PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 3: (mikewebb) : (Popeye the Sailor: Popeye)

mikewebb
02-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi all,

I guess I am in. Don't ask why Popeye. I don't know. I thought it would be fun. Didn't really like the cartoon too much.

Here is the starting of the construction drawing. I will finish it soon.

Mike :wavey:

tpe
02-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Wont ask why, he is great :)

tpe

mikewebb
02-22-2003, 09:48 PM
tpe,

Thanks for not asking why.

Here is the completed construction drawing. I will start modeling in an hour or two.

Mike

mage111
02-23-2003, 02:48 AM
it looks quite simple, but i'd love to see him 3d :-)

and kicking some arse ;-)

mikewebb
02-23-2003, 03:01 AM
mage111

That face looks a little tricky. Characters are not my specialty but the body seems simple enough. I'd like to see him kick some too as rigging isn't a skill I have, yet. I'll give it a try.

Mike

mikewebb
02-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Update....

Model started!!! Here is how far I got tonight.

Mike :bounce:

tpe
02-23-2003, 07:59 AM
When i went to bed this guy was totally armless (sic sorry). Now it looks like hes been eating his spinitch all right. It looks like you are going to have the tris to model the details in his face and give him hands? he does have lot of fingersfor this type of character though. Actually i think the asymetric head is really going to make the character andwill really give it something. Looking forward to seeing him progress.

tpe

mikewebb
02-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks tpe

I don't know if I will model the fingers. I think I might texture them to save polygons. As for the head, I will try to model it and when I am done modeling everything, I will go over it and cut the number of triangles down to our limit. I want to be sure I have the shape down. If I need to, I will use texture to define the eyes and mouth area. I will see how close I can get to polygon limit.

Mike

mikewebb
02-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Update...

Had a chance to work on the model a little today. Here are the results.

Mike

mikewebb
02-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Update...

Trying to get the folds in the jeans to look right.

Mike

mikewebb
02-24-2003, 04:47 AM
Ok, one more for tonight.

mikewebb
02-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Oops, hit return when the text box wasn't selected.

Here is the last one for tonight.

Mike

mikewebb
02-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Update...

About 1800 polygons! Leaving some 700 for the head, pipe and changes? Cool. I need to play around more with smoothing groups. Textures should be fun too.

Mike

mikewebb
02-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Update...
2100 polygons

Complete but rough model. More work to do.

Mike

Mangled Poly
02-25-2003, 02:20 AM
looking good!:bounce:

mikewebb
02-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Update...

I got a chance to work on the model tonight. I thought his arms were too long so I fixed them. I worked on his head and added ears. I also rounded the cap a bit.

I wanted to also see what this model will look like with textures. Looks like Popeye, no?

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/popeyeBig1.jpg

Let me know what you think.

mikewebb
02-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Hi all, :wavey:

Since I don't do characters that often, could someone give me some advice on how to attach the arm to the shoulder so the animation won't distort badly. I brought the deltoid muscle slightly over the top of the arm thinking that might help the look during animation, but looking at it now, I think it might have to be a smoother transition from muscle to arm. The underarm area also looks like it would distort badly if animated. Maybe if I flatten out the bottom of the underarm some it would help the bend points.

Any thoughts???

Thanks.
Mike

tpe
02-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Yay its popeye :) :). Love it, couldnt you just put 2 or three tris in over his right lip just to bring it upa bit? not important though. as for the deformation, you are lucky here as he is a reasonably skinny character in the shoulder area, i would be tempted to make sure that you have a seriese of vewrts that define the body side that will not be distorted, are attached to the body bone and can have rigid (or close to) weighting. Then on the arm side another set of verts that wont be distorted either, then if you have the extra geometry some verts that are weighed on the body and the upper arm bone that are weighted more to the body on the top and maybe more to the arm in the arm pit. As you have no constrictions on what game it is going into you can use any method you like and even use expressions to link the verts to morph targets for various rotations, just like in high poly (there are not many games that will support this though, mostly older ones that use vert displacment exporters (q3) rather than skeletons for in game animations).

good luck

tpe

mikewebb
02-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks tpe,

I guess I don't really need to rig him at all for the contest. But it seems like such a waste to model and texture him and not see him move around. Thanks for the help. I've only rigged two characters before and they were very simple in design, which helped. I will give it a try again.

Oh… Yes, I will do more modeling on the head. The side of his mouth will have a physical rise to it and the back of his head will be rounder. I have a couple of hundred polygons to play with.:)

Mike

mikewebb
02-26-2003, 06:58 PM
New or old design?

I believe that the original cartoon design had the black shirt and blue pants. Where as the animated version sometimes had the white uniform. I am still modeling but am thinking about textures.

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/popeyeBig2.jpg

Which do you like?

Mike

mikewebb
02-27-2003, 02:43 AM
Maybe I am going about it wrong.

How about if he wears this...

http://www.mtcnet.net/~bierly/popgrl2.jpg

Kidding.

Mike

sadist
02-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Wow you've had a rather quiet thread here..

In general he seems pretty cool and you've got the proportions pretty close, but the arms have to be longer, and the legs just a fraction longer, with his calf sections widened quite a bit. Looks like the upper arm (and maybe the neck) could be thinner too.

The biggest problem I have with this model so far is that it's way too boxy. When you're working with model sheets, don't forget to keep an eye on your 3d views..

Looking at the 3d views you've clearly got 8 sided geometry on the arms, you just have to scale in the diagonal geometry to make it rounder. The same can be said with the torso. The skin shade could be pinker too.. despite the fact he's a big ole sailor man.

