PDA

View Full Version : "Freezing Transformations"

lifire
01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
For all of those you familiar with Maya, does MB have anything similar to maya's freeze transformations (not like snapping with parent constraints).

For example, if you create a null and drag it over a joint, it has translation values. So, if connect that to your control rig in any way, then "go to stance pose" in the control rig, the null will not reset as well, so it would be nice to "zero" the translation values out on the null, but since the values were not zero, you would have to write them down to remember them.

Speaking of this situation, is there any way to set "stance values" for objects outside of the control rig so that when you go to stance other objects reset as well?

This stems from my post on reverse foot rigs, as the LeftFoot handle does not reset, and breaks the whole foot rig.

In addition, floor contacts with this setup seem to break the foot. If the contacts kick in and you raise the foot again, the ball remains bent.

A lot of questions, I know, but they all stem from the same setup.

Thanks in advance.

xcomb
01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Unfortunatly you can't freez transformation in MB, you have to do that in Maya first,
if you want to center the pivot in MB, you have to manually move Rotation Pivot.
Make sure you use correct scale units in Maya first, as for me, i use centimiters and my character is 170 centimiters, and it is centered at 0 0 0 world coordinates. For that matter i don't have that problem with foot kicking upward or what ever.
As far as stance pose, you can of course characterize your character and it will hold that pose as stance, but again, you have to consider all aspects before even going inside MB, everything in Maya.

lifire
01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I would freeze transformations in maya, but the whole reverse foot rig is build in MB AFTER the character has been characterized. So that's when you insert the nulls and what not. And I know about stance pose for a character, but what about for a null that say a hand effector is parented to? When you reset to stance pose, the effector moves to stance, but the null does not.

Hard to explain, but if you have ever tried the reverse foot rig in VLM 6 at 3DBuzz you might know what I'm trying to explain.

Good advice about the real world measurements though.

xcomb
02-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Yeah i've tryed it once, but i remember having this problem.
I usually create Pivot effectors, and if for some reason i have to go to stance pose, i get rid off them.

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2007, 07:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.