koshime
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
CGS UK Chapter
List of CG Artists based in UK

London

AnimZiggy (Ismini Sigala): Freelance 3D Artist/Character Animator
Leigh (Leigh van der Byl): Texture painter
Danshewan (Dan Shewan): Freelance Digital Artist
Koshime (Dr. CM Wong) : Anaesthesiologist/Concept artist [MSN:koshime@yahoo.com]
Twidup (Todd W): elderly creature technician| cell shop
MrJames (James Stone): Freelance 3D Character Artist / London College of Music and Media
Sinew (Sia-Leng New): Freelance Digital Artist [MSN: sl_new@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=52957#)]
Oxford

Droolz (Jules Stevenson): Creative Director "BIG monkey boss" [ MSN droolz202@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=114930#)]

North UK

Derby

Vyntax (Stewart Jones): Technical Animator [Eurocom]
Applying for UK chapter

I personally know that there are a large amount of talented artist working in various related industries of games, movies, advertising and illustration that we could all really benefit from a CG Society chapter based in UK

If anyone else is interested,
please post on here.

I'm personally based currently in central london and it would be great to get together, share ideas, thoughts, sketch and paint together or go on art field trips

stewartjones
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I agree, meet-ups would be fun. I'm in Derby myself so pretty central I guess!

koshime
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Thats not too bad.
I was in sheffield for 7 years prior to moving down to london.

Lots of potential scenery in teh derby/peak district area.
Although we can all decamp to lake district mountains or Snowdonia for a outdoor meet/paint. Heh heh

danshewan
02-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I'd definitely be up for regular meetings - I think it'd be really beneficial to actually meet other CGS artists face to face. I don't really get much chance to leave the city, though, so if the meetings were to be held elsewhere I'd probably be unable to attend.

koshime
02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, other artists from CA org also meet regularly.

Normally, we meet at nandos, Soho in firth street to eat/draw.
Depending on what is on, Tate britain or local museums are quite attractive as well

I personally am up for anything, or goign out ot nice places to Eat as well
(loads of lovely places to eat in central london, but not many to eat and draw. but perhaps to eat and discuss...art/perspective, methods, what we're workgin on outside the cofnines of NDAs and to just enjoy each others company)

Contacts:

MSN is koshime@yahoo.com

email: koshime@gmail.com

twidup
02-05-2007, 06:35 PM
mmmmm nando's.

well, as soon as I move over at the end of the month, I will probably be joining everyone.

cheers
-todd

koshime
02-05-2007, 06:57 PM
nandos is only a suggestion (we can try some great places to eat ranging from Dim sum chinese to japanese yautcha and korean Ran)

Where will you be residing Twidup?

twidup
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
no idea yet.

Dealing with Foxton's right now on trying to locate a place. Any suggestions on some nicer areas, close to soho (like zone 2 or 3 is fine) that are relatively in-expensive and close to transit and shopping?

thanks
-todd

koshime
02-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Generally

Inexpensive = higher crime rate

Dodgy and cheap

East central london
Wood green
Cheap

South of the river thames eg. Southfields, canary wharf
North of central London eg. Finsbury Park
Central

Angel/Islington/Highbury
King's Cross
Holborn
Nice = Expensive and then some

Hampstead
Richmond
Chelsea

koshime
02-07-2007, 12:56 PM
If Anyone wants,

I'm meeting with a fellow art coleague at nandos, Firth street in SOHO after 6.30pm till around 10.30-11pm. We'll be downstairs painting/eating.

If you need directions/etc

drop me a line at 07717757807

ta!

slnew
02-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Ah... Saw this thread too late. Otherwise I would've join you guys. The last time I did a group sketches was like 9, 10 years ago back in college days. Hahaha...

Koshime, I just added you in my address book. You can add me to MSN too, my MSN id is sl_new@hotmail.com.

