PDA

View Full Version : How much can you render before LW becomes unstable?

Shade01
02-23-2003, 12:42 AM
I dunno, there's something about a LW scene I set up that keeps crashing LW. It's a 464,000 polygon scene with 1 light + GI, and all procedural textures and the minute I hit f9 it crashes straight to desktop and it's driving me friggin crazy. Does anyone have any idea what's causing it or is there a point where LW starts to become unstable? I've seen LW scenes with millions of polys so It must be something else, not sure what though.:annoyed:

minus
02-23-2003, 12:52 AM
Usually if I have a problem with crashes while rendering... it's the fault of some funky plug-in that is rendering. If your using 3r party shaders.... or the like... try disabling em? In general though.. half a million polys render fine for me with no issues.

takkun
02-23-2003, 01:42 AM

Arte
02-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi there.

I have exactly the same problem on a scene I am doing now. It only quits out when I try to render 4000 *3000:)
I have about 2million polygons in the scene.

I have found that if I remove the scene's Hypervoxels it renders fine. Do you have hypervoxels in the scene?

What is funky is that the processor makes a difference. On an Athlon it quits before it renders. On a P4 I've seen it quit just before it saves. Annoying either way.

I am 100% it is memory related, there is only 1Gig of ram on the machines I tested it on and I run out of physical memory long before I even get the chance to render. (Task manager can tell you this.)

Guess we both might need more ram.

X

Shade01
02-23-2003, 08:46 AM
I think I got it. There was a plugin I was using that kept crashing my scene. A shame, because it's extremely useful. I reinstalled to an older version and it seems to work fine now. Thanks for the comments!

Jonathan
02-23-2003, 10:00 AM
I've done upward to 4 million polys on my old Dual 700 PIII. I was also running windows NT. I tried doing that on the same machine under win2k, it crashed like clockwork, I mean the kind of crash you can't recover from.

Running 2k on my 2.4ghz P4, yep I've gotten pretty good results. Max I rendered on this machine so far is about 1.5 million polys and it didn't even hiccup.

takkun
02-24-2003, 12:27 AM
Shade01, try this free plugin-- Split Render:

The 'SplitRender' plugin will split one frame (or sequence of frames, animation) into multiple scenes so that each segment is rendered with different render region. These split frames will then be reconstructed by running the second component of this plug-in. This is very useful for reducing ram requirements for ultra-high resolution images.

http://frenchwave.mental-tv.org/home.shtml

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.