PDA

View Full Version : Roman Statue, Pablov (3D)

pablov
02-23-2003, 03:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17479/zeus_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17479/zeus.jpg)

Hi guys, I am a VFS class 37 student, and this is my last model
for my final demo reel.

I hope you enjoy it:)

Pfister
02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Can't say anything except 'great work'

Najd
02-23-2003, 04:00 PM
wow, grat model man.

Now try to put it in a museum gallery and doing a good lightning setup and making a Kickass pic :buttrock:

ThirdEye
02-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I like the hair very much! :thumbsup:

davids
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
wow perfect!

Glasko
02-23-2003, 04:33 PM
This model honestly took my breath away... very inspiring. This is perfect!

Nikos
02-23-2003, 04:37 PM
That's a really well modelled statue!!! :buttrock:
You sure know the human anatomy well!

I actually thought for a second that you had posted a photo of a real sculpture made of some kind of plastic/marble surface.

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Johra
02-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Nothing to complain on!

Seems like alot of good stuff coming from VFS!

Good Job! :buttrock:

KnightVFX
02-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Sweet, sweet work Pablo. Absolutely breathtaking. You'll remember us little guys when you get a job, right?

ceql
02-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Awesome work! a great example of anatomy beautifully and gracefully depicted :D

btw, did you model it in that pose, or did you rig and pose it?

s333654
02-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Uhm, well it looks very good. I have one remark though... his.. uhm... penis looks.. well, weird. I dunno... can't exactly say what's wrong with it... but i dunno...
Most roman statues have penisses that are a tiny bit thicker i think... and maybe even a bit shorter... something is not right about it, can't describe it. It also looks as if the penis is a different part then the rest of the body... as if the top is not 100% attached orso... i dunno... maybe someone else can see it? Am i the only one noticing this?

McSpirit
02-23-2003, 05:35 PM
yeah about the penis thing.. it look to much like a cylinder.. try to give it some more details or something

Beside that great model :eek:

PoPpiN
02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Very impressive work :thumbsup:

really nice modelling

the only thing that caught my eye was his ancles, doesn't they look a little twisted or is it just me

anyway keep up the awesome work

Respect from Denmark

HapZungLam
02-23-2003, 06:22 PM
unbelivable amazing.:applause:

Matthewma
02-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Wow, no frills, no gimmicks, simply perfect.

Adam
02-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Wow that looks really great it just um well the wang is really really thin. Mybe it is just that I'm well ...;)

Totyo
02-23-2003, 07:27 PM
I gonna diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie !! (your a looser, you sucks, it's a crap, you should model some cube.. I'll kill my seeeeeelf ! :annoyed: )

Sincerly, nothing to say... :buttrock: (yes, the penis and the plastic look)

Berserker
02-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Perfect....yet.... i think you should add a Velvet node in the shader tree.... ;)

just kidden

if anything, i would dirty up the spec map (if there is one) it seems a bit glossy. it could be the lighting, it probly works in your scene...

lerpiedood
02-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Great work! Impressive! But the penis still needs some work, seems like you took your time and carefully modeled everything, then when you reached the penis, you just modeled it very quickly.

JamesMK
02-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by lerpiedood
seems like you took your time and carefully modeled everything, then when you reached the penis, you just modeled it very quickly.

Now that sounds like a pretty natural workflow, imo... You can't just sit there a couple of hours fiddling with the... umm... salami, can you?

Excellent work by the way! I do second that opinion about adding some specular mapping. Just a little breaker-upper...

Lunatique
02-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Gorgeous.

That Adrian Guy
02-24-2003, 12:12 AM
PabloV? Aren't you one of the belle-free artists? You're a really diverse artist!

BY the looks of the mesh, I take it there's no way this statue can come to life through animation, ey?

edaddy
02-24-2003, 12:17 AM
Wow that looks really great it just um well the wang is really really thin. Mybe it is just that I'm well ...

hmmm.... i'm not a wang connoisseur or anything, but yes his member looks a little underdeveloped (modeling-wise) that is- maybe spent a little more time refining that thing

You can't just sit there a couple of hours fiddling with the... umm... salami, can you?

:shrug:

edit: it seems to me that his ankles are too wide, and his calves are also too big when compared to the upperbody. Ofcourse this might have been intentional ....

