PDA

View Full Version : inverted subdivision?

xsitar
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
is it possible to apply a "inverted subdivision" to decrease the detail?

i have a existing model already with a dense topology and i'd like to reduce the subdivision. polygon reduction or filtering doesn't work, because it's too messy.

possible somehow without remodeling it to a lower mesh?

Saturn
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
have a try with the polygon reduction option

xsitar
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
you didn't read my post, did you?

Sil3
02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
If you have Zbrush try this:

- Import the mesh as an .obj (all quads)

- Tools---Geometry---Reconstruct Subdiv (it will "UnSubdivide the mesh)

- Lower the Rez and hit Reconstruct Subdiv again.

- Repeat the process until ZBrush cant do it no more because it wont be able to make an all Quad mesh out of it.

Zbrush have a lot of cool features, and Polygon reduction can be one of them, i personally never understood why a Polygon Reduction tool wont respesct the Quad mesh and triples everything, might work for Games and Lods or Non Deformable objects, but everything else is a PITA to work with.

Hope it helps

grahamef
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Did you play with XSI's Polygon Reduction settings or just accept the defaults? There are several settings that can help avoid the "messy" results. I'd recommend you have a look at "Reduce parallel edge loops" or "Preserve quad lines".

JDex
02-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Did you play with XSI's Polygon Reduction settings or just accept the defaults? There are several settings that can help avoid the "messy" results. I'd recommend you have a look at "Reduce parallel edge loops" or "Preserve quad lines".

Agreed... I've found it useful on many different types of meshes.

oktawu
02-02-2007, 11:13 AM
in case u have an initial highres subd mesh, and u need a clean lower res model out of it
then reduction is pretty much useless. in which case, retopologizing tools are ur only option...and pretty much every software that has a snap tool and a poly create tool can do it, its just alot of work. currently nex in maya is by far the fastest and easiest retopology tool out there.
of course u can also use the reduction tools, and then start rerouting ur edge loops, but it will probably take u just as much as doing a full reconstruction from scratch. ur choice
as far as reduction tools, in case the built in reduction tools of ur 3d software can't make it, take a look at cyslice. its able to do reductions that no other 3d app can handle. of course it triangulates everything, so u have to quadrangulate and then rebuilt ur egdes. but thats like a last resort.
try retopoly tools, and rebuilt ur mesh, if u want clean, predictable deforms

ciao

mdee
02-03-2007, 09:54 AM
is it possible to apply a "inverted subdivision" to decrease the detail?

i have a existing model already with a dense topology and i'd like to reduce the subdivision. polygon reduction or filtering doesn't work, because it's too messy.

possible somehow without remodeling it to a lower mesh?

If your model is clean, initally you can delete every other edge loop (it can be scripted to some extend). This should give you good starting point, then adjust manually.

jankin
02-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm doing a plugin for this at the moment. It will be released in some days...

Sil3
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm doing a plugin for this at the moment. It will be released in some days...

:thumbsup:

Actually this is one of those things that i wonder why no other 3d Prog besides Zbrush had come up with...

el_diablo
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Actually this is one of those things that i wonder why no other 3d Prog besides Zbrush had come up with...

Laziness?

:)

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.