Cheers, guys.

leigh
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Don't you mean Frith Street, not Firth Street? ;)

I might pop round one evening if there is a meetup since I work quite nearby, although I am more partial to the Pret over the road, instead of Nandos. But Pret isn't really a good place for a group of people. On the other hand, Garlic And Shots is... if you're into garlic. And vodka.

koshime
02-14-2007, 08:31 PM
hi there,

the onlyreason why Nandos works is over the past few years, its afford us a chance to sit loads of people, serve food and drinks and opens till 10-11pm without kicking people out, thus allowing for a perfect opportunity to sit and draw and eart

leigh
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Understandable. It's just that I don't eat Nandos, which is why I never go there.

danshewan
02-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry I missed you guys the other night - when are you going to meet up next? Either post back here or feel free to send me a PM, and perhaps we can get a decent number of us in the same spot at the same time!

Hmmm, vodka and garlic - could there be a better combination?

koshime
02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Just curious guys,

Are there any preferred

Days? (weekdays or weekends?)
Venue? (museum/eatout place or congregation area in central london)
Over the next 2 weeks for a meet up/ get together / social

leigh
02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I prefer week nights since my weekends are usually busy. As for venues, anywhere with decent ale.

slnew
02-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I am quite alrite in the coming weeks. So any time & venue in central London would be fine for me. Cheers.

danshewan
02-15-2007, 10:50 PM
As for venues, anywhere with decent ale.

Agreed. I'd prefer Fridays (nights, not the awful restaurant chain), but any night is pretty much okay for me.

leigh
02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Incidentally, Dan - have you not been to Garlic & Shots? It's just over the road from Nandos on Frith. Garlic on everything on the menu, plus a selection of garlic/chili-infused alcoholic beverages and shots, which are not for the faint of heart. The "bloodshot" is fantastic.

danshewan
02-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Incidentally, Dan - have you not been to Garlic & Shots?

Sadly not - I've been meaning to go for some time, but it's one of those places that I never seem to get around to going to! I can be quite the procrastinator at times......

edit: Leigh, I just had a look at their menu, and everything on it looks fantastic. Garlic XXX-Hot Texas Chili in a Pan? Sign me up! As for their shots menu, I'm especially tempted by the Deer Hunter and the Tex-Mex Shooter......

Guys, screw Nando's - we should meet there!

Droolz
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Just noticed this thread, remarkably deja vu. Don't know what happened to the previous UK effort but it kind of fizzled out. Would be great if this became more definate.

I'll keep an eye on the thread, if it happens then I'll be there [and probably drag my co-conspiritors with me] - sorry if that sounds slack, but not based in london so probably better for someone who knows the turf better....

Tara,

Jules

AnimZiggy
02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
missed it too. u guys should come the sketch group sometime... i dont update the thread anymore...as its usually going on my own or with a couple non-cgtalk users...

i usally meet with people for sketching in trafalgar square.... if its rainy we pop into a gallery.. as for venues i would stay away from soho on a dead busy thrusday or friday night.... too noisy to talk...

never had nandos either...but i would avoid chicken for a bit if i were u after that bird flu case recently...

MrJames
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
If this goes ahead I could be up for it. I'll keep my eyes open. :eek:

koshime
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
well, I'm free for a meet in the evening on Thursday, or anytime sat or sunday. Otherwise, I'll be busy painting and doign some work at home :)

leigh
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Unfortunately I can't do any of these days, so I'll have to wait until another time.

AnimZiggy
03-01-2007, 11:31 AM
no i can't this weekend either might be able to tmrw though.

MrJames
03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah I can't make this weekend either. Hopefully I'll be able to make it in the future.

koshime
03-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Hi there,

with easter coming up some might be absconding to warmer or exciting climes while some have time off. Anyone intrested in meeting in april?

leigh
03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm definitely still keen for a meetup sometime.

koshime
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
well - I think there are a few based in central london. but i forget how many. We could organsie something.

When are next free in the next 4 weeks leigh?

leigh
03-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Most evenings during the week. Weekends are usually busy for me. But since I work in the area, it's easy for me to pop in somewhere after work during the week.

AnimZiggy
03-14-2007, 12:08 AM
guys anytime mid week is good for me too.

Droolz
03-14-2007, 08:47 AM
In some vague hope of getting something together I'll go out on a wing.. what about tonight [wednesday] - I know short notice, but unless we actually *do* this thing, it won't ever happen. I'm in London all day so it's cool for me, I'll bring a couple of people and hopefully a few more.

