PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp #3: (ElysiumGX) : (BattleToads: Rash)

ElysiumGX
02-24-2003, 04:11 AM
I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish this, but one month should be plenty of time for me to try. After debating many choices, my entry will be, Rash, from the NES game BattleToads. Hurray for the NES comeback!

http://elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/battletoads.jpg
http://elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash.jpg

I hope to upload some reference sketches when I find the time.
The requirements given are slightly above my talent, but I hope to improve with this project. Good luck to all the participants.:thumbsup:

modeling-man
02-24-2003, 04:39 AM
hehe I remember Battle Toads...I hated em...I was such a huge fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I remember when this game was being released I got so mad. Oh well shows you how much of a dork I am. Anyways this will be a cool model to see...I think maybe even the next game concept we should all do a model from an old 8 bit game...that'd be cool considering they seem to be bringing them all back now.
B

MrHappyPants
02-24-2003, 06:28 AM
awesome! I had forgot about that game.. it was pretty good if i remember right..

Keiyentai
02-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Battle Toads is BY FAR MY FAVORITE GAME IN THE WORLD! I wish I still had my NES and Battle Toads! :xtreme: I can't wait to see what you do! The SNES version was cool too. Battle and Double Dragon was awesome as well but Battle Toads for NES is the BEST. If I ever make it in to CG and VIdeogame making (Learning LightWave and Maya) I'm going to get all of the Battle Toads games including the Blood and gore filled Arcade version:) :beer:

sumpm1
02-24-2003, 11:43 AM
oh yes

BattleToads the original was the shiot! I have an NES emulator and my kid loves that game

SPyDeR WeBz
02-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh yea

Kick ass man n.e.s. was a long time ago.

But you've picked a old time favorite of mine 'never did finish that game', But i'm thinking that if you create one you can generaly create them all with a base mesh.

That would make for some kick ass renders with them all in 3D=).

Hope to see progress shots soon.

ElysiumGX
02-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Glad to know people remember them. It's difficult to find good artwork based on the game. If I finish this one, I'll definately try modeling the other 2 characters. The renders would make some nice wallpaper. I could also release the model with all three skins for Quake 3 if there is enough demand. I'm sure the guys over at Polycount would enjoy that. They haven't received a finished model from me so far.

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rashref.jpg
I found some time to do a model reference. Added a little color as well. I should start box modeling tomorrow to work out the basic shape of the mesh.

tpe
02-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Bufo bufo are brill, nice work.

tpe

DustyKrakk
02-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Good character to choose.....I owned that game when I was in the 5th-6th grade and I played it DAILY. I never got past the 4th level though, I don't think. ;)

-Dusty

ElysiumGX
02-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by tpe
Bufo bufo are brill

??? what?:surprised

tpe
02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Bufo is for the (super?) family for toads, your typical common toad, cane toad and all that with the poisen glands on the backs of the heads and in their warts. because they are usually bad tasting they rarly get eaten and even though some of them eat mice for some reason they are extreemly difficult to agrivate and dont bite when cornered (there is actually one exception that bites nearly everything that comes near it, even if it is as big as a lion), so they are the most mild tempered herpet there is, and extreemly cute ;). anyway please hurry up and post a mesh i want to see this guy in all his green glory :).

tpe

ElysiumGX
02-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks for clearing that up TPE. I'll do some frog (and toad) studying before I plan out the texturing.:p

Moving right along. I've started work on the basic shape of the model in editable poly. Working with the outline of the reference before leading into more detail.
http://elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rashmesh01.jpg

I'm having fun with this. It's helping me to redefine my technique. Most of the skills I'm using are new to me. Because of that, any constructive critiques, advice, or general comments will be helpful. I may actually finish this.:airguitar

Vex
02-28-2003, 06:33 PM
That's not too bad. The knee area looks a bit odd right now, and in the side view reference pic it looks like he has 2 knees. Try making the chest a tad more V shaped and also post a pic of the side view and front view once you get the rest of the model finished.

