PDA

View Full Version : MotionMixer Example

LNT
02-22-2003, 11:11 PM
MotionMixer really works great!

here's a 400 frame loop (DivX5.02) (http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/long.avi)

http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/cg/tall.jpg (http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/long.avi)

Triple G
02-22-2003, 11:24 PM
:eek: Wow....really cool model, LNT. I've gotta start getting into MotionMixer again. I tried it a little bit when it first came out with 7 (did the Dan Ablan hand tutorial), and it seemed cool, but the one thing I hated was that you couldn't delete a transition! Whenever you highlighted it and pressed delete, the delete keyframe window would come up. The only way around it that I could figure out (actually a friend of mine told me) was to remap the delete keyframe button to something other than the delete key on your keyboard. What a pain in the butt...:rolleyes: Did they ever fix this, or is it still like that?

As for the animation, mostly it looks pretty good, but I noticed that the knees seem a bit "poppy". Cool stuff, though. :thumbsup:

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 11:41 PM
:thumbsup:

proton
02-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Awesome!

LNT- Could I get a couple cool screen grabs of the entire LW interface with Motion Mixer up with ur character in it to use in the future......

Very Nice!

LNT
02-23-2003, 01:54 AM
I'm kinda getting back into character animation stuff after awhile and now I wonder how I could ever do without MM

I used to think it was primarily for cyclic animations but now I realise its true power - with it you can do anything

it needs a couple of options more to make a perfect animation engine,but it's pretty darn close already

proton - you know I'd do anything to help promote lw - here's a direct screen grab of my interface...do I need to make it more MMspecific or smaller or whatever...let me know how you need it

http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/cg/LNT4proton_grab.jpg

E_Moelzer
02-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Hehe this stuff is great and funny too.
I feel that the transitions seem a bit to hard though...
But what am I saying.. I could not do that!
Great work!
CU
Elmar

Irie
02-23-2003, 03:50 AM
LNT...

tho you may be a busy man... think you could get around to writing a tut for us? i, for one, would love to see more motion mixer tuts available, and it seems that you have a good grasp on it... just a suggestion.

looks cool
matt

illustrativ
02-23-2003, 04:32 AM
this looks good, i think if motion designer should take some features that XSI's Animation Mixer have or even better ones. Good stuff though LNT.

kretin
02-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Motion Mixer is great, but still has a few issues that need working out before it's a joy to work with. I just finished an animation that uses MM extensively, the test animation for the bird I recently made. Took just over a day to animate, would've taken at least 3 times longer without MM.

The trick to MM is working out what animations to use for MM and what to leave for manual keyframing. For the bird I used MM for flying/gliding, wing flapping, and occasionally wings opening and closing. MM is still not good enough to really do things like walk cycles.

What I would like to see in MM is weight curves working across pre and post behaviours, the ability to copy and paste into the timeline, a scroll bar for the timeline, and a choice when baking to only bake the keys from the motion rather than a key on every frame.

Triple G: It's easier now just to right click and select "remove" from the context menu, and leave your delete key where it is.

LNT: Great work, nice character. Using MM on the tail and other dangly bits is a great idea, although I would be careful using it for the walking, it will restrict your animation too much when you need to walk in anything other than a straight line.

LNT
02-23-2003, 11:08 PM
kretin - hmmm...I dont really see much of a problem

I mean if one couldnt use MM for walking then MM would be pretty much useless

the way I see it...when you animate character's walk you always need to repeat the leg controllers motions - even if you dont use MM for walking you'd still have to do the same work only the whole thing would have to be keyframed - so why not simply use MotionMixer as a walk motion clip manager...afterall that's what it was made for

of course,when the walk path is not a straight line it is necessary to hand keyframe transform null but MM can cycle the feet controllers no sweat

but I think that ultimately any keyframed animation could and maybe even should be split into pieces and thrown into MotionMixer cos it's a very good animation organizer/timing utility ...you can always drop any motion instance to Layout for editing and modify only that instance...I also keep my keyframe scenes saved separately

Irie - I suppose I could put a tutorial together some time but MotionMixer is really a very simple to use piece of software

you have to adhere to the same principles which apply to animation in general...use as few keyframes on as few channels as possible and break everything up into as many simple pieces as possible

I maybe getting too old for writing tutorials - whenever I imagine myself making one it always looks more like "the principles of doing this and that" than your usual "do this" tutorial

text only tutorial would be boring ,no?

ClingFree
02-23-2003, 11:10 PM
LNT, great work! I really like your animation, although there seems to be a small hitch in his right leg. I'm sure this test was really for MM and not animation, but I thought I would mention it. The tail is really cool. Motion mixer is really great when you get used to using it. I definitely agree with Kretin.

Chewey
02-23-2003, 11:30 PM
That's really neat! A bunch of screen grabs for a quick tute would be tres kewl!

:scream:

proton
02-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Great screen grab....Thanx! I will see what I can use it for and make sure to get u a copy!

LNT
02-24-2003, 03:21 PM
I'll mail you another one...just in case :)

chewey - it'd be good if I knew what issues/problems people have with MMixer (I havent had any) to address in that possible tutorial

it's help me come up with some kind of concept for it

proton
02-24-2003, 03:26 PM
feel free to send me this kind of stuff all the time :)

williamv@newtek.com

LNT
02-24-2003, 11:15 PM
oh,but there will be plenty more in awhile :)

Irie
02-25-2003, 12:33 AM
LNT,

I can tell you one big problem I had when working through the Inside Lightwave 7 tut for MM. Ablan has you do a few motions with arm bones and use them in MM.. then combine them.... but i kept running into the issue of when i would put a transition between two of the motions, when it hit the transition, the bones would just explode across the scene, in everydirection, then once it got to the next motion, they would be in place.... never did figure that out, which is why i frustrated and quit trying (that and i have alot of other shit on my plate).

LNT
02-25-2003, 01:21 AM
I havent got Inside7 but I saw a video with Dan doing similar stuff with motion mixer - I think it was only a Poser hand with bones in fingers and it all worked

it sounds like either the transition you tried to make caused a huge conflict in lightwave or it was the only way for lightwave to solve it...I cant tell cos I dont know how the rotatations&pivot points are set

my advice to people using MM is very simple:

when you create motions always make sure you do it only for the items that are in that particular motion rather than create them for everything you got in your actor or worse in your scene

if your method of work is clean (this comes with certain experience) lightwave works like a very stable machine and will never let you down

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.