PDA

View Full Version : turning geometry into lights... tutorial??

Irie
02-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey guys,

Im trying to construct an elevator shaft scene where there will be lights on the walls of the shaft. Ill be the first to admit that i have no lighting skills, but... theres no time like the present to work shit out (oh lord im quoting the beastie boys).

So, im looking for a way to turn geometry into lights... like, for instance, fluorescent tubes and the like...

got any tuts for me? and tips? Ive been looking but havent found anything fitting.

thanks
matt

mohh
02-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Try luxigons.

Irie
02-22-2003, 05:54 PM
im not sure if i explained correctly... either that or i dont fully understand luxigons...

example: I want to use a long, skinny cylinder to light a scene instead of direct lighting... i want the light to eminate from the geometry.... i have tried simple things such as luminosity to get it, but its still not what i want.

thnx

Nonproductive
02-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Guessing here, as I am no lighting guru...

If I understand you right you want a kind of "neon tube" like light within the shaft?

Couldn't you use linear lights within the shaft and then adjust the falloff and intensity of them so that you don't over light the scene?
You would attach one linear light to each "neon tube."

Or, of course, I could be way off base ;)

Irie
02-22-2003, 06:23 PM
sounds reasonable.... would i then crank up the glow on the object?

Nonproductive
02-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Possibly :)

Experiment a little to see if you can get a result you like - I was just shooting from the hip based on the (very little) I know about lighting in Lightwave.

Irie
02-22-2003, 06:59 PM
im on it! ive actually been tinkering now and have something working....thx for your help :)

minus
02-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Hmm well in short... make the luminosity of your object you want to cast light... 100%... and then render with radiosity and it works. :) --- An issue comes with light intensity though.. I often want the light surface to be "brighter"... and since all of Lightwave is "unclamped" you can have a luminosity of 10000% if you want... though the higher over 100 percent you go... the more toward "white" the actual light output becomes. So it can be tricky if you want a blue light for example... and want it really really bright. -- If it's the only light in the scene though... you can get things pretty bright in post using the Floating point picture viewer in Lightwave. Here is an example:
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/notic9.jpg
And another example here so you can see how it works with a Key light.
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/lightfalll.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.