PDA

View Full Version : MentalRay versus Vray versus Modo renderer.

attanze
02-01-2007, 07:47 PM
I need to chose a renderer and a software package also, so your informations will be very valuable. I want a good renderer and I dont know what is the best one. Whell, I want to say speed-quality. I have in atention MentalRay, Vray and Modo internal renderer. I dont know how good is MentalRay, but I sowit some renderers and seems OK. But, is MR superior in speed/quality compared with Vray? Also Im very impresed with the speed of Modo internal renderer. Please make somebody who know these renderers a comparision between them. And please dont make a flame war from this.

T4D
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
it's between Vray and mental ray
( I have not touched Vray But I would be interest to hear what they say it's like compaired to MR )

I have Modo and well it's not up there with mental ray

for afew reasons

1/ no animation
2/ it's noisy compaired to MR , YES it cleans up but the render times compaired to MR are not good.
3/ Shader tree of modo is odd, once you play with nodes in XSI or whatever the advanages of nodes over Modo's shader tree are very easy to see.
4/ it's missing alot of features
5/ it can not render more then afew million polygons ( real polygon that is, not displacements, it can render millions and millions of displacements, But render times do get high )

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.