Nandos sounded cool - 6:30-7pm?

Let me know if you'll definately coming [and also where nando's is :)], I won't bother turning up if I don't hear back from anyone. Sorry if this is all a bit rush rush presumptious....

Would be cool to see you later.. Jules

leigh
03-14-2007, 09:00 AM
In some vague hope of getting something together I'll go out on a wing.. what about tonight [wednesday] - I know short notice, but unless we actually *do* this thing, it won't ever happen. I'm in London all day so it's cool for me, I'll bring a couple of people and hopefully a few more.

Nandos sounded cool - 6:30-7pm?

Let me know if you'll definately coming [and also where nando's is :)], I won't bother turning up if I don't hear back from anyone. Sorry if this is all a bit rush rush presumptious....

Would be cool to see you later.. Jules

I already have plans for tonight, I'm afraid!

AnimZiggy
03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
sorry i can't make it tonight either... :shrug:

danshewan
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, perhaps we could arrange for everyone to meet sometime in a couple of weeks? Seems like everyone needs plenty of notice (fiercely social bunch that we are), and the next two weeks are going to be pretty crazy for me - how about sometime around the 27th or 28th?

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly welcome suggestions for alternatives to Nandos for a possible venue......

leigh
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Also, I don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly welcome suggestions for alternatives to Nandos for a possible venue......

GARLIC AND SHOTS!!

I'm actually going there tonight with some friends. Man, I love that place.

danshewan
03-14-2007, 01:41 PM
GARLIC AND SHOTS!!

Well, I didn't want everyone to think I was secretly working for them, but yeah - that seems like a much better choice than Nandos! It's got my vote.

Why don't we pencil in a provisional date of Thursday 29th, at Garlic & Shots on Frith Street around 6pm (ish)? Does that work for everyone?

leigh
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Why don't we pencil in a provisional date of Thursday 29th, at Garlic & Shots on Frith Street around 6pm (ish)? Does that work for everyone?

That should work for me.

Mmmm. Garlic.

danshewan
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
That should work for me.

Mmmm. Garlic.

Great - I'll book a table nearer the time, and will post back here to confirm the reservation. Can anyone else that wants to come along make sure you add to this thread, and I suppose we can exchange 'I'll be wearing a white carnation' gags nearer the time.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Droolz
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, so same day impromtu was a little optomistic.. 29th is good for me.

Jules

AnimZiggy
03-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I think I'm good for the 28th too!

yah definatelly not Nandos, a friend had food poisoning the other night there!

Garlic and Shots sounds intruiging..

danshewan
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I think I'm good for the 28th too!

yah definatelly not Nandos, a friend had food poisoning the other night there!

We're meeting up on Thursday 29th (Thursdays are the new Fridays, and all that) as opposed to the Wednesday - we wouldn't want to miss you! Although Garlic & Shots sounds like the kind of place that I wouldn't mind going two nights in a row.....

That sucks about your friend getting food poisoning - was it from the one on Frith Street? I haven't been to Nandos for ages, but that's largely due to the prevalence of screaming children that always seem to be present in Nandos restaurants. I found out from an article in the Metro last week that one of my favorite Chinese places in Soho was fined for having a rodent infestation recently - it's still not enough to make me go to Pret, though.....

Anyone else coming?

AnimZiggy
03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
yah i meant the 29th, silly me.

Heh funny enough he got food poisoning from the veggie stuff...he s currently freelancing at Clear, so I guess prob from that one...didnt ask.

koshime
03-14-2007, 08:49 PM
sounds like a plan!

Should we start up a UK chapter as well while we're at it??

leigh
03-15-2007, 01:01 AM
it's still not enough to make me go to Pret, though.....

What's wrong with Pret? :curious:

I just got back from a rowdy evening at Garlic & Shots. I feel sorry for my co-workers tomorrow who are going to have to put up with my garlic stink.

danshewan
03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
What's wrong with Pret? :curious:

Nothing - I just don't really like their kind of food. I'm more of a junk food kinda guy. It reminds me of what Bill Hicks said regarding healthy lifestyles - 'healthy people......die every day'.