MAXer3D
02-24-2003, 12:22 AM
WOW nice work!!
but the avatar....:thumbsdow

http://www.carp.org.ar/img/header_escudo.gif

aenema
02-24-2003, 12:28 AM
great work! :thumbsup:

Ocean Size
02-24-2003, 12:35 AM
Nice model

I agree with the previous comment, the thing that stands out most to me is that the penis does not go with the model or look anatomically correct, it does not taper enough and looks too cylindrical. It also does not look like it's attached to the body, I think it could use more detail too. I'll again agree with the previous comment and say that the penis looks a little too thin. Perhaps you can add alittle bend in it too, it's kinda straight looking in the side, and I think it would help the look in the frontal shot too. Hope this helps, because I think it most definetly stands out.

:D

dongle
02-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Great work, top notch every step of the way.

-Simeon VFS 3D38

shrapnel2389
02-24-2003, 12:54 AM
it seems as if there is a bit of a seam on his lower back, and there looks to be a pinch or fold on his left buttcheek.

kyldub
02-24-2003, 01:01 AM
ya, the penis does sorta look like he didnt want to stare at it too long to get it perfect. damn nice model though.

Cman
02-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Hands look small and/or forearm too long, maybe?
Also, the flexed calf I think is a bit large.
What's the back look like?

But great, nonetheless! :thumbsup:

Also, I really like the texturing job too.

Joviex
02-24-2003, 01:28 AM
Excellent job.

The penial area is in need of some work. All the childish comments aside, staring at any part of the human body for long periods of time can be erotic.

Its seems to be very flat, and does pull the focus away from the other areas.

Wireframe?

jacksondont
02-24-2003, 02:04 AM
Wow that is great! Looks like real ancient sculpture work. I am going to throw out some constructive criticism because I know it is not very helpful when people just say "Great!" or 'I like it!".
The only constructive criticism I can give is that the shoulders and calves look a little too big to me. You only see the front of the deltoids that defined and bulbous in our modern era where people work out one muscle over and over. The inner side of the calves seems a little to big. He is kind of a slight character and the calves should match that attitude.
Everything is very much in an appropriate style to the era you are suggesting. Look at works by Bernini or of course Michelangelo and I think you will see what I mean.
Also he is not really suggestive of a "Zeus". He looks a little more like a Mercury or someone. He looks a little young and slight to be Zeus. What do you think?

iggiza
02-24-2003, 02:15 AM
beautiful work, definetely has some touch of the old greek masters, can we see some close up of the face, hands, and feet, I agree about the penis with lerpiedood:applause:

Array
02-24-2003, 02:25 AM
regarding the penis, I dont think ive ever seen a circumsized statue before. foreskin please! :applause:

EDIT:

also, if it was a roman statue, it would say Jupiter, not Zeus. sorry just nitpicking.

PureFire
02-24-2003, 02:34 AM
really nice work....I think all crits have been mentioned so I wont add....keep em coming :D

Indavisual
02-24-2003, 02:57 AM
Can anyone get me some of the drugs that those VFS students are taking. I swwear they must be taking some kinda talent pill. Great work man!

redshirt
02-24-2003, 03:59 AM
Long time lurker, but I had to jump in on this one. Very nice model, and all penis talk aside, how did you do the hair? I've tried to get some decent 3D modeled hair, and can't quite seem to. Any suggestions? Maybe a wireframe? Good stuff, very nice model. A student?! Wish I was that good when I was a student.

:thumbsup:

Zastrozzi
02-24-2003, 04:31 AM
wow pablo strikes again :thumbsup:
great work have to say the olny thing that sturck me as off
was the spec of the material (maybe it was just jealosy)
seems like heas plastic right now i think adding some color to the spec hits might help slight yellow/tan tint ? maybe a little les glossy ? I know not my master
keep up the great work

BrainFaucet
02-24-2003, 04:54 AM
Amazing...

I agree about the penis.

The hair is simply amazing.

Excellent work.

prrr!
02-24-2003, 06:26 AM
great work , impresionante , terrible laburo
exelente modelo con especial cuidado en la parte anatomica.

Muy bueno!!!!

pablov
02-24-2003, 07:38 AM
thank you very much guys for the feedback,

well... about the penis, I don't think that the member of the character is gonna give me a job, "well I think so" but you are right, guys, needs a little bit of work.

yes, i gonna check the claves and the ancles, seems a little bit twisted.

again thank you verry much

Pablo.

aenema
02-24-2003, 07:52 AM
yea those big studios guys love the penis.... har har har, awesome work thoe :)

:beer:

Lander
02-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Maybe this can work as a refernce.
Btw amazing work!
-Lander

ThirdEye
02-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Michelangelo can ALWAYS be a great reference ;) But don't forget he's trying to make a Roman statue, not a renaissance statue.

jadedchron
02-24-2003, 09:11 AM
All the childish comments aside, staring at any part of the human body for long periods of time can be erotic.

