PDA

View Full Version : Hard body modeling sharpe Corner Advice

A3Y55
01-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi

My first attempt at hard body modeling which is a spitfire (A) and I have comeup against a problem.. I have spend a good few hours on this one bit and still dont have a result!

Its around the cockpit area (B) .. the body and the cockpit canopy are seperate geometry.
When both are smoothed I get this result (C) the canopy cuts into the body.

I know how to achieve a sharpe/pinched corner on the bodywork but I want to try to keep the geometry as pretty light.

Also would it be easier if it was one peice of geometry?

Is there a way to do this or is it just a case of adding more edges that flow along the body?

Please do comment on the topology... good, bad, OK?
and ways I might improve.

Thanks

Wayne

nerv789
01-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Hello, Nice looking model going on there. It has nice proportion and shapes.

It may give you better result if it was one mesh. As far as hard edge goes, I think only way you can do it is by running couple more edges along the line, unless you convert it to subDs.

You could try to separate the engine part from body mesh and simplify the flow of geometry around that area. Something I noticed when I was looking at image.

Good luck

kirigoi
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi A3Y55. If you want sharp edges after smoothing, you'll definitely need to add more detail to your mesh, one edge either side of the corner at a minimum. There's also more tweaking that you should do to terminate loops e.g. around the engine vents. I've discussed similar things e.g. here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4084114#post4084114) and here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4084089#post4084089) before and there may be something that can help you there, but if you're still stuck let me know and I'll give you a more substantial answer. Good luck. :thumbsup: M

A3Y55
02-02-2007, 08:41 PM
OK... Ive worked on it some more and got it to this stage (see attached) there are still s few things I'm unsure of...

Take a closer look at the cockpit area... you will notice that there is a poly there with 6 sides.... as I understand it is not best practice to model this way and should limit number of poly edges to no more that 4.

However it seems to smooth fine!!

Is this OK to work this way ... I mean as long as the finished model smooths into quads OK?

The spitfire exercise was also an exercise for me to see how few polys I could get it to work in while still keeping a reasonable amount of detail.

I sure Its possile to get the number down even more ... but I not sure where I would take edges out without loosing sharpe edges and overall form. I would love to learn how games modelers do it.

Are there any lowpoly games modeling tutorials about on the net? or are there any games modelers out there who would be willing to show me the errors of my ways?

cheers

Wayne

nerv789
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I think keeping all polygon in quads are not really useful especially in hard surface modeling.
I've been reading art of rigging book and they also states that' it's a carry over concept from nurbs modeling where you are forced to work in quad patches. Polygon doesn't have such restrictions. For organic models, some deformation do require that you model certain place in quads. But hard surface doesn't require any deformation.

Anyways, as long as you can smooth it and it doesn't create weired artifacts, you can keep it how many ever sided polygon. If you smooth it, it should turn everything quad anyways. When it renders, it's internally converted to tris as well.

At least those are my beliefs.
Someone may have other reasons:)

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2007, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.