PDA

View Full Version : help on my reel please!

gibby!
01-30-2007, 04:37 AM
heya gang! i got a rough demoreel here that needs alot of work. but before i get on that work, i was hoping to get some professional imput from you guys so i can go in the right direction. anything that can help is REALLY appreciated! Thank you!

rough reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbSDlOkyTk)

or

my blog (http://gibby23.blogspot.com/)

ps. the models i got from this site .... worry not! in the credits i will give all the needed respect to those who modeled and rigged.

ErikSvensson
01-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Hey there. This won't maybe be that proffesional input you asked for, but I give you my cents. :)

I loved the idea of having a guy presenting your reel, that's a unique idea, at least to me. Though, his acting need so be more snappy and maybe have him move some from that spot, like a step into the acting. Also, make it alittle brighter, it was hard to see him in that dark area, at least on my crappy screen. :)

Some of the other animations could use some work on the curves or the timing, like the big animal that runs first, he seemed alittle off in the timing, not so much, but I think it can be slightly speeded up.

Work on the "cleaning" part of the animations and it'll be great , I'd say!

Cheers!

Erik

gibby!
01-30-2007, 05:54 PM
thanks for the help dude! i will certainly do that .... the lighting wasn't too bad until i had to shrink it down to fit onto my onlilne portfolio. so i guess it wasn't good in the first place :P thank you for the review!

noobie
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
i really like your 2d the 3d looks too slow and weightless... especially the robot and dinosaur looking guy id always imagine a robot like that to move i dunno maybe faster cause it has a lot of weight same withe the dinosaur, the 3d animation looks somewhat poppy in places doesnt flow as nice as your 2d stuff, same as above just my opinion not professional crits sorry

travishowe
01-31-2007, 05:41 AM
Hey man,
It's looking really good. I can tell (especially from your traditional stuff) that you've really put a lot of time into honing your skills. Let me give you a little advice based on what I've learned thru the past few years:

First of all, a company doesn't want to see a LOT of mediocre work, they'd much rather see a short reel with fantastic work. Dan Mason, a senior animator at Pixar, says he'd rather
see a 45 sec. reel of GREAT work than sit thru 2 mins of just okay stuff. My point is, your stuff looks good, but I think if you really focused in on some pieces and just spent your time cleaning them up, you'll be much more satisfied with your reel, and you'll have a much easier time finding employment.

In my humble opinion, the 3D Figgins spiralboob chick toward the beginning is not one of your stronger pieces. It is extremely important that you convey what the character is feeling or doing thru the animation, and it is extremely hard to tell what she's up to. The end of it is nice, how she sags down in defeat, but I think you could push it further. To be honest, I don't think this is one of the ones you should spend your time on, because its not something that connects with the audience as much as some of the others could.

I'm familiar with the biped robot. I know he doesn't have a lot of control in terms of hips, but do your best to shift the weight of the body over the planted foot on each step.

When the guy picks up the flee, the flee is too rigid. The legs should sag, the bug should struggle in that pathetic beetle way (you know, where they basically look like they're walking upside down, not puting up much of a fight). It just feels lifeless right now.

Anyway, I really think you've got some great stuff here. Keep going on it, don't give up!

Travis

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2007, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.