PDA

View Full Version : Some new tutorials on Professional methods

kman0328
01-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Would there be any interest in some up-to-date tutorials on Motion builder workflow procedures and techniques for mainly animators? Basically they would be the best, most efficient methods that professional motion editing animators as well as key-framers use on a day to day basis. I'm thinking about compiling a bunch of the tips and tricks from myself and co-workers and then documenting them into an easy to understand format(PDF or maybe DVDs).

sdyer23
01-30-2007, 04:15 PM
kman,

That would be great. THe tutorials I used to learn my school's MoCap Motionbuilder was from version 5.1 or so. Some updated ones would be good as gold as we now use version 7.0. I look forward to seeing these compiled, and tanks for offering to compile such a knowledge base. I think that .PDFs would be a good way to display the tutorials when finished.

-Tux

Animatom
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
That will be great, something I dream about. :) Please, do.

elektronaut
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
nice idea! i will be interested!

sina3d
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, I'm also very interested.

CurtisG
02-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey guys,

I would love to know more about what type of topics/workflows you would like to see in learning tools. Send me your ideas, suggestions and recommendations and we can start working on some new learning tools!

Cheers,

Curtis Garton
Product Manager
MotionBuilder
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

Animatom
02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks for asking, CurtisG.
I will really love to see more about incredibly powerful but not enough described storyboarding and previsualisation part of MotionBuilder. I am sure many MB users will be extremely happy to see more then only two tutorials on the subjects: "Previsualization of a film sequence with camera cuts and fades" and "Evolving 2D images into a 3D Storyboard". And they are even for version 6.
I use MB for all my work on short animated movies, without exporting and rendering in another software - in most cases even without external non linear video editor - and new tutorials about mentioned stuff will help tremendously.
Thanks again.

Lughs
02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I would like to see some tutorials on setting up a rig for a four armed humanoid, or any other odd creature.

Neill
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
There is a little discription about UI. For me it would be very interesting to know about changable attributes, like changable time slider width when activate story window.

sdyer23
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I'd like to see some more of the simpler things to do in MB - as I am a bit new to thr program myself, but perhaps I'd also like to see the features that stand this animation program apart from Maya's animation tools. All I know so far is that MB can incorporate Motion Capture data, which is undoubtedly cool, but I want to see what else it can do - asort of "look under the hood" as it were.

Well I hope to see these Tuts soon and good luck in making them. I hope this helps. Thanks again!

-Tux

mkapfhammer
02-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Kman!

Thanks for bringing this up.

I mainly use the story tab to do my editing, but I know using the main timeline layers and the motion blend tab also seems to be fairly popular. Any chance you can shed some light on which you use and why?

Here's a short list of tasks for motion editing I'd like to see covered:

motion blending
creating looping animations (for games and for motion libraries)
locking down sliding feet
constraining and animating props
using filters to remove jitter
retargetting to/from specific parts of the rig (ex. using arm motion from one clip and leg motion from another)
using relation constraints to automate animation (and specific cases you've used them in - if possible)
differences b/t f-curve and dynamic editors
Misc. tasks in MBuilder:

fixing major weighting issues on imported characters
blocking character coreography for previz (constraining walk cycle to path, etc)
Also... has ever really been able to get good facial animation from using the voice device? 3d Buzz gives a great overview on the process, but it seems like it is only good for a first pass for the open/close. I'd love to know if anyone has found it worthwhile to pursue.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Kiwistylz
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Cheers Curtis , count me in for freebies on tips n tuts anyday .. Think peeps ave pretty much listed wat would like to see ,,maybe some info on...

Pipe - Motionbuilder to Maya bein able to add corrective animation
Expert Mode - Using the pull function ...
Story modes - Using body parts and hand keying inside of dtory mode using a STABLE workflow ...:eek:
Custom rigs - Influence objects and blendshapes,, being able to get the benefits of all maya`s rigs n setups across to MB . so maybe some UI info i agree.. would be great .
Fixes\bugz\queries...

when selecting in the Schematic view ever since 7.0 has been all outta sync , double click to select and double click another node to change selction but it adds it to my selection based off of ... hierachy --err doesnt seem to be ..maybe sumone could shed sum light on how this function is actually supposed to perform...

Thanks again , will keep looking about for those dvd`s :P
Cheers

munehausen
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
think its a good idea :)

mkapfhammer
03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
kman,

Any thoughts on how much this dvd might be?

kman0328
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I think we've compiled some good feed-back on what MotionBuilder users would like to see in a training tutorial - whether it be a DVD or PDF. I unfortunately do not have the time it would take to put into creating these right now - too many urgent projects need my attention. I am hoping that sometime within the coming year, I will have some down time to work on this. In the meantime, Curtis Garton, if you guys at Autodesk Media are already working on some new tuts, I hope you look carefully into what was brought up on this thread so far.
As far as a price range for some advanced MB DVDs, I personally would probably perfer to pay no more than $40.
Thanks for the input guys!

mkapfhammer
03-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Custom rigs - Influence objects and blendshapes,, being able to get the benefits of all maya`s rigs n setups across to MB . so maybe some UI info i agree.. would be great .

I guess the same thing for XSI... I know that the MB<>MAYA via .fbx pipe supports more constraints and elements, so maybe a rundown on methods to replicate commonly used constraints/rigging set-ups via the MB relations constraint. If there's a more efficient/faster way - that be great to see, too!

biggyninja
03-15-2007, 10:20 AM
http://area.autodesk.com/learning/tutorials/?keyword=&software=284&subcategory=&skills=&x=23&y=7

Have you guys checked out Autodesk's 'The Area' forum? Theres a heap of new MB tutorials.

(link above)

Mr.Pottz
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Nope....Will check'em out though Mr. Biggy ;o)

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.