I'd suggest a bit more shading around the texture detail on the face, pants, feet.. only the anchor should be that sharp... If u wanna keep it that sharp, then crank up the lighting to avoid the current 3d shading.

catch ya later

mikewebb
02-27-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks sadist,

I agree that the model is a bit too square and I am working on fixing that. Textures are just placeholder colors or, where you see detail, like the face, I painted over a rendered image in Photoshop. Testing different looks ya know. I had a problem with the arms being too long in the early stages of the model. if he dropped his arms to his side they looked like they would drag. I might have over shot how far to shrink them. I will look in to that also. Leg length looks about right in elevation. It might be a bad perspective in the recent renderings.

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

tpe
02-27-2003, 08:21 AM
immediatly i liked the white one best, probably because it shows a lot of character of the original, i am not sure about black or white for the top colour as both have the same dissadvantages for details dissapearing in rendering, i would be tempted to look for a reference with a mid toned colour for the torso?

tpe

mikewebb
02-28-2003, 05:30 AM
Hi tpe,

The white uniform has it's appeal. If I went that direction, I would want to model his necktie. Which isn't a problem except for the fact that I have gotten busy in the last couple of days. I did want to get this last image (for a few days) up to show you how the modeling is going (notice rounder body.). I also textured (really this time!) the face. I think the smirk looks good especially with the raised corner of his mouth.

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/popeyeBig3.jpg

I still have a month to get this done and I am close. I will try to work on it sometime soon. Not sure which direction I will take it yet.

Mike:buttrock:

Loveless
02-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Well, I would try and make the arms and head the same color (as well as neck, etc) GJ so far.

mikewebb
02-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Loveless,

The body hasn't been texture mapped yet. I am just using the color on it as a placeholder and, to get some idea of what it will look like when finished. The skin tone on the face is the real texture map color. I went pinker on it and I think it looks right.

Thanks for the comment.

Mike :wavey:

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 10:55 AM
meant to comment on this thread earlier.. its coming along pretty good. I did like the white one better.. i think it really reads as popeye alot more. looks like your set on the black one though. i think the smirk could use a little work.. i didnt know it was a smirk until i read it in the post. cartoon characters are SO hard to do in 3D, keep it up its getting pretty close

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 06:55 PM
MrHappyPants

Good contest you got going here.

I started the model Popeye based on the proportions of the blue and black drawing. It was the best drawing I could find. I kept that look while modeling him but now that I am close to texturing him I have a choice to make. I could do both white and black/blue and see which one I like better. I have a month to develop them. Having two variations in my portfolio won't hurt either. I think the white is most peoples favorite because of the animated series.

The smirk... I wasn't really going for a smirk but to mimic another illustration I saw of him. I just called it a smirk because of the raised corner of the mouth. I actually think he was talking in the cartoon. I'll see what I can do to improve the face.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 08:04 PM
you know what would be cool is if you modelled in the mouth... youve got 2500 polys so it might be possible to make it efficient enough. also the chin could be a little larger imo... as i was looking at the model last night i knew something was off a tad but couldnt see it.. im pretty sure its that big chin. in some of those pics it curves all the way under the nose... I bet your learning alot, be cool if you did brutus for your reel too!!

ahh uck uck uck *popeye laugh*

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 08:13 PM
ahah i knew it... i went surfing for some big chin pics and found these.. if you type in (brutus popeye) under google/images im sure youll find alot of cool reference..

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 08:14 PM
and some more i grouped together.. your model is pretty close but i bet you could stylize it a little more after looking at more "3d" reference.. people have made sculptures that have got a pretty close likeness

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 08:16 PM
oops meant to attach the pic..

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Thank. They will help. I will post some new images in a bit. Busy with work at the moment.

Mike

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 09:00 PM
He is kind of ugly, isn't he.

Mike

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 09:16 PM
I just compared the ceramic Popeye head to the one I am doing and I am way off. The nose is too big and the chin is too small. I will be doing more modeling on this one, including the mouth.

Thanks for the references. They will help quite a bit.

Mike

mikewebb
03-02-2003, 09:17 PM
No whites in the eyes either.

Mike

mikewebb
03-18-2003, 05:43 AM
I'm back at it! I better hurry on the textures. Here is a update!

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/popeyeBig4.jpg

I've added some notation to show differences. What do you think?

Mike

mikewebb
03-21-2003, 08:30 AM
I am putting on the textures now. If I have time I will try the white texture too. We will have to see.

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/popeyeBig5.jpg

For now I am about 65% done with these textures.

Mike

MrHappyPants
03-28-2003, 07:39 AM
I think youve got a really close likeness! Ive been busy and missed this one for awhile. i think the head is much better now

my only crit is that the textures might need more shading.. but your not done yet sooooo never mind :)

cant wait to see the final post! nice work!

MrHappyPants
03-30-2003, 10:22 PM
dont forget to post up to the submission thread either tonight or early tomorrow for judging! really great piece. cant wait to see more work from you.

ive been thinking i should do a cartoon character but they are soooo hard. I have alot of repect for people who can pull it off ;)

:beer:

mikewebb
03-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks MrHappyPants.

I have bad news. I won't be able to post updates in time. My computer is on the blink. I made backups to the files but can't work on them at the moment. Timing was never my thing. I will continue to refine this model when I get my machine back. I will post them in the finished section of CG Talk but for now, I have to withdraw my entry. I am sorry. Good luck to all the other people entered. There is some really good stuff out there. I will attempt another contest soon. Till then, thanks for the encouragement and help.

It still makes a good portfolio piece. I am happy that I got it 90% there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.