AnimZiggy
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
hahah...well pret is alright...although i found a couple of sarnies of theirs too salty for my taste. I love the brie and cucumber baguette.
UK chapter hmmmm someone start then!

koshime
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, here goes

Please add your name/username to the list below for
folks interested in starting a CG Society chapter - dedicated to interexchance og Game/Movie professional media/arts. It will allow for more CGs exchange, book discounts, etc and a chance to improve overall.

I will update this list

Leigh (Leigh van der Byl): Texture painter | London
Danshewan (Dan Shewan): Freelance Digital Artist | London, UK
Koshime (Dr. CM Wong) : Anaesthesiologist/Concept artist | London

danshewan
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Count me in.

- danshewan (Dan Shewan): Freelance Digital Artist | London, UK

leigh
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I guess you can count me in too.
As a member of Ballistic staff, I really should be making more of an effort :D

danshewan - I thought you were moving to the US? Or am I thinking of someone else? By the way, Pret rocks :p

AnimZiggy
03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
In too.

freelance also (but i hope it changes urghh)

leigh
03-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Oops I forgot to put my name and stuff down.

Leigh van der Byl / texture painter / London

koshime
03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
The list is updated here:

Uk Chapter thread
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4171106#post4171106)

Once we have more than 5 peeps/names we are good to go!

danshewan
03-15-2007, 04:14 PM
danshewan - I thought you were moving to the US? Or am I thinking of someone else? By the way, Pret rocks :p

Yeah, we were - until the gig fell through. It was quite embarassing, actually - I had posted in a similar thread that my apartment was available for a short-term sublet, and twidup actually got in touch with me about it but by that time our plans had changed, leaving me with proverbial egg-on-face. After that, we were going to move to Dubai, but that's another story....

We're still moving back Stateside, although now we're waiting for my spouse visa to come through, which our attorney advised us could take up to a year.

leigh
03-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, we were - until the gig fell through. It was quite embarassing, actually - I had posted in a similar thread that my apartment was available for a short-term sublet, and twidup actually got in touch with me about it but by that time our plans had changed, leaving me with proverbial egg-on-face. After that, we were going to move to Dubai, but that's another story....

We're still moving back Stateside, although now we're waiting for my spouse visa to come through, which our attorney advised us could take up to a year.

Aaah okay. I hate it when stuff like that happens!

AnimZiggy
03-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Oops I forgot to put my name and stuff down.

me too:

Ismini Sigala Freelance 3D Artist/Character Animator London, UK

leigh
03-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey cool I see we have quite a few names on the list now.

lol @ twidup's "cell shop" ;)

koshime
03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah - what exactly is a cell shop?

leigh
03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
It's a little joke... if you really think about it, you may catch it. Twidup and I are actually colleagues.

Here's a hint: use a Thesaurus.

koshime
03-15-2007, 10:43 PM
When we all meet, I'm going to TRY to bring a good friend of Mine, also south african called Sketchling (Kim Taylor) now in transition from MPC to Framestore.

I am guessing you two will get along well.

Cell shop = phone store or an animation effects dept?

leigh
03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
When we all meet, I'm going to TRY to bring a good friend of Mine, also south african called Sketchling (Kim Taylor) now in transition from MPC to Framestore.

I am guessing you two will get along well.

Cell shop = phone store or an animation effects dept?

Errmmm.... well... I guess this is going to give away the joke, but um, Kim works downstairs from me.... and on the same floor as Twidup.... cell.... frame..... shop..... store.

;) ;) ;)

koshime
03-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Har.

Guess you guys already met then.
I thought K wasnt going to start quite yet.

I finally get it (but your thesaurus was not helpful as it is more like charades *grin*)

leigh
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Har.

Guess you guys already met then.
I thought K wasnt going to start quite yet.

Actually I haven't met him yet. But he started the other day.

I finally get it (but your thesaurus was not helpful as it is more like charades *grin*)

Heh yeah but it's difficult to act out charades over the web :D

koshime
03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Well - from one texture fantatic to another (I am still learning how to texture) but Kim loves....texturing for hours on end.

