PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX and VS 1.7 WIP

ddustin
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Here is another attempt at using the fumeFX plug-in in conjunction with VS 1.7.

I think it's OK and would surely be good enough for one of our crash scenes, but the smoke has a silvery tint no matter what I try.

We'll probably test just particles to see how that works.

The file is here www.dustinproductions.com/max-renders/A6-dust-1-27-07a.mov (http://www.dustinproductions.com/max-renders/A6-dust-1-27-07a.mov) (14.5Mb sorry)

david

noouch
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
The dust/smoke is way too thick, it looks almost solid. May have something to do with the fog in the scene. Also needs more turbulence. It might be a good idea to render the smoke as an extra pass along with a z-channel...

Gravey
01-28-2007, 03:48 AM
i haven't had a chance to play with fumeFX yet but i'm guessing it will have some settings similar to afterburn like noise size and such which need to be lowered.
as for the 'silvery tint', just another guesss but are there specular / reflective settings that are currently active? if so try deactivating them

and i agree with noouch's comments

SoLiTuDe
01-28-2007, 06:45 AM
looks like you need to turn the opacity down, and maybe use the fluid mapping option with a smoke map or something... then change the color so it's more brown / sand ish coloring, rather than gray. Also, it doesn't look like it's casting / receiving / self shadows or any shadows at all for that matter, it might help bring some detail into the smoke as well.
Otherwise, the motion looks good! :thumbsup:

Matt^
01-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Not used Fume, so this is just a wild stab in the dark... but is your smoke coming out grey because your environment is set to grey? See what it looks like when your environment background is set to black, and also make sure the ambient global lighting is set to black as well.
:shrug:

ddustin
02-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Here is the latest version.
http://www.dustinproductions.com/max-renders/A6-dust-2-5-07a.mov
The smoke/dust has more opacity (used a noise map), but it still has a ways to go.

david

Ls3D
02-06-2007, 03:35 AM
superhypersam (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=193070) - The disapation values under the smoke roll out should be what u are looking for. Acts as a sort of life of part setting
I thought this reply to your previous post sounded rather authoritative?
Did you try it or find such a setting?

The new version looks a bit light from the onset, so if you could have the density of the earlier version falloff to this lighter version over 40 - 60 frames I think you would have a nice solution.

-Shea

ddustin
02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah I did play with the disipation. It drove the simulation times up to 30+ hours.

I suppose I could have tried to composite the smoke/dust, but that seems counter productive.

david

superhypersam
02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
yeah dissapation can do that., a lil goes a long way.

Have u tried the AFC curve for smoke opacity in the render section of the Fume dialog?

cheers

ddustin
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes we have.

if I understand it correctly, the AFC curve is negated if I use an opacity map.

I like the map a lot better than not using it.

david

superhypersam
02-07-2007, 12:12 AM
the Afc still works even with a map applied.

Open the fume preview, play with the threshhold and afc together, see the results in real time.

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2007, 12:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.