PDA

View Full Version : UV or not UV .....newbie question

PolyMangler
02-22-2003, 11:45 PM
soo i've just gone through this great tutorial on creating UV textures with LW (http://www.borderequals0.org/)

Once i finished the tut i thought to myself "self it would be great to be able to do this but make the UV's using the "creat UV" function in the ever handy texture guide so i didn't get the distorition in the UV map that you get when you use the suggested method of "procedually created UV"s" (i.e. planer, sphereical, etc and automatic sizing turned on)

but dah hah like many of ingenious plans there was a horrible horrible flaw , When i made the uv's using the Texture Guide i could not manipulate the UV's. Locked in stone and unwavering the uv vertexs laughed at my futile attempts to drag them. so...

question: is there anyway to "unlock" uv vertexs that have been created with the texture guide or is there some functionality confilct i'm totally unaware of?

any comments or suggestions are most welcome

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 04:47 AM
You should be able to adjust the UVs in the UV viewport or with texture guide. Ive never had UVs ever "lock up".
You dont have to use UVs either. You can apply maps in layers and the use alpha maps/weight maps to blend out the areas where the texture distorts or smears.

PolyMangler
02-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Hiya splinegod- good to see a familier face from buzz.

Thanks for the input i'll plug away at it and see if it good ole' dumb user error.

When i use the texture editor to make the uv- I position it, scale it whatever....then his the "make uv" check box, make a name for it and hit enter- and wham I have UV"s....and that's it.... could i be missing a step somewhere in teh process?

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Basically all youre doing with UV maps is saying exactly where a vertex maps into an image map. There are various ways to do that. Once you globally create the UV map it just means that the software goes thru each point and assigns it a postion on an image map. From there you can (in the UV editor viewport) selelct a vertex and change its UV coordinate. Texture guide is simply a tool to grossly place a texture and create the UVs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.