I'm sure we'll get to spend some time at nandos eventually (as part of CG Talk or not) as we meet there thursdays every few weeks or so for a paint/chat session in the evenings

Droolz
03-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Cool - looks like stuff is definately happening, Koshime, please ignore my PM's - seems I engaged my hands before my brain. As a side note, I'm not in london but in the megacity 1 that is wallingford, oxfordshire, and my title would be creative director / big monkey boss if you want one.

Looking forward to it. Jules

mdee
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll be there if time and money allow ;)

Michal Doniec, guitar player, 4D craftsman, UK.

koshime
03-16-2007, 10:01 PM
4D craftsman (as in cinema 4D?)

By the way guys, Andrew plummer doesnt seem to respond to his emails, is there anyone else we can bug like Leonard Teo perhaps for the formation of a UK CGS chapter?

mdee
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM

By the way guys, Andrew plummer doesnt seem to respond to his emails, is there anyone else we can bug like Leonard Teo perhaps for the formation of a UK CGS chapter?

Nope, I usually abuse maya, xsi and zbrush, but I use timeline often :).

koshime
03-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Are you based around London, North Mid or South of England Mdee?

leigh
03-17-2007, 03:32 AM

Andrew is probably just busy. Give him some time to respond. Leonard no longer works for Ballistic.

koshime
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh.
So Andrew runs CGS now?

AnimZiggy
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Leonard Teo works for Softimage now in Canada :thumbsup:

danshewan
03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Okay guys, we have a reservation at Garlic & Shots on Frith Street (map and link below), on Thursday 29th at 6pm. Since we cannot all arrive at the same time, the reservation is under the group name of (perhaps not so imaginatively) the CG Society so whoever arrives first can secure the table.

The reservation is (provisionally) for between 12-15 people - this way, if people wish to bring guests they can, and also allows for any new members (or people who are unaware of this meeting) to join us if they so wish. I've been reliably informed by the management that for a group of this size, a set menu may be a better option - since they have around 25 main courses, people can (of course) order dishes from the normal menu, but this will take longer with a larger group. Either way, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

I said that I'd call them back this time next week to give them a more definitive number of people so they can prepare accordingly - so can everyone planning on attending (including any guests) reply back here so I can give them an accurate number to work with. Thanks - definitely looking forward to it!

http://www.garlicandshots.com (http://www.garlicandshots.com/)

http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=529753&y=181091&z=0&sv=W1D+4RD&st=2&pc=W1D+4RD&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

koshime
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll be there.

leigh
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I'll be there too.

AnimZiggy
03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
will be there too.

koshime
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Forgot to add, Sketchling from CFC is coming as well + sketchbooks

sketchling
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
haha..and here is me not even on the forum im being discussed on...

Hi all :) Leigh, yes, iv seen ya go past on the stairs whilst I was on the phone, but I havent had a chance to actually introduce myself :)

Ill be there tomorrow :) Be good to meet everyone. Might bring a friend... dunno yet.

leigh
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi all :) Leigh, yes, iv seen ya go past on the stairs whilst I was on the phone, but I havent had a chance to actually introduce myself :)

Heh one of these days I'll move down to the first floor...

Ill be there tomorrow :)

I believe the meetup is next Thursday ;)

koshime
03-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh well, if its next thrusday, it means....

We can revert to Theme nandos.
Righty - Kim and myself will be at nandos from 6.30pm sketching/painting...

sketchling
03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
nandooooooooos. (where else can you buy dinner and a beer for 8 quid and sit painting for 3-4 hours without eing nudged into leaving... in soho?!? Love it)

Im free from 6 :)

leigh
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm confused now. Are you guys meeting at Nandos tomorrow or next Thursday?

sketchling
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
strange story... I thought today was thursday, and that this thursday was garlic&shots day CGchannel day. Since thats next thursday and today is in fact wednesday, Koshime and I are going to Nandos tomorrow night and Garlic and shots Next week Thurs.
So klaar soos Zeekooivlei ne? :P (klaar? is that even afrikaans... damn im bad at it)

leigh
03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Haha klaar means finished :p

But thanks for clearing that up. I'm seeing 300 tomorrow night, so I'll be at Garlic & Shots next week.

sketchling
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
right. hmmm. knew something wasnt right. I do remember what 'swak' means. It was written in red across every essay I ever wrote. Can you believe I went to stellenbosch for 4 years??? Jeeeez.

