PDA

View Full Version : Network rendering with FG

Nick2970
01-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I am wondering if it is possible to network render (using smedge doign packets not MR satellite) using a final gather cache file?

I can do this with Final Render, each machine adds to the cache file, this is with moving objects, so each machine adds per frame.

If I try this with mental ray each machine seems to wipe the file out and starts again per frame, possibly cencelling each other out

Any solutions??

Cheers, Nick

CrazyOwl
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
from manual(hope it helps):

The finalgather map copying and merging utility fg_copy is started as fg_copy [options] infile1 infileN outfile

It reads finalgather map files infile* created with finalgather file statements in the options block in the .mi scene file, and merges them into a single finalgather file outfile. Each file is a collection of finalgather points that represent the irradiance at a specific 3D coordinate.

This tool is helpful when rendering animations. Flickering is reduced with moderate computational effort if several key frames are rendered with final gathering saved to files. The -finalgather only command-line of mental ray option allows rendering these files quickly without rendering color images. When all the finalgather map files for the key frames are finished, the fg_copy tool can combine them into a single finalgather map file that can be used for beauty-rendering the entire animation. (This does not work for detail shadowmap (file:///C:/Program%20Files/Alias/mentalray3.5/docs/RefGuide/node80.html#INDEX264)s files.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.