ElysiumGX
02-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Argh!...It does look like he has two knees on the side view. I thought that looked strange. Thanks.

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 10:19 AM
coming along nicely! try and capture the frog proportions by stretching those legs more.. from the source pics it looks like the legs are longer then the length of the torso and head. youve got them short and havent added the head yet. think frog legs! :thumbsup: :beer:

ElysiumGX
03-17-2003, 03:19 AM
Alright, so hard times are upon me and I'm finding it difficult to work on this dude. But, I'm determined to finish with something...sooner or later.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't done much lately, but here we go.
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash003.jpg

I must start adding detail soon. You know, important stuff, like hands and feet...oh and his head.:annoyed:

ElysiumGX
03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
To celebrate being unemployed, a little more work done on the model.

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash004.jpg

With a few more details, some edge turning and adjusting, the mesh should be finished. I'll probably half ass the texture in order to submit the model...depends on how much longer I'm jobless. Anyone know how to bake lighting to texture in Gmax IF it's possible?

Any more crits? I see the legs and shoulders need more work. I still have to add the belt, arm brace, and sunglasses.:cool:

MrHappyPants
03-25-2003, 08:29 PM
looks good! I think hes really close, you should just add those spikey belts and get the texture on him. youll be able to manipulate him a little later anyways.. the texture will tell you more.

:thumbsup:

ElysiumGX
03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
You're right. I already made minor adjustments on the calves and the head and shoulders *snicker snicker*. I think tonight I'll finish the accessories and begin mapping.

ElysiumGX
03-26-2003, 04:26 AM
Some simple color and wireframes before i move along.
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash005.jpg
Next on the agenda: convert to mesh, turn edges, optimize, begin mapping.
The mapping itself could take an entire day, I'm not so great at it.

SPyDeR WeBz
03-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey, man i've been checking in now and then & the model is looking fantastic.

How many poly's now? The facial expression really adds to his character, you've so far done a super'b' Job man. =)

Make sure you use all or near 2500 it's better than just letting them go to waste.

To think of it you should model the jet mobile,"if you don't want to add more detail to him"; they used to hurtel the cave? <- uh if i remmeber correctly.

Great job again.

Cya
SPyDeR

ElysiumGX
03-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Since the deadline is nearing, and I'm not a great texture artist...the modeling is done. I've converted to mesh, and cleaned up a bit. Time to start mapping.

I'll be submitting the model with a current polycount of 1728. The most I've done so far for a single model. Afterwards I plan to continue adding detail. I'll have to find the game and see what else I can add...like the jet you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you noticed the facial expression. I like to add that to my models to give them more life. Too many game characters today seem very bland and lifeless. Almost like moving statues.
Soul (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/souldesigns/portfolio.html) is one of few modelers I've seen who can add so much life from a simple expression. I'd like to reach his level of detail in my work.

MrHappyPants
03-27-2003, 05:01 AM
YEAH! he looks awesome with the white teethy grin! cant wait to see the end product.. everyones got great entrys

i wouldnt worry about the polycount thing.. i know alot of people are telling entrants to use em all but why? if you capture the look in less its better for an engine.. and thats what were creating. game art! great work, makes me wanna play the oldskool games all over again

:beer:

ElysiumGX
03-27-2003, 07:52 AM
NOOOOO!!! :cry:

4 hours of UV Mapping wasted! I tried a new technique and of course it didn't work. I took the mesh apart and spread the pieces out above a plane, that way I could use one planar map and use a screenshot of the mesh to show proper shading. I can't get the pieces back to the original shape. Guess I should have learned how to Morph first.

Luckily, I saved the original mesh. Back to the drawing board. I know what I'll be doing all day.

Oh crap! The submission thread is up...gotta hurry!

