PDA

View Full Version : ASUS R2H Ultra Mobile PC - MAYA?

Fede
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

I'm quite clueless when it comes to this type of thing and was just wondering what you guys think of this product: http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=5034

I'd like to be able to run MAYA on it for my Animation Mentor exercises on the go.

Please let me know if it's just not worth it.

I love the idea for this type of thing though, would you be able o suggest something similar other wise? haven't seen any tablets that really caught my attention.

Thanks

lots
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Forget about running anything useful on that aside from email, word and firefox.

gamedeveloper
01-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Wow... Some interesting features, but I fear its probably useless for 3D work. You might be able to use it as a digital sketchpad, or perhaps do great pixel art on it. But what real apps can stand to run in 800x400 resolution?

You'd be better off with an ultra-light laptop. However, if you must have tablet pc functionality, just get a used/refurb off of eBay.

As always, I'll plug my favorite model, the TC1100. The lightest, cheapest one with dedicated graphics. 3.1lbs in slate mode, about $800 refurb or used. There are other cool, light, slate models, but most don't have dedicated GPU or are EXPENSIVE.

And, right now, I'm using a TC1100 (in my lap) and I have Maya 7 and Photoshop CS open.

;-)

Fede
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, pity my microwave packs more punch than this. It just looked so cool though.

I'l look into the TC1100 thanks for the advice.

Saurus
01-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Yup...me luv my TC1100. I know two other people using the same model. One thing...they don't come with DVD drives. I have an external drive. I also upgraded my HD to 7200 and installed Vista and it ran faster than when it had XP. I carry mine everyday like a drawing pad.

gamedeveloper
01-31-2007, 01:13 AM
TC1100 is a funny piece of hardware. Touch it -- look at it -- you swear it should have an Apple logo on it. ;-)

The TC1X00 line is the height of tablet pc design. Its only weaknesses are:

(a) There should have been a TC1200 with a 64MB Geforce Go, top-of-the-line Pentium M and two microphones.

(b) The form factor was discontinued.

When I look at devices like the Asus R2H, I think of the 'gulf' between a small and truly portable mobile tablet (3" touch screen and under 6oz) and a truly usable portable tablet (10.4 - 12" Wacom screen and 3lbs max). People keep throwing products into the gulf between these sizes and the products ultimately fail in the marketplace. But often they look cool! ;-) I mean, that Asus kit looks VERY desirable.

I remember when I got my Treo600. I bought a little shareware art program (forget the name) and used to pixel on that thing like crazy! Was very productive because it was ALWAYS on me (see attached image). Now my PPC6700 phone plays the same role (although its a damn brick...) I was hoping the iPhone could provide a similar functionality with access to a wide library of art apps, but that's looking like a closed system... I was dreaming of someone releasing a stylus so you could get pinpoint accuracy for iPhone drawing. ;-(

Perhaps when flexible screen tech becomes widespread these mid-form factor devices will really work. Because then they'll be able to compress or expand to a more suitable size (will probably have three different size/function configurations).

Fede
01-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey guys! i've put in a bid and if that doesn't happen then there is a buy now option i'm going to go for. This looks awesome and am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

gamedeveloper
01-31-2007, 04:08 AM
What did you bid on? How much is the buy-it-now?

Fede
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey i got one on ebay for about $795

looking forward to play with this

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.