PDA

View Full Version : Skills and Knowledge To Be a Good Modeller?

mysrh
01-31-2007, 06:02 PM
I only started learning Maya 2 years ago, however it seems I put a lot interest in modelling.
What's been bothering is the fact that when most students are being asked where their strong area is most say modelling, for any reasons that I'm not sure what.

Well, I might be one of those students, but the thought that what happens if I am one of those students worries me.

Hence I'm here to ask you modelling expert, what do I need to know, to learn, and to improve if I'm serious about modelling? I'm currently in the low-poly modelling class and I learn tremendous skills which I never know from the 2 years I have been in school.

And finally, I thank you for the kind response, advice and suggestions and yout time too ^^;;

regards,
mysrh

tryl
02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Well its natural that most feel their strong point is modeling, its the first thing you do, therefore you have the most practice in :)

I'm not a master of the 3d art form yet, but I have been doing art for a while and what i've found is..
the thing that will set you apart from the general mass of everyone will be your 1.ability to take something that is normally hard for most people i.e. human body and make it look flawless 2. your attention to detail, and finally the idea that your Art is NEVER ever complete, and that you can always improve it

The day that you see an image you've created, and you think that there's nothing wrong with it is not the day you become a master, but the day that you've failed to grow as an artist.

its good that you're in a low poly class right now, it'll provide the basic ideas you'll use for creating higher poly models, worry about learning in school for right now and if you have time, ask teachers for extra work, with practice you'll be amazing (if you're not already) i'm sure, but dont forget to take that passionate mentality about wanting to be better past graduation and nothing will keep you from being truly amazing.

oh, wouldnt happen to have any good low poly tutorials you wouldnt mind sharing do you? ;)

Maestro99
02-02-2007, 02:34 AM
My understanding is that to be a good modeller you need traditional art skills. The ability to draw or sculpt. Many job adverts now list this as a requirement.

Learning the software is the easy bit learning how things look or move is the difficult bit.

Where are you studying at?

mysrh
02-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Cheers for the responses guys. I'm at SAE at the moment, finishing in 2 months. As others have been saying, the school mainly teaches me about the software's technicality, or that is what I feel so far.

In regard to low poly tutorial, I don't really have any, only the theory I learn and reading 3D sites.

Mr. D
02-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Hello

Best I can tell you is to 'Train your Eye', meaning be able to look at a object and break it down to it's simplist form, plus when looking at something try to analysis it. The old 'form follows function' bit, if someone asked you to model a car what is the shape of a car, why is that; how do the parts functions and combine so you understand what needs to be modeled to properly portrait a car. This goes the same for characters as well.

These are the types of skills you would learn doing studies in tradictional art media.

Mr. D

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2007, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.