i could stare at that model all day and you will find no amount of eroticism in my body :PP

nacire
02-24-2003, 09:49 AM
yeah man this guys manhood isnt quite the calibre of the rest of the model. Dont be scared jump in there and clean it up a little bit. With all of the attention and detail in the rest of the body it, the penis, looks out of place. Personally I would shorten it a bit and add either some curvature or wrinkles or a vein, just something. Tremendous work though, and I love the texture work as well. Keep up the effort!

dongdong~2002
02-24-2003, 10:08 AM
perfect!! I enjoy it very mush.:buttrock: :eek: :rolleyes:

xeroxAM
02-24-2003, 10:55 AM
absolutely fantastic modeling !

im impressed.

the_real_cabal
02-24-2003, 11:11 AM
wow great modeling :) i like this ...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AroundTheFur
02-24-2003, 01:32 PM
in any case roman or greek, there really needs to be a contrapasto in the pose, it looks veeeery static and itd be a shame to leave it like this. if youre not familiar(although anyone here should be) it is when the wieght bearing side of the hip is raised up, and the corresponding sides shoulder is lower than the other. it can be seen plain as day in that david attatchment. great modeling, so fix up the pose :buttrock:

SuperMax
02-24-2003, 02:39 PM
All of a sudden everyones become a penis Expert.

I think its too big. Long I mean.

If you have a look at the David statue, its pretty small with the sac behind it.

This is a Family forum isnt it?

plaguelord
02-24-2003, 03:29 PM
impresionante!!! que bueno ver un compatriota con tanto nivel!!!
(con ese avatar no podes ser otra cosa que argentino!!:beer: )

pd:aguante river!!!!:buttrock:

pablov
02-24-2003, 04:09 PM
me alegra ver gente argentina y uruguaya en el site:buttrock:

gracias por el post, pero...

en argentina o en vancuover, BOCA es un sentimiento.
:scream:

y aguante la quilmes que s extrania por aca:beer: :beer:

acc3d
02-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Excellent work! I've been planning to model a classical sculpture for some time now, but you've beat me to the punch. Is this modeled after a particular Zeus statue?

I was wondering if you could post some un-textured images, a detail of the head, and a wireframe. I'm really interested about the hair...is this one contiguous mesh or lots of pieces of geometry mashed together? I imagine this was very time consuming...now imagine carving it out of stone :)

--Aaron

vizion
02-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Awesome modelling. Oh, btw, the romans did not believe in Zeus,..they believed in Jupiter.

chlywly
02-24-2003, 05:09 PM
Great work :) Love it, but his "peepee" is a little TOO THIN, looks kinda strange like a monkey penis. :love:

the_jonas
02-24-2003, 07:19 PM
very very nice modelling, but i think there's something wrong with the ribs, and the higher abdominal muscles. the ribs should be more deffined and i think that the higher abdominal muscles are to well deffined and should be places a bit lower. butt once again awsome model :).

Guirnaldo
02-24-2003, 08:03 PM
:applause:

very nice man, you done a great job there! It looks realistic and thats all it needs! Maybe give his weeny more parts, he looks so straight (down, that is)

hope to see more soon!! :bounce: Sing Haleluja!!

akela
02-24-2003, 10:35 PM
mmm... great work!
but, should I suggest something about the theme-pose-and, yeah, the penis-? IMO, I think that always is great to do some research... look for some history of art reference... try to look some of Praxiteles artwork, or other examples from the Greek culture's late classical period...
The character's pose and appeareance looks not as Zeus' -- although it's a great work indeed :)

http://www.historylink101.com/lessons/art_history_lessons/greek_sculpture_slide_show2.htm

http://harpy.uccs.edu/greek/lateclasssculpt.html

http://arthist.cla.umn.edu/aict/html/ancient/GS/gs048.html

well, hope it helps! ;)

rexfang
02-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Great Job Pablo....!!
That's drink 2 days after!!

VFS rocks!!:buttrock: :beer:

Wulffaoa
02-25-2003, 04:44 AM
I can't really add much to what has already been said, but I'm currently in an art history class and it just so happens that Michelangelo was studied this past week....anyhoo....contrapasto is key, that serpentine shape of the body, adds mucho movement to your works, and yes, I'm really really glad my "pecker" doesn't look like your model's - it's really cylindrical. I might also suggest some refinement of the ankles and calves as well. Also, IMHO, the texture looks a bit plastic or resin-ish, perhaps if you worked on the specularity, the model would look more like it's made of marble.

dbach
02-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Way to go Pablo! The speed with which you can model simply amazes me. I am not well versed in the period you are taking reference from but I think that the abs might be a little close to the pecks. Can't wait to see your finished reel.

