PDA

View Full Version : My feature request

toonafish
02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Just installed my 6.0 Ess upgrade.

The first thing that I checked were the selection tools. I was hoping those would have been improved.

A good thing is that it doesn't change back to the Default Rectangle all the time ( only the mouse cursor does...weird ), but still only a raycast lasso, freeform etc.

But how am I supposed to select though a wireframe object with the lasso or freeform selection tool ??
I can't, so all that's left is using the rectangle tool which s**** for modeling.

So please, anyone out there at Soft...could we have some decent selection tools ?? At least give us ray cast on/off for every selection tool and not just the default rectangle which makes all the other selection modes virtualy useless.

thanks.

Edit: skip the part on "not changing back to default rectangle"....my mistake, it still does.... :-(

AngelDream
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
First of all, are you asking this to Softimage too?
After getting used to select with LW lasso and quickly using the different mouse modes for pivot when modeling is a bit hard to get on XSI workflow. Anyway, now I find it refreshing and I feel that I'm planning a bit better since I can't freely select here, there, and over there and beyond. I was already using Wings3d selection so XSI's was easy. XSI has a more mature modeling environment and this includes selections and pivots when modeling. Once you get used to it is better than anything.

PS: LW has been created to build spaceships. How do you know? when you see that Gravity dynamics is set to 0.

toonafish
02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
well, I was kind of hoping someone from Soft would be reading this, so that's a yes on the first question.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of your reply. But maybe XSI's selection tools are better then those in Wings3d. I wouldn't know, never used Wings3d.
But it sure feels stoneage when you're used to the intuitive way the selection tools work in Modo.

Very simple : Lasso, Rectangle, Circle or Elipse selection tool and wireframe = not raycast, opengl or shaded = raycast with all selection tools.

I'm still amazed this is such a neglected area in a high end app like XSI. As if XSI users don't know any better, while this is something everyone uses so much every day.

norvman
02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
I think you have a point... having also come from LW I to had a bit of adjusting to do with the selection tools in XSI... but I also don't really miss them...

but I have to differ with AngelDream a bit and say that I think that the selection portion of XSI is just a bit Archaic...and with something like Selections that you do a million times in a project that can make a big diff on the long end of things...

But I would also send an email to the XSI guys...
or you might even try posting here...

http://forum.softimage.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=9

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.