PDA

View Full Version : [Question Mudbox] Hard Edges on an Organic Body

THyRoID
01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey all, first of all... where's the mudbox forum @ cgtalk?! :)

I have a character that has leather straps and some other fiddly bits which have hard edges. I've been playing around with it but can't figure out a technique to get a really good looking edge. I'm importing a lowpoly mesh in from max to normal map. When I sub/d the mesh it starts to blend in the straps and metal into the body. This sucks because once its sub/d for the first time I don't know which lvl1 faces line up with lvl0 faces.

Within max, I can turbosmooth it with smoothing groups defined and it keeps edges where they should be. But as far as I can tell mudbox works with only one sg. Is there a way to use more sg's or define edges or something?

I've tried a few different things like cutting up the model or just editing the leather normal out of the map but it still all looks pretty ugly as part of the body retains the 'bleeding' info.

I'm still new to the program so I thought maybe someone here would have some knowledge and wisdom to share. Thanks for reading!

THyRoID
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Just in case anyone cares... :P

Quick and Dirty, I'm moving it vert by vert using the move tool in mudbox... sooo slow its painfull but at least its getting the job done. Some "inorganic" modeling tools such as max's would be a great boost to any organic modeling package. The level of control would be phenominal. But im rambling now... again if anyone else here uses mb and has any useful techniques to share please dont hesitate! :)

jclepev
01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
you should try pinching and the flatten tool.

THyRoID
01-26-2007, 05:32 PM
The pinch tool will actually distort the lvl0 mesh in such a way that the low poly mesh looks bad as well as have issues deforming. I'm working on low poly game art. I tried the flatten tool but I didn't like the results but to be fair I didn't try it for very long. I'll give it another go and see if I can figure something out. Do you have any tips or tricks for that brush?

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.