Droolz
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
lol, now a little scared by you loons, but I'll be there

leigh
03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
right. hmmm. knew something wasnt right. I do remember what 'swak' means. It was written in red across every essay I ever wrote. Can you believe I went to stellenbosch for 4 years??? Jeeeez.

Agg nee man. Jy het vir vier jare na Stellenbos gegaan? Is jy nog mal? :D

Heh, my Afrikaans is nou kak vrot.

koshime
03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Hmm.

Must learn Afrikan.
The long and short of it is, if you're up for a night of manual sketching/digital painting and socializing without too much alKohol - we'll be at Nandos, Firth street on the morrow from 6pm. All are welcome.

Sorry, no 3D animation rigs avail....

mdee
03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll be there.

danshewan
03-28-2007, 09:16 AM
So far we have seven confirmations, so I'll ask the management to reduce the size of the table to ten as opposed to 12-15. That way if there's any late additions there's still room for them. To confirm - 6pm (ish), Garlic & Shots, Frith Street.

My online access will be limited for the time being, since my computer is busy having a tantrum and all, so if I don't get a chance to post back, I'll see you guys tomorrow evening.

Droolz
03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
I'll be bringing another as well, so minimum 8. Sorry for the late notice.

jules

koshime
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
so - barring picadilly line problems, most folks will be coming after work i guess!
Any errr photos of what peeps look like??

sketchling
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.thewvsr.com/images/hillbilly.jpg
nothing spells lovin like marryin yer cousin

koshime
03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
hmmm. any sisters? :)

leigh
03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
I'll be there after work.

danshewan
03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Ironically, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. I could be faced with the prospect of expensive computer repair bills, and I might not be able to afford it. :banghead:
I'll let everyone know tomorrow when I've assessed the financial implications.

leigh
03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll sponsor you a pint.

What's wrong with your computer?

danshewan
03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I'll sponsor you a pint.

What's wrong with your computer?

That's very kind. :)

There's a rather lengthy post about my computer woes in the hardware forum. It's been like that for nearly two weeks. As a result it's affecting my wife and I pretty hard, financially-speaking.

leigh
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
There's a rather lengthy post about my computer woes in the hardware forum. It's been like that for nearly two weeks. As a result it's affecting my wife and I pretty hard, financially-speaking.

I just read about it... that's pretty shit :hmm: I wish I could offer some advice but I'm not technically savvy with Macs, only PCs. I hope you manage to solve it without having to incur that insane hourly fee at Applecare.

koshime
03-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Ah macs... the bane to repair it yourself ....

Droolz
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
It's looking like we'll be getting there about 6:30, seems work is interupting play as per usual. See you all tomorrow.

danshewan
03-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Never fear guys, I will be in attendance tomorrow - thanks to the sagely advice of a techie friend of mine, I managed to repair the Mac myself. Man, do I owe him a favor. After all that, it turned out to be quite simple, really.....

Again, Leigh - that was too kind. I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else tomorrow evening. I'll arrange for the table size to be reduced to 10-12, which should leave enough room for late additions and guests. I'll be there at 6pm, and if no-one else is there I can secure the table.

See you guys tomorrow.

leigh
03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Awesome, you fixed your machine! :thumbsup:

I'm still happy to sponsor someone a pint though :)

koshime
03-29-2007, 08:40 AM
As a gentle caution: weather's crap today. rainfall ++ wind 3 m/s (just right for food and drinks then :)

Leigh - not perchance affiliated with these sponsored pints or they come
laced with druidic super painting juice?

mdee
03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I am tall guy, long hair. Other than that I look like my avatar.

leigh
03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Mmm druidic super juice.

koshime
03-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Tapped from the flavoured ales of belgos....hmmm Honeyed mead

BTW leigh > could you contact andrew on our behalf. Email and PM turned on deaf ears since we last applied for a UK chapter....

leigh
03-29-2007, 10:48 AM
No problem. I'll see what I can do.

