PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Question

callon
02-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Hi All! I'm new to the forums and Maya Unlimited. I'm wondering if someone could tell me what "compositing" is and when it's necessary/useful? I've been looking around and see tons of discussions using the term, but haven't found any practical definitions of it. Help anyone?

Mike

Boone
02-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Okay....listen carefully. I shall say this only once.

When you create an animation in Maya, you can make it in "Layers".

eg. Layer 1 -> Background scenery.
Layer 2 -> Animated creature.
Layer 3 -> Foreground scenery.

Now say that rendering all these together might take a long time...sometimes rendering them seperately can cut the time in half.

Saving these Layers into animation files, you then put them through a "Compositioning" application. This effectively "combines them to create the "Full scene"...

This sums it up, but there is alot more to it than I have suggested here! My best advice is to watch the documentorys on the following DVDs to see what I mean -

1) Star Wars: Ep2 - Attack of the Clones.
2) Final Fantasy: The Spirits within.
3) Scorpion King( the bit about the snake and Kelly Hu ).

...I've had to make my own software for my compositing needs but there is a few good comp-software out there.:thumbsup:

callon
02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Thnx Boone! I appreciate your help. And I'll definitely check into those movie docs you mentioned! :cool:

Boone
02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Always glad to be of service. Welcome to the boards.:beer:

dg
02-25-2003, 01:13 PM
You can also use Normal Maps to do 2D illumination in post, fix lighting, adding real elements, compositing video with 3D and so on.

See Ya!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.