PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry for painting weights?

adam|zeliasz
01-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know of a good tutorial or step-by-step workflow in using Symmetry for painting weights? ( ie. painting weights on one side of a character and have them mirrored to the other ) I tried to follow the documentation with little success.

Also, when you move the skeleton around to check the deformation, how do you get the skeleton to reset to the original pose? The Reset Actor button doesn’t work.

Thanks.

Sil3
01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
- Paint one side of the model

- Select the points that are weighted (the ones you finished painting)

- Envelope---Mirror Weights

If you dont have a Symmetry Map it will ask if you want to create one, say yes and it's done.

Itīs a good idea to key all the stuff on their default position first, do it in the frame 0 or 1, you can also go to Transforms---Set Neutral Pose, this will make the item 0,0,0 on all axis, so when you move something, simply entering 0 on any axis value will get it back to itīs default position.

Another tip is to make some poses and key them in various places down the timeline, this way you can have an animation specific for Weigh painting and adjusting the Weights, they might look nice on the standard Pose but completly break while moving, this way you can spot that right away.

adam|zeliasz
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your help!

Sbowling
02-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Actually, when using the weight painting tool, all you have to do is enable symmetry and it will paint on both sides of the model at the same time. As for resetting your character, what I usually do is select all the bones and control objects before I do any animation and do a set neutral position. This will zero them out, so all you have to do is move the objects back to 0 to get them back to the original pose.

grahamef
02-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Actually, when using the weight painting tool, all you have to do is enable symmetry and it will paint on both sides of the model at the same time.

Which is generally not useful when painting envelope weights, unless you want the right calf to be weighted to the left shinbone.

ThE_JacO
02-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Which is generally not useful when painting envelope weights, unless you want the right calf to be weighted to the left shinbone.

just for the record, it does have its use for a very many situations.
mirror weights is run-once and it uses two lookup tables, the sym mapping template to estabilish deformers correspondancies, and the sym map to estabilish points correspondancy.
just having sym on does indeed paint the same deformer looking up only the points LUT (sym map), which is exactly what you need for things like the spine/belly deformers, parts of the crotch, the neck etc.
furthermore, the sym map can be modified by custom plugins into being an arbitrary LUT, that way sym can work on local symmetrizations for the same central deformer on other parts.
last but not least, human bodies are not the only thing you might end up rigging by enveloping, which could present more cases where symmetrical painting of the same deformer is needed.

In general mirror weights will do anything you need, as the mapping template accepts to-self mappings, but painting with sym on is convenient and quick in quite a few cases.

adam|zeliasz
02-15-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm running into some issues. I selected the weighted points, choose Envelope, Mirror Weights, say yes to a symm map, choose YZ and here's the outcome. Any solutions? Does having keyframes on the skeleton effect the mirroring?

http://www.blacksunfx.com/images/weights.jpg

adam|zeliasz
02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Another stange problem scene is that my previous scenes, which were weighted, lost some of their weighting. For example, the chest caves in again. Are these bugs in version 6?

Mathaeus
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm running into some issues. I selected the weighted points, choose Envelope, Mirror Weights, say yes to a symm map, choose YZ and here's the outcome. Any solutions? Does having keyframes on the skeleton effect the mirroring?

I would try to reset transforms of mesh, before eneveloping. Seems that this offset just matching actual transforms what we can see in your MCP.

tuna
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
You should probably look at what your SymmetryMappingTemplate is showing you. You have stuff like "LArmEff" going to "LRingEffector".

WillBellJr
02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
I would try to reset transforms of mesh, before eneveloping. Seems that this offset just matching actual transforms what we can see in your MCP.

Yes, that's one thing I learned from my tutorial discs - when an operation sometimes goes screwey, freeze all of your transforms first, then try the op again.

If you can, try what your doing using v5, if it works better or as expected, then perhaps it is an issue with v6...

-Will

ThE_JacO
02-16-2007, 12:50 AM
going by the fact that the stranded vertices have no colour at all, it looks like your envelope is either on a screwed up cluster or those points are not weighted.

adam|zeliasz
02-16-2007, 05:20 PM
They were weighted and I didnt assign any clusters to the mesh. I just enveloped her, weighted the one side using the brush and weight editor and applied the mirror...

adam|zeliasz
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Look at this madness... I decided to reweight and mirror, so far so good. I closed out the scene, opened it again and this is what I got. Funny thing is that I can weight it normally with the brush but it dosent display correctly...

http://www.blacksunfx.com/images/weights2.jpg

Mathaeus
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Look at this madness... I decided to reweight and mirror, so far so good. I closed out the scene, opened it again and this is what I got. Funny thing is that I can weight it normally with the brush but it dosent display correctly...

That's a symmetry (weight) map. You need to select an enevelope weight map, under appropriate cluster.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.