AnimZiggy
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
i got similar haircut as my avatar... im at a new gig this week so i'm be a bit late...hopefully i ll be there.

leigh
03-29-2007, 10:16 PM
That was fun, guys. Let's do it again soon :) :)

koshime
03-29-2007, 11:29 PM
u got home fast.

Anyone game to try painting enviroments/ID stuff

plugging ESG thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=434606) here

Droolz
03-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Man I s-t-i-n-k of garlic. My missus practically threw me out the house this morning.

It was great, and nice to meet you all. You're a really nice bunch. Let's do it again, and try to remember the drunken optomism that was 'Yeah, lets meet in Oxford next time, good idea' ;).

See you all soon,

Jules

danshewan
03-30-2007, 09:16 AM
It was great, and nice to meet you all. You're a really nice bunch. Let's do it again, and try to remember the drunken optomism that was 'Yeah, lets meet in Oxford next time, good idea' ;).

Yeah, I've got to learn to keep quiet after a few beers...... :D

I had a great time - except watching Jules scrape the garlic out of his beer. Man, that was too much. Definitely looking forward to next time.

Dan

koshime
03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Soooo, that is what it was. I thought it was foam ++++ and that Jules was just being particular about his lager and foam...har har.

Really went for garlic.
My missus threw me out of bed, had ot shower, scrub ++ but justhad to sleep on the other side of bed

AnimZiggy
03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
hahaha you guys... my bf stayed as his house last night and prob wise enough...havent had comments at work...about it yet...only one guy fainted when he got near me :scream:

we defo need to do it again!

mdee
04-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Great meeting guys, lot's of fun and garlic wasn't that bad as I thought it would be:)

koshime
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
now to cobble together a group animated short.....har har
about the secret life of VFX artists....

AnimZiggy
04-01-2007, 11:14 AM
now to cobble together a group animated short.....har har
about the secret life of VFX artists....

ha ha and the massive garlic monster that can only die with parsley :P

koshime
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Today - we decided to play a practical joke and knobbled our own game engine with some stars and special effects

Before:

http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/Media/Screenshots/flamberge14.jpg

After

And now.
presenting to you a new improved graphics engine, featuring the state of totally deformable, real time planetary motion and tracking, full newtonian and quantum physics, utilizing special flower graphics and essence of herbal

I present to you the I-Flower (http://fl-tw.com/InfinityForums/viewtopic.php?t=4177&highlight=) engine. Tadah!!!

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2.jpg

Service guarantees citizenship

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2-1.jpg

Ranek stole betel's flower. Poor betel, now deflowered....

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2-2.jpg

Stary stary night....

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2-3.jpg

Spaceballs II: Return of the Flo

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2-4.jpg

Rocks that smell of roses.....(Infinity: The Quest For Weeeeed)

http://www.medievalfx.com/infinity/icp2.2-5.jpg

Only Real men fight with herbal essence!
Time to go with the Flo!

In other news....we present to you instant top breaking news: (http://fl-tw.com/InfinityForums/viewtopic.php?t=4176&highlight=)

Here is a solemn excerpt of the sad sad development:
of the once promising premise of 100 billion solar systems to enjoy from the producers of Infinity: The Quest for the Galactic Weed

Quote:
Dear community,

This is with great sadness that I must announce a bad news ( sort of ).

We have decided to review the promised features list and to cut some of them to be able to complete the project in a realistic time frame, and to differenciate us even more from the competition. The following list is not exhaustive, but here are some of the most important changes:

- the game will no longer be a MMO, but exclusively solo.
- planetary landing is removed, it was all pre-rendered in Terragen and would look crap in real-time anyway.
- in order to keep performance up, it will no longer be twitch based, but play as point & click. Newtonian physics is overrated and playing the view upside-down is dangerous for your mental health anyway..
- the game will now be wholy jumpgate-based. We thought that the freedom of the previously-planed hyperdrive would confuse newbies too much.
- we'll remove collision detection.. nobody likes to bump into objects.
- there will only be around 5000 star systems, and not a full galaxy. They will only feature one sun and a couple of random planets, and they won't be moving on their orbits anymore. It was causing too many designs problems (what if you were taken in sandwich between two colliding planets?).
- you will no longer be able to acquire a station, a city or a planet. You will never have enough credits to afford those, so it was wasted time to implement them.
- we'll introduce a system of races and skills to make the game more interesting, because we all know that a game without those will be boring. 5 races will be available: the Rrama (directly inspired from A.C.Clarke of course!), the Iradlac, the Etnellag, the Evoj and the Ratamnim.

