PDA

View Full Version : 3d Cartoon Music Video

GetToTheTop
01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
I used Maya for animating, modeling and texturing. I think I really love animating and I think that's the field I will concentrate on. I didn't do any rendering, just regular playblasting and then imported the clips in Adobe Premiere. This was a project I did for a college course, we were asked to do a 1-5 minute film and I decided to make a video with my music in the background. I created a character model of me, I thought it'd be pretty cool watching me animated. :) I just want to share my 3D music video with you guys so you can critique on how I can improve. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir5KZXPRtI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zir5KZXPRtI)

DripsBlack
02-02-2007, 04:44 AM
At the risk of being insensitive...I'm going to ask a question that I hope I'm not alone in wondering. That question is....why? Why make an animation of someone sitting in close up simply mouth synching the lyrics? Why not just film it? I know you had a project to do and all... But animating the video didn't do anything positive. It didn't accomplish anything that video couldnt.

Technically the animation obviously needs work. As a whole its all very floaty...and lacks character. Start smaller...build on the basics...then tackle larger projects. I promiss your instructors (like HR reps) would rather see short examples of amazing animation than sit through 4 minutes of mediocrity. Sorry for being so negative...but its too long of a piece to critique constructively.

GetToTheTop
02-02-2007, 02:56 PM
At the risk of being insensitive...I'm going to ask a question that I hope I'm not alone in wondering. That question is....why? Why make an animation of someone sitting in close up simply mouth synching the lyrics? Why not just film it? I know you had a project to do and all... But animating the video didn't do anything positive. It didn't accomplish anything that video couldnt.

Technically the animation obviously needs work. As a whole its all very floaty...and lacks character. Start smaller...build on the basics...then tackle larger projects. I promiss your instructors (like HR reps) would rather see short examples of amazing animation than sit through 4 minutes of mediocrity. Sorry for being so negative...but its too long of a piece to critique constructively.

Thanks for the criticism. Well I did this animation because I just wanted to see me in 3d cartoon. lol. And I thought the resolution playblasting (maya) would be better rather than using my camera that doesn't even take good quality shots.

What do you mean by floaty? I know what you mean by lacks character, like I should've exaggerated more. Jeez, I guess my Desktop Video teacher in Art Institute of Ft.Lauderdale didn't really know anything about animation that's why he thought it was so good and kept telling me that I was so talented. :shrug: He was amazed the whole time he was watching the video in front of the whole class. This is what I like about this cgtalk site, there are actually professionals here that can tell the difference between bad animation and good animation. :)

ErikSvensson
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM

I can kinda agree with this, actually. sorry. I cannot believe that they told you to do a 1 TO 5 min sequence. ? how long was the deadline for all this? even 1 min of quality takes soo much time really. :)

My tip would be to take like the 10 first seconds of the movie, do it again, focused and really good, then process on, somewere around 10 second-blocks is fine to work with i think. instead of 3 min of mediocre animation. Because it lacks some snappyness, posÚs and clean arcs. But it's a good attempt at least, it's not horrible so if you keep it more focused you'll make it even better. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.