PDA

View Full Version : Updated Demo Reel

Triple G
02-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Dunno if this is the proper place to post this, but since it was done primarily with Lightwave (and since this is pretty much the only forum I frequent on CGtalk), I figured I'd post it here.

If you follow the link in my sig, you can check out my demo reel which I recently updated. It's not quite as polished as I'd like it to be...eventually, I'd like to add a few more shots from personal projects and generally make it a bit flashier and more polished. I also noticed a few of the shots came out a bit dark due to compression...hafta go back and fix that when I get a chance. But for now, I'd be interested to know what you guys think. :)

Oh....the movie is 8.9MB, Quicktime, Sorenson 3 compression. :beer:

<<edit>> I recompressed the file, managed to chop it down to just under 7MB now. Sorenson 3 rocks...:xtreme:

Willax
02-24-2003, 08:06 AM
No crits from me. I thought it was done very well and enjoyed it.

Triple G
02-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Willax. Glad you enjoyed it. Hmm...was kinda hoping for a bit more feedback from others here...oh well, no big deal I guess. :hmm:

takkun
02-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Very nice! I love the cell animations! Thanks for sharing.

The one thing I didn't like is the car at the beginning, you should put your best work at the start-- the car is nice and all but the Jimmy Neutron and cell animations were a lot more impressive.

And for some reason the quicktime doesn't start playing until it is completely downloaded.

Chagidiel
02-25-2003, 12:43 AM
Well done! Good demoreel and really inspiring to view.

Some really impressive stuff with the building-up of that ball-thing (where the letters "LUV" was typed)... Please share some info on that setup :bounce:
and finally I got to see something visual from all this talk about bloodcells lately :)

Only "crit"; maybe a little long sequence with the car in the beginning... what is it with LW:rs and cars ;) ?

Big deal indeed... strange so few seem to have seen it...

(An idea; even though people can read I think the few hits here might have something to do with that the link to your reel is in your signature.
I was well on my way to the back-buton when I read and actually realized where the anim was. You know: "Ahh! New demoreel, letīs check it out [click] ... aw.. bla bla bla... hmm... no link here... must be something wrong... letīs go back)

Anyhooo... Great work Triple G :thumbsup:

Captain
02-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Great Reel....Those Medical anims were amazingly impressive stuff, I commend you on a great presentation. THat song is tight to...RIP Golgatha.

-Captain

proton
02-25-2003, 01:09 AM
Great reel! I would re-order it....the spinning car seems a bit out of place.....maybe move it to the middle.....start off with something cooler like the Jimmy stuff or teh medical anims......

Facial Deluxe
02-25-2003, 01:28 AM
Very cool indeed !

Triple G
02-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Captain
THat song is tight to...RIP Golgatha.

Wow, Captain....you're the first person that's actually recognized where that music came from....I'm impressed. Most people have no idea...

Regarding the car and it's placement, I think you guys are right....I agree 100%. At one point, it was my best work, but I don't think it is any more. I want to get a few more shots put together of some personal projects, then I'm really going to sit down and re-edit the entire thing. This was basically just a rehash of my old reel, with not many changes other than sliding a few shots around and deleting some of the stuff which now falls into the category of "having a bit too much suck". :p

Thanks for all the great compliments though, guys...coming to this forum makes me feel really humble when I see all the great work that's posted on pretty much a daily basis. I'm honored and pleased that you guys liked it. :beer:

@Chagidiel: Regarding the setup of the shot that you mentioned, I wish I could say there were some fancy tricks employed, but there really weren't. That was one of the first medical shots I had ever done, and I had never done a shot of that magnitude or complexity before. So basically, I just plowed through it as best I could and wound up keying just about everything by hand. I positioned each individual lipid (the blue-headed things with the green legs) where I wanted it at the end, then backed up and keyed them all apart from each other, while setting some intermediate keys so they didn't travel in straight lines or pass through each other. I did this for each row, and rendered them in separate passes...comped them all together in After Effects, and that was that. It was a LOT of work, but most of it was pretty straightforward. Looking back on it now, I can think of probably at least half a dozen things I could've done that would've made the shot easier to manage, but oh well....live and learn.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, guys. I'll keep them in mind when I go back to re-edit. :airguitar

Chagidiel
02-25-2003, 02:22 AM
Live and learn... or even better (as in your case) do or die! :D

Thanks for sharing. Actually I can find it very inspiring to hear when people have done really amazing and complicated things "the hard way", without using the "make good-tool".

Bunch of cred for that! :)

Facial Deluxe
02-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Triple G
That was one of the first medical shots I had ever done, and I had never done a shot of that magnitude or complexity before. So basically, I just plowed through it as best I could and wound up keying just about everything by hand. I positioned each individual lipid (the blue-headed things with the green legs) where I wanted it at the end, then backed up and keyed them all apart from each other, while setting some intermediate keys so they didn't travel in straight lines or pass through each other. I did this for each row, and rendered them in separate passes...comped them all together in After Effects, and that was that. It was a LOT of work, but most of it was pretty straightforward. Looking back on it now, I can think of probably at least half a dozen things I could've done that would've made the shot easier to manage, but oh well....live and learn.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, guys. I'll keep them in mind when I go back to re-edit. :airguitar

:surprised Uuuuuh ...and how long to do this ?

Triple G
02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Luckily it wasn't a really tight deadline....it wound up taking me about a month to do. Like I said though....it was one of the first "professional" shots I had ever done, so I really didn't know many shortcuts or time-saving techniques yet. I'd like to think that if I had the shot to do over again, I'd be able to do a better job in a shorter amount of time. (At least that's what I keep telling myself...:D )

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.