PDA

View Full Version : Splines handled differently on Intel Macs?

GruvDOne
01-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey all,

So I have noticed that splines seem to be handled differently on Intel Macs vs PPC. I have a model of one of my company's new effects pedals, that I created on my PPC Quad. It looks great over there; but anytime I open it up on my MacBook Pro, the badging in the front is all solid (extrude NURB).

I had planned on posting examples of this phenomenon, but as I went to position the camera for a render just now, another of R10's bugs decided to crop up and I found myslef unable to move any object, or the editor camera at all.

PLEASE MAXON WE NEED AN UPDATE!!!

Srek
01-28-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm not aware of any differences here between Intel and PPC macs. Have you reported the issue to MAXON? Also i'm not a aware of a problem that would keep you from moving objects or cameras. To the best of my knowledge you are the first to report such problems.
Cheers
Björn

GruvDOne
01-28-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm not aware of any differences here between Intel and PPC macs. Have you reported the issue to MAXON? Also i'm not a aware of a problem that would keep you from moving objects or cameras. To the best of my knowledge you are the first to report such problems.
Cheers
Björn

That's concerning. Well, I do know of a buddy of mine using an Intel Mac whom I sent a file to containing an extruded logo made on a PPC machine, and he told me that it came in lookinng odd. So, I know it's not entirely isolated.

As for the freezeup thing, that's happened a couple of times to me now. I can create new objects, but cannot move, scale, or rotate them. I can also not zoom, rotate or move any cameras (inculding the editor camera) until I restart my machine. It has, to date only manifested in R10 on an Intel Mac.

Srek
01-28-2007, 08:43 PM
That's concerning. Well, I do know of a buddy of mine using an Intel Mac whom I sent a file to containing an extruded logo made on a PPC machine, and he told me that it came in lookinng odd. So, I know it's not entirely isolated.
Can you please send me the file and a screenshot on how it should look to b_marl (at) maxon (dot) net ? If possible i would like to confirm and nail this problem down so we have a chance of fixing it.

Thanks in advance
Björn

GruvDOne
01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Can you please send me the file and a screenshot on how it should look to b_marl (at) maxon (dot) net ? If possible i would like to confirm and nail this problem down so we have a chance of fixing it.

Thanks in advance
Björn

No problem, but it will have to wait till tomorrow, when I will have access to both machines to make a comparative render.

Cheers

Per-Anders
01-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Just in case (though no doubt this is not the case, but you can never be too sure) be aware that fonts are often different on different platforms, so if by spline you really mean font (or "Text Spline") then that's a common issue between platforms in any application, the solution is generally to not have any font parameters animated and if that doesn't work to make the text spline editable. This is an issue that has existed since the dawn of Macs and PC's.

GruvDOne
01-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks Per, but in this case it isn't a text spline. Rather a logo brought in as an .ai file. Specifically the Fender Logo.

I work for Roland, and one of our divisions is BOSS (the world leading guitar effect pedal manufacturer) just a week ago unveiled 2 new pedals that model 2 of Fender's legendary guitar amps. The Bassman, and the Deluxe Reverb. I created 3D models of both pedals. The badging on the pedals contains the official Fender logos. When extruded on the PPC, the appropriate "holes" are cut in the badging allowing the logos to be seen. On the Intel machines, the "holes" are not cut, and the logos cannot be seen.

As stated though, I will have to wait until tomorrow to post comparative screen shots

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2007, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.