PDA

View Full Version : dotXSI & multiple polygon cluster import problems

TonyEdwards
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm writing a dotXSI exporter script for another application and am running into a problem with XSI importing the generated .xsi file.

The .xsi file is created exactly as XSI exports one but when the file is imported into XSI I only get one cluster, named after the first cluster in the file and contianing all polygons. The mesh is fine.

While it could be something I'm doing, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the file I'm creating because the same thing happens with a .xsi file created by XSI.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm still using 4.2 and exporting to dotXSI 3.6 and I'm working with polygon clusters.

Thanks in advance.

TonyEdwards
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I did some more testing with various files generated by XSI and it appears XSI only imports clusters with varying materials?

In the files I tested polygons in various clusters, but with the same material, ended up in the same material cluster on import. So I guess .xsi clusters can only be used for material clusters... :shrug:

While this isn't a problem for my immediate need, I was planning on using this as a means to work with the clusters as more of a selection set... I may have to just try and have XSI read the other app's native format... :sad:

<edit>
Or write a custom .xsi importer for xsi... :sad: :sad:
</edit>

janimatic
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
If dotxsi is not perfect then you should better write a native support for your application file format in xsi. Unless you to transfert animation or something very complex.
Which application are you using ?

TonyEdwards
02-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, janimatic.

If you promise not to bash me; the program I am writing the exporter for is Poser.

If you don't promise to bash me; then I don't remember what application I was using.

For now I just wanted to see if I could render a Poser scene in XSI. Rather than working with an obj I thought it would be neat to use dotXSI to get the geometry, textures (possibly materials), lights and camera data in one go.

So, as far as that's concerned the material cluster thing is fine. But I was hoping to go a step further and create a "crosswalky" type thing for Poser and I was planning on using the clusters for shape animation... and maybe the clusters would work fine if there were some animation; I haven't got that far yet.

Conceptually I think I can possibly :hmm: export an envelope from Poser via dotXSI, but I don't think it would be accurate or consistent due to it's different weighting system.

Ultimately though, I'm more concerned with getting my XSI content into Poser so I'll probably end up creating some solution to have XSI read/write Poser's formats. dotXSI is intriguing though because of it's versatility (I'm curious about working with a couple of game engines and thought it would be cool to create some varying LODs and have one source dotXSI file and multiple file formats) and it would be something I could still use immediately whenever I actually upgrade my version if XSI.

I don't know we'll see what happens...

janimatic
02-02-2007, 01:04 AM
well XSI sdk is nice.
I wish you the same about poser sdk. But lately someone asked me to port silo file format to c4d (currently availabel to xsi and maya) and it sucks. I noticed "easy to use" softwares often come with "hard to use" sdk. Top professional softwares sdk are easier.
I would be happy to port sia file formats to a lot of modeling softwares as a general crosswalk tool, with displace/crease and other features preservation, but in your case what are the features that you need to preserve and that are not in obj ?
Creating clusters in the sdk is definately possible and not too hard. By the way XSI create cluster from obj with several materials applied to faces and that could be your workaround for now.

TonyEdwards
02-02-2007, 01:52 AM
While I don't have as much experience as you with other SDKs from what I've dealt with, you're right, the XSI SDK is real nice.

From my understanding, obj wouldn't support the transfer of camera or lights. I actually created a crude obj importer b/c I was having problems with XSI's importer and importing groups as clusters. Again, you're right, creating the cluster in the XSI SDK was really easy. I guess I cold just export an obj and get the other data from the scene file I was just trying not to read a file. Does the sia format support cameras or lights?

I was planning to work in XSI's SDK initially but I think when I was looking into the Torque format I got interested in dotXSI because I couldn't find an easy way to create triangle strips and kind of didn't find my way back. Easy being a supplied method to create them in the sdk.

I'll probably finish what I've started now and just leave it at exporting a static scene from Poser using dotXSI, because I personally don't need to do anything else with it. The rest was more out of an odd curiousity. Then I'll jump back into XSI's sdk for getting content into Poser's format.

I've been keeping an eye on your xsilo plugin as I'm due to start working in Silo...

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2007, 01:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.