PDA

View Full Version : Poly->Subdivs... are Tris okay?

mrmacdude
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
if i'm modeling in polys, and i plan to convert to subdivs.... is it okay to have a few triangles here and ther? or should they be all quads?

TSB
01-28-2007, 04:06 AM
i say it's ok.

GregOconn
01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
It all depends on the desired effect you are going for. I have found that Tri's for me arn't a problem most of the time, but sometimes when you convert over you will find that it will pinch a little more then you desire.

The important thing is that you understand well how a tri is going to effect your model when you convert over. I found this and vertices which have 5 edges coming out of them can sometimes make your life difficult when they are not in the desired place.

HHH316
01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
For me as a rule I always try and keep quads, that way when I sub-divide the mesh surface will be smooth, however sometimes I always end up with a few triangles in my model somehow.

newellteapot
01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
I believe it's better to stay away tris as much as possible, they create quite few probs when rigging.

Just my opinion :)

Sinew
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
ive learnt to avoid triangles on important areas, like curves, folds, etc. i can get away with triangles if A. the surface is very smooth, B. if you are never going to see it fully ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.