Out,
Don

3D36

Tocy
02-25-2003, 11:05 AM
Amazing work! :thumbsup:
I agree with those little modelling mistakes mentioned before, but IMHO it needs first urgent tweak at specularity to be much moooore realistic (if it could). I'm with Wulffaoa at this. I think with just a little or no specularity can cease plastic-looking. And with more, well-placed lights the character could express more emotion. Anyway geat work as is, can't wait your next! Congratulations!!!

EricChadwick
02-25-2003, 02:58 PM
I haven't seen any mention of the eyes.

Classical Greek marble statues sometimes used blank eyeballs, other times they modeled the bulge of the cornea.

Romans actually cut into the eyes to create pupils, often leaving a peninsula-like notch to suggest a highlight.

Can't really see from your renders, but it might help add life.

JJ3d
02-25-2003, 04:19 PM
buenooo..!! :buttrock:

Impresionante pablo!! muy buen laburo de modelado!

me gustaria ver wireframes!

Pd: no vamos a andar discutiendo sobre futbol.. porque da para rato..
:D

nottoshabi
02-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow thats just incredible.

I think this got posted twice.....

But I do have some thing I like to say: besides the penis I think that the muscles above the knee, I think the muscle is to thick and also the ankles, the front of the leg does not follow the shin and they are also to thick, and the last think the bicep up top is to defined and the shoulder is to high.

Well thats just my 2 cents. And if you would like to see it move I will gladly rig it for you. hanging Well thats just my 2 cents. And if you would like to see it move I will gladly rig it for you.
:buttrock:

Quarkmaster
02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
In this time it was an insult to show images of people with a great penis. Most greec statues or pictures of the renaissance or the greek period have a very small penis...
But most statues have little "help" to make them stand. http://www.accd.edu/sac/vat/arthistory/arts1303/GreekS3.jpg
I mean the piece of wood at the left side of the foot. Your statue would fall down and crack into pieces!

But i like the model very much!

seenote2000
02-25-2003, 10:01 PM
http://www.beyondtheportal.com/forum/images/smilies/9.gif

TOtally amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Maroonie
02-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Excellent work

Phugative
02-26-2003, 02:42 AM
beautiful work!
The face bothers me a little though. The nose seems a bit small. Also exaggerate some of the anatomy a little more, like classic greek or roman sculpture.

piajartist
02-26-2003, 06:18 AM
The hair is quite impressive as is the rest of this. Nice render

ts9236
02-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi Pablo!

What can I say to you... I don't know....

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I just can't wait until your demo reel comes out.

Ted :cool:

pablov
02-26-2003, 03:53 PM
sorry guys, for the delay, i am finishing my demo reel, the dead line is tomorrow, so I am a little bussy right now.

again thank you very much for your feedback,that heped me a lot.

here are some wire frames.

saludos PABLO. http://www.vfs.com/~pablov/wire01.jpg http://www.vfs.com/~pablov/wire0ww.jpg http://www.vfs.com/~pablov/wireh.jpg :wavey: :wavey:

jchoi
02-27-2003, 02:06 AM
Pablo, Pablo, Pablo~

You crazy, man...you crazy...

I mean, Crazy Work.
That's one kick-ass Sh*t you got there!!!

VFS Rules!!! :beer:

wonseok
03-01-2003, 05:15 PM
....breathtaking..
PLZ Don't forget me when u get a job :love:

emailsux
03-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Great stuff pablo, I cant wait to see all your amazin models animated. Good luck. Keep up the hard work.

Nigel

:beer:

chenling
03-01-2003, 08:20 PM
awesome work, u are the best modeler ever! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Blair
03-04-2003, 03:25 AM
Just have to say excellent stuff man.

Eggsister
03-04-2003, 10:00 AM
you're always my idol pobby!

:love: :love: :love:

lildragon
03-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Sorry I'm so late here, but I just wanted to say you've created something amazing here. The hair is astounding! I agree about his umm manhood, but other than that, :thumbsup:

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very good work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

pablov
03-05-2003, 03:25 AM
hey guys, thank you very much for the feedback, and thank you lildragon for the award.

sorry, I was a little bussy last week, so i couldn't check the posts.
so, well i modeled it in a default pose and them I riged.
about the software, I am using XSI 3.0.

I gonna post a close up of the hair prety soon

thank you again.

pablov
03-06-2003, 06:26 AM
hey guy, there you have a close up of the hair

http://www.vfs.com/~pablov/hair01.jpg http://www.vfs.com/~pablov/head01.jpg

cgjie
04-23-2003, 08:19 AM
amazing work!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.