PDA

View Full Version : Problem rotating around centre

nickmarshallvfx
01-31-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi there

I am a newbie to 3D so this may be a stupid question but its puzzling me somewhat.
I have modelled a surveillance camera in XSI and on the bottom I attached a little round cylinder that the sureillance cam rotates around. I parented all parts of the camera so that when I rotate, all will follow, however something strange happens when I try and move the center to the small cylinder that I want to rotate around.
I select the object that I parented all parts to, and then when I go to center and try to translate it down to the right place all the parented objects follow the centre which I dont want.
How can I fix this problem? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Nick

Sbowling
01-31-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi there

I am a newbie to 3D so this may be a stupid question but its puzzling me somewhat.
I have modelled a surveillance camera in XSI and on the bottom I attached a little round cylinder that the sureillance cam rotates around. I parented all parts of the camera so that when I rotate, all will follow, however something strange happens when I try and move the center to the small cylinder that I want to rotate around.
I select the object that I parented all parts to, and then when I go to center and try to translate it down to the right place all the parented objects follow the centre which I dont want.
How can I fix this problem? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Nick

When you parent objects, you are basically parenting their centers. If you move the center of an object that is parented to other objects, you will also be moving those objects. The easy solution is to turn on child compensation while moving the center, just don't forget to turn it off when you are done.

nickmarshallvfx
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks a lot Sbowling, you cleared that right up for me!
Managed to finish my scene thanks to the quick and precise reply.

Thanks again!

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.