PDA

View Full Version : Making character hold things?

3DZukini
02-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi, I'm just getting into my whole animating characters thing so this may be a simple question: I bought ACS4 and so far I think it's great(especially compared to my previous attempts at rigging) but I'm trying to figure out how I make a character hold something in their hands while they move--a golf club. Is this as simple as parenting the club to one of the bones? I havn't tried it yet because I havn't modeled the club yet--I got my ACS4 and I was excited to start the scene,,blah blah...anyway, if there's anyone out there who could shoot me a quick answer that would be great, thanks!:)

faulknermano
02-24-2003, 01:12 AM
if your arm is controlled by FK you could probably use IK on the golf club using nulls parented to the hands as goals: parent one and of the golf club to a hand, and goal the end of the handle to the other hand.

or you can simply parent the club to the hands themselves. but if the guy is holding it two-handed, you must match golf club in both hands, manually.. that is if you want to use FK instead of IK.

3DZukini
02-24-2003, 01:19 AM
OK, I'm not positive I understand all of that but maybe it'll make more sense to me once I try it out, thanks!!

kretin
02-24-2003, 01:31 AM
There are various ways you can accomplish this, it depends on the specific need you have.

If you want to hold something in just one hand you just parent the item to the hand bone.

If you want to hold something in 2 hands, or to hold it in one hand but sometime have 2 hands on it, like a golf club, then you need to get more complex.

One way, using IK for the arms/hands, is to parent 2 nulls to the golf club, where you want each hand to hold it. Then use simple constraints (which you can attach to sliders, or just control the envelopes) to move each hand null to the golf club nulls when you need them there.

Or using FK for the arms/hands you can use IK blender to simply use the 2 nulls parented to the golf club, animating the arms/hands with FK and blending to IK when he's holding the club.

Both ways you only need to animate the golf club when he's holding it, and the hands will stay attached.

CIM
02-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Use Orient and Point Constraints.

faulknermano
02-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by kretin

If you want to hold something in 2 hands, or to hold it in one hand but sometime have 2 hands on it, like a golf club, then you need to get more complex.

One way, using IK for the arms/hands, is to parent 2 nulls to the golf club, where you want each hand to hold it. Then use simple constraints (which you can attach to sliders, or just control the envelopes) to move each hand null to the golf club nulls when you need them there.

i think an easier way would simple parent the club to, say, the left hand (for a right-handed player), making sure the pivot point of the club is within the grasp of the nad. then parent a null to the club, then move that null to the position where the other hand should be. make the right hand the goal of this null.

this way, you only have one goal.

my 2 centavos

kretin
02-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Yeah, that would work as long as he's always holding the club with one hand, otherwise it would prove unwieldy.

Ayreon
02-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Onr old method is to have two items in the scene, one visible, on invisible. The invisible on is parented to the hand, in the right position, so the character is always holding it. When the chracter grabs the object, make the visible invisible, and the invisible visible, in one frame. That's how they did it in "the old days". It's a method I read in 3d world magazine. Maybe it woks for you.

Ayreon

3DZukini
02-24-2003, 08:45 PM
WOW, thanks for the help guys! I'm going to give thes suggestions a go when I get home tonight--I've been having a little trouble with my rig so far, but that may just be because I'm a total moron when it comes to that. I have ACS4 and I think I followed the instructions correctly but there's still a problem with his arms--his elbows are'nt working at all. If someone out there has ACS4 and wants to take the time to checkout my rig--maybe fix it and tell me what was wrong with it-then I can post the object later when I get home. I don't have much time to finish the animation that I'm working on right now but I will be trying to tweak it more later. If anyone wants to help me out later post a reply and maybe we can chat on MSN while I try to learn how to do this correctly, thanks again for all of the great suggestions!!
:beer:

SplineGod
02-25-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by 3DZukini
OK, I'm not positive I understand all of that but maybe it'll make more sense to me once I try it out, thanks!!
Youve hit upon a very interesting point. You can use ACS4 to create a rig for you. The problem is that without the understanding of what goes into rigging you wont be able to do much beyond what the plugin does for you. Setting up a golf club is something pretty simple and people have given several suggestons as to different ways to do it. You need to really experiment with some very basic IK setups to understand what IK is as well as how and when to use it.

Philip_Man
02-25-2003, 04:28 AM
How do you hold and let go of things?
Say for example, a guy picking up a cup then putting it back down, or a sword.

iso
02-25-2003, 05:11 AM
use the dynamic parenting plugin or lscript, that comes with LW, it seems to work the best for me. just ensure that the "parent in place" option is selected otherwise it will hop around on you. The plugin woks quite well in that it keyframes the object both when you pick it up and set it down. i seem to rememeber that i had to parent the object being picked up to a null and use dynamic parenting on the null to make things work, but i could be wrong.

faulknermano
02-25-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Philip_Man

for this, i'd like to use anthony ramirez's parent65.lsc because it's so neat in one UI. it offers blending which is cool. of course, 'natively' meaning lw's native tools have these point contraint tools that will allow you to parent stuff over time.. and then there's this parenter that i havent really used. still native plugs though.

SplineGod
02-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Philip_Man
Ive used the way Ayreon described and what Iso mentioned. Both work well. :)

Philip_Man
02-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Now going to Flay for the plugin.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.