ElysiumGX
03-29-2003, 05:04 AM
I am the KING of mapping! Wooooo!
I can't feel my legs!
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rashmap.jpg

Two days of texturing ahead.:arteest:

MrHappyPants
03-29-2003, 05:57 AM
if toads were checkered youd be done... but there not :surprised

h0pesfall
03-29-2003, 06:17 AM
nice wrapping indeed, almost no sign of warping, except a TINY bit near the top part of the neck (just before the head), and i'm not even sure it is warped. I guess it just seems that way coz of the perspective. Well, good job :buttrock:

ElysiumGX
03-30-2003, 08:04 PM
You've never seen a checkered frog? Pffft...get with it. :p
And yes there is some warping on the neck area, but that's the best I could get it. I'll try to hide it with the texture. Some beta testing for a game is distracting me from working on this...but I will finish...I hope.

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash006.jpg
I have all the smaller peices textured. Now comes the really icky part. I wouldn't mind having tpe's talents right about now.

I've improved since Bobo's 24 hour challenge. Tpe is right, this has been great motivation, and I'm definately adding to my portfolio.

MrHappyPants
03-30-2003, 10:14 PM
oh I cant believe how good this is looking! If the green skin turns out nice you are going to have an excellent piece! keep it you have time to finish.. every comp so far has slipped a little (a day or so) and weve got people finished who havent submitted. keep it up!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ElysiumGX
03-31-2003, 08:25 AM
I want my life back!!! :cry:

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/rash007.jpg
A quick shot of the skin so far. I have an annoying crease on the shoulder, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. This is the most difficult process for me. I hope to get it layed out and adjust the lighting before I add a few more details and finish the head.

I need more time.:annoyed: I'm in EST, when does this officially end? Monday at midnight?

MrHappyPants
03-31-2003, 08:32 AM
awesome! looking good! the deadline is april 1st 12:00am GMT time. but dont stress.. youll have time, Ill put up the judges folder monday night/tuesday morning and let them start voting. as long you finish and post before tuesday morning pst time you should be fine.

no locks will go on the submission thread :p

:beer:

DaKrunch
03-31-2003, 12:31 PM
so... that's getting really cool!
this contest is getting VERY interesting!!!

:thumbsup:

MrHappyPants
03-31-2003, 10:29 PM
try to post by 12:00am april 2nd GMT time

thats when the judging should start.

keep it up!

ElysiumGX
03-31-2003, 10:38 PM
The model is as complete as I can get it.
I'm designing a pose, and getting all my images together.

So far all the submitted characters look great. :thumbsup:

Ravennome
04-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Great stuff, great idea, I love that game. You're work is true to the spirti of the title. I would shoot for some more detail in the maps, I mean now that you have time. Make em look like a toad, cartoony but with the bumps and slime, just a thought.

I here Rare is going to make a new version of it Battletoad, you know that whole retro thing coming around.

ElysiumGX
04-01-2003, 05:16 AM
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/perspviews.jpg

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/render02.jpg
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/battletoads/render01.jpg

Finally my life can get back to normal. Even if this isn't the best model I'll ever do, it's still far beyond my level...this took forever! I think I need to take a break...then try to build up my speed.

A 3D remake of the game...that would be nice. I wonder if they would hire me?:drool:

Thanks for all your feedback. I'll clean this guy up a little and pimp him on polycount soon.:bowdown:

Edouard
04-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Cool model, I also hope to see the battle toads back in action.:wip:

MrHappyPants
04-01-2003, 08:58 AM
excellent man!! I never thought this guy was going to turn out this good. wait that sounds wrong haha.. i just mean hes turned out VERY high quality and you should be proud! I love the colors and shading.. I love the highlighted veins, and most of all I think you nailed the cheesy grin! the only thing I see where you could improve on the next model (and I cant talk cause my latest model will have probs) is the joints.. looks like you didnt add enough divisions around the shoulder/elbow/knee/pelvis. I could be wrong and the mesh could deform perfectly though :p

i also know what your saying about speed.. Time is money, and those who can work fast are very valuable. you do get faster though. with each model.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Teyon
06-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Very cool! I like the work.

ElysiumGX
06-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Wow...thanks. Surprised me to see this thread again.
I need to improve this bad boy and add him to Quake 3 soon.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.