortality and are ensuring their copyrights and patents are in order before releasing the 3D app to end all 3D apps. Luxology are not actually involved in developing Lightwave at all - their name "Luxology" stems from the fact they they have been studying the Divine Light of Heaven for the last year and due to restrictions in renting a hangar at Area 51 - needed to be a separate business entity. The team at Luxology have been responsible for figuring out how to package the Divine Light so that it doesn't leak out and ruin the manual. The Lightwave Discovery Edition that will eventually find it's way to the website will actually be called "Lightwave Divine Enigma" in honor of Newtek's announcement.

Shortly after it's release, Newtek will change their name to "Nyah Nyah! Now what topic are you going to beat to death?"
Proton will announce he is leaving Newtek to found a new company that is currently beta testing the next version of Newtek's Forums and, in fact, is actively involved in their development. Days later the press release will mysteriously disappear from his new companies site and rumors will turn up that Newtek doesn't in fact own the code to their forums and thus, Lightwave and Aura have no future since they will have no area for support.

Alias, Discreet and Avid will close their doors, realizing they cannot compete with The Almighty. Lightwave will become the only 3D app and CGTalk's general forums will be removed since no one can ask "What 3D app should I use?" anymore.

Gelfling
02-25-2003, 01:52 AM
profound w-i-s-d-o-m

care-ful

UserDelta
02-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Nonproductive
Proton and crew continue to fly coast to coast - not by airline, the power of Newtek compels them - they literally fly.

Proton flies back into Texas, and boy are his arms tired.

heheeh loved that part

ejoyed your story, you should write a book my friend :)

Rabid pitbull
02-25-2003, 01:56 AM

:beer:

good one!! my only question is simple. does proton have to where tin foil to do this?? :scream:

kretin
02-25-2003, 04:17 AM
I heard that they'd actually finished LW8 and were just waiting for a competent web team to update the website with news of it's release.... oh, they just updated the website... oh well, must have got my wires crossed.

But seriously Jaspar. don't hold out... 7.5 kicks SO much ass over 6.5 that you should make the most of your Lightwaving, however long it takes for 8 to come out, and upgrade now.

Nonproductive
02-25-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by UserDelta
... you should write a book my friend :)

It comes from many hours of dealing with Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders...ifor example, I was asked when nap time was by a kindergarten class the other day and replied "soon!" and got 5 "How long is 'soon?'" thrown back at me.

It's amazing what kids will buy if you make it sound interesting.

For the record "soon" is "how long it takes for the little hand to get tired of playing hopscotch with the lines between the numbers. This way when nap time comes the little hand will be tired enough to close his eyes too and he won't keep you awake with his playing! You wouldn't want him to be hopping around and making all that noise while you were trying to take a nap, would you?"

CIM
02-25-2003, 04:25 AM
They're actually waiting until the manuals get their names updated from Lightwave to Pluginwave.

takkun
02-25-2003, 05:38 AM
Alias, Discreet and Avid will close their doors, realizing they cannot compete with The Almighty. The Almighty, I love it!-- if anyone asks me about Lightwave I'll go, "Thou speaketh the mortal name of The Almighty! Thou shalt be stricken by a goat famine if thou dost not asketh forgiveness for thy wicked tounge! You evil heathen from the under-regions of the bad place! Begone!"

Freak
02-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Nonproductive: Pure Class!

:thumbsup:

feefunk
02-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by CIM
They're actually waiting until the manuals get their names updated from Lightwave to Pluginwave.

... and since no LW user has written such a plug in, we'll have to wait until someone decides to bring us that functionality. Hence the 2006 release date.

;)

Howzat
02-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Top story nonproductive!
:beer:

Jaspar
02-25-2003, 09:09 PM
ROFL, nice one nonproductive!:beer:

I was having doubts about starting this thread right from the word 'GO', it was just a mini-rant while I killed some time at work, nonproductive's response has more than made up for my sins.

Think I might still get 7.5, I'll just sit on the fence until my next payday.

policarpo
02-25-2003, 09:59 PM
hey CIM...i think you should change your handle to something more appropriate.

my suggestion would be to change it to CAUSTIC.

your new avatar is very fitting by the way. :beer:

feefunk
02-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Heh, and come to think of it when I first signed on to CGTalk last year, I remember CIM used to defend LW with a vengeance whenever someone brought up the fact that it was lacking in some areas...!

Times change?:surprised

leigh
02-26-2003, 07:12 PM
LOL Nonproductive, that was great :beer:

ThirdEye
02-26-2003, 07:27 PM
"Alias, Discreet and Avid will close their doors, realizing they cannot compete with The Almighty."

Luckily Maxon has not been involved. :D

pixelmonk
02-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Maxon was never a player.. hence they weren't involved. As for CIM.. he's been on a bitch-rant on the Newtek boards. Some people just get too passionate or turn to troll-bait after things don't seem to be going as fast as they want them to. There's always other options. Maya makes a good LW plugin. >:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.