PDA

View Full Version : uv mapping headache

DeViSoR
02-23-2003, 01:17 AM
I promisse I have tried.. but I feel loss on this one..

I'm trying to make a uv map for the body of my female character.. http://home.online.no/~devisor/temp/female_character/female_22.jpg

I guess breaking every body part to have it's own uv map would be a solution.. suggestions and tips would be great..

leigh
02-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah, you do it in different sections. There is no way you can do just one UV unwrap for the entire body - it would just end up as one huge mess.

It's just a matter of divind the body up into logical sections, and unwrapping each one accordingly.

Btw that looks like a Poser model :surprised

DeViSoR
02-23-2003, 01:31 AM
ohmg... please don't say that.. I have spent huge amount of hours modelling that...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41301&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Chewey
02-23-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
Yeah, you do it in different sections. There is no way you can do just one UV unwrap for the entire body - it would just end up as one huge mess.

It's just a matter of divind the body up into logical sections, and unwrapping each one accordingly.

Btw that looks like a Poser model :surprised

lol! Leigh, you really know how to hit em where it hurts!

:shrug:

leigh
02-23-2003, 01:49 AM
OMG I'm sorry, I didn't mean any offense. There is actually nothing, poly-speaking, wrong with Poser models - they are actually well formed things. It's the actual idea of the app I don't like.
I simply meant that it has that shop mannequin look that Poser models have :)
If I had actually thought it WAS a Poser model, I would have asked "Is that a Poser model?", not said what I did :)

Anyhoo, get cracking on those UVs now!!

wgreenlee1
02-23-2003, 01:50 AM
That does not look like no stinkin pooser model.

DeViSoR
02-23-2003, 02:00 AM
hehe thx...

I'll try cracking the uv code tomorrow again.. my wife is ordering me to the bed..... :rolleyes: and it's because it's 0300 here...

I can guess what she is thinking now.. "when will he ever start spending more time on me"...

hehe good nigh.

faulknermano
02-23-2003, 07:02 AM
go to:

www.menithings.com and look for the UV tutorial there. it's all about making your own custom UV map by creating an endomorph (so that you can preserve the base object) and cannibalizing your model's parts and lay them out like cloth. and then take a "uv snapshot" of it.

DeViSoR
02-24-2003, 08:07 PM
great link.. and damn how much points I will have to unweld.. uv mapping should be more simple then this hehe...

faulknermano
02-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DeViSoR
great link.. and damn how much points I will have to unweld.. uv mapping should be more simple then this hehe...

in my mind, this _is_ simple _especially_ for more complex / organic models. i like that fact that i can place my geometry in any place within the UV area.

about unwelding: well, just create the endomorph and unweld (one click away) and then then you're finished arranging the geometry, take a UV "snapshot", and go back to the base object an merge points (also one mouse click). no need to select points to weld.

DeViSoR
02-26-2003, 08:32 PM
faulknermano, thx that was really simple :)

here is a little progress pic...

http://home.online.no/~devisor/temp/female_character/textureprog02.jpg

MorBioS
02-27-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't know guys. But LW UV is very hard and bored. I don't know how is another 3d packets, but I can't make UV in my models.

Menithings method is very good to low res models. But and mid or high density models, it's transformed a complicate job to make UVs.

Please Leigh, could you make a UV tutorial for us with detail human geometry?:bounce:

I'm very sad for can't get make my UVs :shrug:

thanks all and excuse my poor english

faulknermano
02-27-2003, 03:06 AM
valter, i agree the fact that it's good for low-poly / subpatch objects, and not suited readily to high-poly counts. when i do have high poly counts, i often use the same carcass technique but use more deformation tools (as opposed to simply rotating them).

does anyone know if a native lw tool can combine UVs together (like maya's UV sets)?

DeVisor: that's a neat looking model. i see you got everything smacked on. :D

DeViSoR
02-28-2003, 09:41 PM
oh pain oh pain.. what is going on here??

http://home.online.no/~devisor/temp/female_character/textureprog04.jpg

can anyone plz tell me how to get ridd of those errors?

kretin
02-28-2003, 10:12 PM
DeViSoR: You're coming across a common problem here with using multiple UV maps on a single surface. Quite honestly, unless you're overlapping the UV's, it's easiest just to seperate each UV area into it's own surface (most highly recommended option).

If you are overlapping, or just choose to continue with a single surface, you'll need to do some tricks to fix the error.

First try this. Select the offending polys, basically all the polys surrounding the edge of the UV map in question. Then unweld, and clear those polys from the UV map, then merge.

Sometimes this will work ok and that's all you need to do. Other times the highest mapping will still affect some of the polys in other parts of the surface. If this is the case then you need to select all the polys in the surface that "aren't" part of the UV map, unweld and map them into the UV map. Then scale those polys right down to almost a point, and put them in an unused corner of the map (then merge). Then create an alpha map, if you don't have one already, white where the UV map is, and black in that little corner with all the other polys.

I found that with overlapping UV maps I needed this method together with alpha maps for every UV map on the object, as even the bottom layers were affecting geometry they shouldn't.

faulknermano: Yeah, the copy map command. Just choose an existing map to copy to and it'll combine them.

DeViSoR
02-28-2003, 10:23 PM
ok thx.. I'll try to go with giving the legs it's own surface.. welding those points took me long enough time after I made a endmorph for the uvmapping.. could not just press m :( don't know why...

to be honest here,, I have newer made a alpha map or know how to.. This is really my first time making something with this complex nature... so have patience ;)

kretin
02-28-2003, 10:30 PM
If you create an endomorph for mapping that seperates the geometry you can't merge those points in the base model, as they're still seperated in the morph. You need to delete the morph before you can merge the points.

An easier way to do it is to have a morph for each UV map, and rather than seperating the geometry, just move the section you need to where it needs to be, ignoring (or better hiding) the geometry you don't want in the map. That way you don't need to go through and weld each point manually.

Alpha maps are easy, just an image with white where you want the image to appear and black where you don't want it to appear. Various shades of grey will give you partial visability of the map. Just make sure you place it just above the image map and give it the "alpha" blending mode.

DeViSoR
02-28-2003, 11:13 PM
ok tryed both of your suggestions, didn't work :hmm:

"Sometimes this will work ok and that's all you need to do. Other times the highest mapping will still affect some of the polys in other parts of the surface. If this is the case then you need to select all the polys in the surface that "aren't" part of the UV map, unweld and map them into the UV map. Then scale those polys right down to almost a point, and put them in an unused corner of the map (then merge). Then create an alpha map, if you don't have one already, white where the UV map is, and black in that little corner with all the other polys."

all parts of the body has it's own uv map, this is driving me crazy....

kretin
02-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Ok, so you gave the legs their own surface...

Did you remove the leg UV maps from the body surface?

If you don't have any overlapping UV maps, then I suggest giving the polys for each UV map their own surface. Then "only" use the UV map for those polys on each surface.

DeViSoR
02-28-2003, 11:24 PM
*finds a large iron bar and hits his head* doh doh...

giving the feets it's own surface actually fixed it thx.. I had forgotten to delete the uv image for the feets from the boyd's surface setting...

so easy... thx...

kretin
02-28-2003, 11:53 PM
np :)

DeViSoR
02-28-2003, 11:59 PM
http://home.c2i.net/pwaeraas/devisor/textureprog05.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.