To reflect those changes, we also decided to rename the game. We have settled on a new name.. let's all wish a warm welcome to "Adam Offline" !

mdee
04-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I can see, you are still under influence of garlic...:)

p.s. just saw Pan's Labirynth, damn good movie and great effects which really help to tell the story.

sketchling
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Garlic wasnt so bad! Maybe I was just lucky :) And I ate plenty parsley. Now that I think of it I did get plenty room on the tube. BONUS!

Was great to meet everyone. I agree with Leigh, lets do it again :)

mdee
08-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Hey guys, just saying hello and have a question - does anybody know an IP lawyer who won't charge me 100 pounds per hour? Someone is using my designs in a product without giving me any credits...

p.s. Should we organize another meeting soon?:)

koshime
08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
it'd be nice to meet up again.

Anyone got a cool place to hang out or want to visit some galleries, etc?

kenwalters
08-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I wondered what all that pollution was over London, it's garlic and I thought it was diesel fumes thankfully I never became a chef:)

I'm a beginner to this type of artwork, at the moment I just do digital art and skins. But am looking towards CGI or similar, comments on software available would be appreciated.

I'm up in the wild windy north of England called Lancashire.

Ken

stewartjones
08-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I just moved up to the North too. Rain, wind, and cold mornings... :sad:

seZereth
09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Heya guys!

Right now I am living in Bedford (hat small thing between oxford and cambridge ;)).
I`ll stay in UK until 9th of October, then I will move back to Germany.

I would like to take the opportiunity meeting some (all) of you in a pub or elsewhere. Perhaps we can meet in London (open for suggestions!) on one of the upcoming weekends?!

Anyone up for it?!

koshime
09-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah! where abouts?

seZereth
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah! where abouts?

you seem to be the resident :) so I think your knowledge of hidden insider pubs and clubs should be far superior to mine ;)
I am open for everything, have been to london several times, but I cant get enough of it.

Lets see who else likes to join us.

what about next weekend?

Droolz
09-14-2007, 09:00 PM
hey all, hope you're all well. I'd be up for another get together - if you can find somewhere as amsuing as garlic and shots again that would be cool. the bad point being I can;t make next weekend :(.

But hey, if people are up for it another time?

jules

seZereth
09-15-2007, 12:40 AM
I would be fine with in two weeks, too, if that means that more people can attend :)

seZereth
09-19-2007, 11:15 PM
So, again, who is up for a meeting, where and when?
get active :P

AnimZiggy
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
well i'm up for it too but it has to be a week night!

seZereth
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
well i'm up for it too but it has to be a week night!

you mean no weekend?
hmm, well, i come home from work at half past 5 earliest. then it takes me an hour by train to london and another hour back, so week night is unfortunate, but if it means more people are up for it, then ill take the journey on my shoulders :)

leigh
09-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I might come if you can organise something during the week, although the next two weeks are going to be a bit crazy for me because I am moving house.

seZereth
09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
ok, ill leave england at the 9th of october, so if it is possible to get as much of you together before that, i would be really really happy.

cheers :)

just let me know when.

AnimZiggy
09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
yeah... i understand...but im bit the same for weekends.... as im quite far out too.

mattclinch
09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey!

Finally decided to part with 15 quid and join this CG Soceity to see what all the fun i was missing out on was.

Glad to see there is a UK Chapter, and would love to offer my drinking services to any future meets.

msn is afrika_shox@hotmail.com (don't ask)
and i'm based just outside zone 1 in west london (norf of the river)

seZereth
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
welcome mattclinch.

I wanna let you all know, that I will be in London this weekend, saturday.
I gonna visit the Dali universe enjoying the worlds best surrealist!
and would like to meet up with all of you, either there (next to london eye ;) ) or after that in a pub.

who is up for it???

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.