PDA

View Full Version : Question....

3D Bandit
02-23-2003, 03:21 AM
I know, I know....someone has probably asked this before.....All I'm looking for is someone that has used both LW 6 and 7.

I would like to know if there is a real difference.....if there is, what?

A link to an article would be just fine to.....

Thanks.

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 03:25 AM
There is a huge difference.
LW7.5 is more stable and the graph editor is DOG SLOW compared to 7.5. I cant remember all the differences but having used both in production I wouldnt go back. Now, that said,
Are you doing anything in LW6 that makes you feel like you need to upgrade?

3D Bandit
02-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Actually, I'm looking to make a purchase. I've read enough, heard enough, and seen enough about it that I believe it's the best bang for the buck....am I wrong?

What's the deal with what I keep hearing about the animation capabilities. I keep hearing it sucks next to Max....you believe that to be true?

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 03:43 AM
It definately is the best bang for the buck. For animation lightwave is excellent. Lots of people do character animation with it and its got great tools for that. If youre a student you can pick up LW for $395.00 too. I have online courses too like Introduction to Lightwave and the Professional Character Series and some free tutorials and rigs on my website. Check them out. :)

3D Bandit
02-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Let me get this right....

If I'm a student I can get the same complete package for $395?

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by 3D Bandit
Let me get this right....

If I'm a student I can get the same complete package for $395?
That is correct yes. Its the same complete package but with a student license (not supposed to do pay work with it).
So for example if someone signs up for my Intro to Lightwave course (on special now for $395) you can get the Student version of LW for $395 as well. For under $800 bucks you get LW a 3 month course. :)

Arte
02-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Actually, I'm looking to make a purchase. I've read enough, heard enough, and seen enough about it that I believe it's the best bang for the buck....am I wrong?

What's the deal with what I keep hearing about the animation capabilities. I keep hearing it sucks next to Max....you believe that to be true?

It's crap. Some things are better in one package than the other, same as everything else. Most of the issues come from people who don't know LW well enough or are used to a different method of working.

Most of the time people want to animate their modelling as done in max. It's very easily done in LW too but with different techniques.

Each application uses *its* method and trying to mix flows will only create frustration.

X

Jonathan
02-23-2003, 09:51 AM
I think 3D Bandit is refering to the same program just different versions.

3D Bandit
02-24-2003, 02:29 AM
I have a question on the licensing.

Lets say I purchase as I student and in the future I wish to begin working with it. Will I get credit for my $400?

SplineGod
02-24-2003, 02:44 AM
Newtek will allow you to upgrade it to a "Pro" version.
Im not sure what the cost is but I believe they do give you credit. :)

3D Bandit
02-24-2003, 03:08 AM
So, I'm interested in your offer.

So, is it one payment for the class?

And presto Lightwave is mine for $395...

What content comes with the Lightwave package?

Learning materials?

3D Bandit
02-24-2003, 03:12 AM
Also, what are my chances of getting in the gameing industry with Lightwave?

Max seems to run it....

SplineGod
02-24-2003, 03:42 AM
So, I'm interested in your offer.

So, is it one payment for the class?

And presto Lightwave is mine for $395...

What content comes with the Lightwave package?

Learning materials?

You can sign up at:
http://www.splinegod.com/introtolightwave.html
after that I send you the form to fill out and you fax it to Irene at Newtek. :)
Lightwave comes with Manual and CD.

LyonHaert
02-24-2003, 04:42 AM
the license upgrade (to the Commercial License) not only upgrades your license, but also can work as an upgrade for the program itself. that way if someone buys a student version second-hand, they don't have to shell out lots of money to get the commercial license, and possibly upgrade the app version as well. same thing goes for students who get out of school, and decide they want to pursue a career using LW, they can really easily upgrade that.

the cost of this upgrade is the same as the student version itself: $395

My plan is to wait until LW 8.0 comes out (whenever) and buy the commercial upgrade then. a double upgrade, if you will. "kill two birds with one stone."

Psyhke
02-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Sheesh, that's a generous policy. Wish I was a student again.

SplineGod
02-24-2003, 05:41 AM
You could always sign up. ;)

Psyhke
02-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Really, though, if Newtek doesn't 'frown' upon it... if my company ever needs another seat of LW (we're a web company so we don't require 3D all too often), then why not save money and get some training? Is buying a student version in that circumstance considered unethical? :shrug:

SplineGod
02-24-2003, 06:02 AM
I think they would frown upon it since its pretty clearly stated in the license agreement. :)

Psyhke
02-24-2003, 06:13 AM
Hehe.. Oh, I guess you meant I could sign up since I 'wish I could be a student again'. Not for the saving money part. Gotcha. :cool: Didn't think it would fly.

Mike RB
02-24-2003, 07:01 AM
Psyche, but you could buy student versions for 395$ and then upgrade them to commercial ones for 395$, thats just playing in the rules newtek made.

Mike

Psyhke
02-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Yes, that's exatly what I meant. Buy the student version to use while taking a class, and then upgrade it afterwards. All while you already own and use a full version. Well, if someone from NewTek sees this, it would be cool to know if it's kosher or not.

LyonHaert
02-24-2003, 07:12 PM
you do have to be taking 6 credit-hours or more to qualify, though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.