PDA

View Full Version : explosions in space

pomme
02-24-2003, 03:37 AM
there's a scene we'll be creating in maya with small spaceships attacking a bigger spaceship, which app is the best for creating bright explosions in space (zero gravity)? we're going to be using pc. I'm looking for extreme realism in the effect.

Thanks for any advice, we're new to this, but we see ourselves using effects like this often in the future.

pomme

wgriffiths2000
02-24-2003, 05:13 AM
okay well if you are going for extream realism there realy is no explosion in space unless it lets off light that is not created with flame also there would not be any smoke. If i wanted to do a real explosion in space it would just be flashes of light and debrie. I would probly do the effect in maya to just for the control you get then i would resize comp in combustion. though i am just a student so i realy dont know much.

eudemonie
02-24-2003, 02:53 PM
--

yes, interesting thing here. from the point of realism wgriffiths2000 is right, there is no fire & smoke in space.

but in CGI realism is often what people accept to happen.

lots of these little explosions and laser effects could be done
with combustion 2 and particles. Mixed with some real explosion
stock could look very - ... "realistic".

--
eu

DanMan
02-24-2003, 11:03 PM
yah when doing space fights you are best off chuking the laws a physics. And eudemonie is right its always good to use real life explostions and comp them into your sence with some particles though it all depends what you have acces to.

pomme
02-25-2003, 02:20 AM
where could I find stock footage of explosions? with alpha if possible.

eudemonie
02-25-2003, 10:58 AM
-

there are no free stock footage available in this resolution
( Pal / NTSC or even higher) as I know.

you can order clips from dosch, marlin, etc.

--
eu

dg
02-25-2003, 11:36 AM
You can use Maya particle and dynamics system with mental ray or some other renderer, you can achieve some very good results.
You can also try particle Illusion from .wondertouch (http://www.wondertouch.com/) or compustion particle system

I hope that helps,
See Ya! :thumbsup:

pomme
02-25-2003, 09:06 PM
thanks, the info you gave me was incredibly useful

freerider
02-28-2003, 02:11 AM
If you have a spaceship exploding in space, realisticly you could actually get an explosion with flames. It would be a short one, but the ship itself could hold enough oxygen for a short burn.

jussing
02-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Going off the OT line, regarding expl. in space:

I never studied physics, so take it for what you want. :) Here's what I think:

Yeah, as freerider says, you can have explosions in space. Flames and all.

When sattelites and space shuttles manueuver in space, they burn fuel right out of the nozzles, into empty space. That fuel won't REFUSE to burn, just because there's no oxygene. So there, fire in space.

And remember that big, bright yellow thing in the sky? Yeah, the sun. That's one big fireball, floating around in space, burning away, feeding on it's own fuel.

As long as there's a fuel source, you can have all the fire in space you want.

Sure, it won't feed off of the oxygene, linger in the wind and lick around like campfire flames, as we know fire from down here. It'll propably be more of a burst-flame, bursting as long as there's fuel for it, and it'll spread and die relatively quick.

But sure it can be colorful and firery.

Oh, but you can't have that trademarked hollywood ROLLING fireball that we're used to, cause the rolling comes because of hot air rising in the middle, pulling the sides down, and smoke particles slowing down because of air resistance.

-And most zero-g stock explosions look to me like they're rolling fireballs filmed from above.

And of course, BIG explosions in atmosphere also have a secondary IMplosion, which you won't see in space either.

Come to think of it, I think an explosion in space would actually have something that LOOKS like a spheric shockwave, expanding at insane speed, then fading away. -Only it's not a shockwave, it's alle the particles immediately released in the explosion, that just drift away at constant speed with nothing to redirect or slow them down... hm...

Actually, based on this hardly qualified "essay", I'd say REAL space explosions propably look more like CG explosions than stock zero-G explosions, because particles in CG exposions tend to drift away too quickly on their own, instead of klinging on to each other and linger in the turbulence...

The problem here is, your audience doesn't know what a REAL space explosion looks like (few people ever saw one, or real footage of one), so if you want it to LOOK real, you gonna have to make it deliberately fake, like DanMan said. ;)

Oh well... like I said, what do I know? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
- Jonas

Squeakypics
03-07-2003, 10:39 PM
You could try ParticleIllusion. V3 is just about to come out and I have to say My tool box is the better for this little piece of magic:
http://www.wondertouch.com/default.asp

makkbru
03-13-2003, 08:24 AM
rocket engine fuel is oxygen and hydrogen... makes a big nice flaming explosions....(I think the flames is kind of invisible-like thoug)... and besides lots of thing burns without oxygen, like powder for instance (not many people carrying powder in spaceships though)

but if you are talking about a spaceship attacking another spaceship, it would have to be some years into the future... maybe somone invented space-napalm or something and used it to fuel the ships engine... :) big-barra-boom!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.