PDA

View Full Version : stacking particles

japetus
01-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm working on a project where I need to have some numbers fall from the sky and fill the screen until it is black with numbers. I've been trying to decide between using PF and Reactor. The main problem is the quantity I need to fill the screen...I might need about a thousand. Reactor start freeking out with that many falling, and I can't get convincing piling of numbers from PF, they just all intersect eachother. I was trying to use the Keep Away operator but that didn't quite do the trick. Maybe I'm just missing something, I've been staring at this for too long now lol. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

plejboy
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey.
If you are working with max 9 you can get speedy rigidbody calculations if you use Havok 3 instead of the standard havok. Or get Nima (http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/72/89/lang,en/) . Its free and fast.
Could be a solution maybe.

Hope you solve it.

mackdadd
01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
you can pick which Havok engine to use in Max 9? that would be odd - why wouldn't they just assume everyone wants to use the faster, better one?

grury
01-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Would recomend Orbaz Box#3 Tools: Full Body Collision.
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247

plejboy
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
hey dudes.

mackdadd- Yes, you can choose between havok and havok 3. 3 is very fast on rigidbodies but thats about the only thing it can handle. so for full simulations with cloth and softbodies you HAVE to use standard Havok.

grury- You are linking to orbaz box#2 which is still in production. box 3 is out but since box 3 offers a whole new depth in pflow I think Oleg (who makes pflow) wanted to rewrite box 2 to add the new flexibilety which box 3 offers. There are plenty of discussions over at Orbaz about this. Personally I CANT wait for box 2! It will change alot i recon.

theotheo
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
And you can ofcourse just use simcloth3 , cloth & decent rigid bodies for free :)

-theo

charleyc
01-27-2007, 05:50 PM
depending on the scale and camera proximity, there are a couple of ways to approach this. But I think the most efficient and effective way would be to use a combination of tools. I would try reactor (or whatever rb sim you desire) to stack the numbers right in front of the camera (sort of like a wall in front of the camera) so you get the nice collisions. Then for the background numbers, just use PFlow and an animated collision plane. Having the particles bounce once or twice and then stopping as the deflector rises to simulate stacking. I used this technique to simulate sand filling a container once...worked well. I would use Keep Apart to at least give a hint of inter-particle collision, but with the rb sim in front of the camera you should be able to make it quite believable.

grury
01-28-2007, 05:19 PM
hey dudes.

grury- You are linking to orbaz box#2 which is still in production. box 3 is out but since box 3 offers a whole new depth in pflow I think Oleg (who makes pflow) wanted to rewrite box 2 to add the new flexibilety which box 3 offers. There are plenty of discussions over at Orbaz about this. Personally I CANT wait for box 2! It will change alot i recon.

Didnt realised it was a Box#2 link, altho I'm pretty sure u can use Box#3 for Full Body Collision. At least I remember playing with it on the demo version. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do like Charleys aproach tho.

supremepizza
02-12-2007, 05:28 AM
I'd set up Pflow to run in reactor. There's a tut on Mckay's site.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2007, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.