PDA

View Full Version : Xpresso swarming

mrblifil
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
I need a solution to swarming objects, not particles. I want there to be a springy relationship between a group of spheres, with a group following a leader, and reacting to the leader's motion with some overshooting and springing back into place. Again I want to emphasize that I'm not searching for a particle based solution. This is because I have splines connecting the spheres whose points are addressing the objects in question, so that the end points of the splines move with their assigned objects.

If anyone can recommend a strategy, I'd be grateful. As usual time is tight.

Srek
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Doing this without particles is a whole lot of work. You can use particles to control specific objects, or more exactly their position, scale and rotation. This way you have the easy control of particles and the advantages of indipendent real objects.
Cheers
Björn

mrblifil
01-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Here is the effect we are trying to make happen. Note the fluid interrelationship between objects. We're just doing this with spheres and splines, with the points of the splines attached to the sphere objects axes. So the setup is pretty simple, it's a question of figuring out a way to get the object relationships to work correctly.

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/

Type in a word in the text field and the program will launch. Select "Try" and then you'll see what I'm talking about.

mrblifil
01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
We do have the dynamics module. Isn't there a way to make one object draw others to it via gravity?

Per-Anders
01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
you may be able to create the effect using mograph, the inheritance effector and it's delay effectors, or if you've the patience then using the constraints tag with a spring constraint on each object to follow another object, however keeping a constant distance with both will be hard (probably not so easily possible using mograph). dynamics would as the previous poster suggested be the most likely way to go, otherwise really it is a job for particles, there's no reason you can't connect particles with splines by the way, especially using the mograph tracer object.

JoelOtron
01-31-2007, 03:17 AM
I saw your post over at postforum and tried to respond.

I have this link to another interesting applet that seems to work similarly to the link ou posted for the visual thesaurus.

http://www.aharef.info/static/htmlgraph/

more info:

http://www.aharef.info/2006/05/websites_as_graphs.htm

Just enter any email address and it gives you a similar visual chart of the site.

mrblifil
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Turns out plain old Dynamic springs is the answer. With ellipsoid collision detection and low Axial gravity values, it's possible to play around with large groups of spheres. Here's a test I did with a mere 5 spheres, but it runs pretty good in real time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.