PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel looking for critiques

cyberdogs7
01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
My reel can be found at this site,

http://www.chadmauldin.com/3d.htm

I'm really trying to get as many critiques as possible, because I really want to strive for the best animation I can do. This reel is still not my best work, I only had two weeks to create all the content, but I want to use it as a foundation to expand my abilities and get a job. Thanks in advance. And be as harsh as you want.

mrflynn
01-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Scrap your entire reel mate, its not doing you any favours.
Next grab "The Illusion of life" and "Animators Survival Kit" these 2 books alone will provide you with soooo much indepth knowledge of animation itl make you cry with joy!

After youve done EVERY exercise in the survival kit and know your competant sit down and work on 1 scene for your demoreel, take acting classes if you have to but throw yourself at one scene only till its perfect!

The reason im not simply saying improve this or that bit of your reel is simple, its just lacking so much that fixing it bit by bit would be too much via criticism, you really do need to learn animation fundementals, HECK I DO TOO ;P

so dont take this the wrong way mate and good luck.

cuatemoc69
01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey Chad
For someone like yourself working on an animation demo reel I gotta say, its not the best, but its definately not the worst. I do not think you need to scrap the whole thing, I think you just need to redo the animations you have chosen . I would suggest that you use the head model in your reel (the one in gray and wireframed) and use it to animate the lypsinc of the anchorman scene. you can make those two elements in your reel into one. That would really show you've mastered lipsyncing. and i like your choice of the cowboy walk and shoot. However I think it may be better if you recreated a scene from the good the bad or the ugly or unforgiven, and try to recreate the cowboy's character through the animation. I think if you got those two animations down tight, it would improve your reel. hope it helps.

cyberdogs7
01-29-2007, 06:59 AM
I really do want to thank you for the comments. I do feel that my reel does not include my best work right now, have to balance familiy, work, and everything else, and then make time to work on the reel. I will take the advice you guys have given me and put it to work. I don't think I can afford to scap the whole thing right now, but I do agree that I need to find a way to bring more charater into my charaters. I like the sugestion about redoing the movie scene's. If anybody else has anything to help me out feel free to add your 2 cents. Thanks.

mistasam02
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
if theres any suggestion i can bring to this, it's to shoot reference footage! all of your characters feel very floaty.. the bodies move seperately from the heads.. and there's no sign of weight in your animations. the main focus on an animation reel is showing you can fake weight, and since most of your scene are static standing shots, that draws most of the attention rather than at the animation. move the waist more! have them take steps and shift weight at the hips while they talk! your walk cycle as well needs a lot of work.. his steps are too high for one. also, do you want to rig? if not, i'd leave the facial and tank pieces out. they're cool, but not necessary really. anyway, hate to agree with the above post, but i'd scrap the reel and either start over or completely overhaul these animations. good luck dude!

dremer
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
"I only had two weeks to create all the content, but I want to use it as a foundation to expand my abilities and get a job."

I'd say if it's all 2 weeks worth of work, it's not bad...
You should definitely spend a lot more time than that on your work, especially for your reel. Animation requires a lot of attention to detail that you're missing if you're trying to rush through it just to get a reel. That's hurting yourself more then helping. I would spend a lot of time working on just one shot, making it perfect, and then submit that shot for critique, and spend a lot more time fixing it. Just my two cents.

Keep working hard and you'll eventually get the hang of it.
good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.