PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Models?

PiNs
02-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Hey all. Had a quick question. I haven't read up much on rendering, so far i've not done much as far as souping up my renders. So far just working on the meat of the scene. But now, the time as come for me to make it look alot better then when i normally render. So, my question is. How can i make a plain model, get that plastic model look? I figure its self explanatory, but just in case i'm being too vague. I just want the model to look soft and rubbery/plastic like. I don't wanna see those sharp edges (just trying this out on a low poly model right now), i want it soft and purdy. Hope you understand what i'm talkin about.....willis....... ;)

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Tab key.

mage111
02-22-2003, 07:38 AM
k im gonna take a stab at this, but i'd like someone else with more know how to possibley addon or correct my errors.

theres probably 2-3 steps involved in this.

first to get a nice, rounded feel of your models, in modeler, deselect all your polys and hit your tab button, all your polys will round off and look very smooth (metanurbs i beleive is the correct term).

well thats the easy part done. now you'll have to render it and get it to be shiny, well or at least i would

if you dont want shiny you can skip on and read something else. but incase you want some glossy/reflections on your model follow the following

you'll need to give your plastic model some color, if you havent done that, select all your polys you want to be the color you want, then hit "q" (lower case) and a window will popup (change surface is the window name), and there will be a text field saying "default" change that to anything you want (I chose "red"). now you'll have the option to change the color of your polys. all you gotta do is hit that grey box same line as "color". a color window will popup, choose your color, (i chose green for the sake of liking that color :p, which doesnt explain why i named it red :p)

got that far? good :-)

now we got to move on and add some glossyness and reflectivness to it. by now im assuming you've clicked ok on the surface changing window and staring at your model.

now hit Surface editor, or hit ctrl f. The surface editor should be up and in that window you want to find your surface that you named and its under "Surface name" once selected you'll see the globe change color to the color you've chosen (nice indication you've selected it eh? *nudge nudge*)

now under the basic tab, you can probably set all the following to there extremes so you get an idea of what it will produce after we render in layout.

Specularity = 100%
Glossiness = 100% (note if specularity is 0% glossiness will be greyed out)
reflection = 30% (now i really wouldnt set it to 100%, because it'll reflect everything and you probably wont like it unless your going for somthing like a mirror)

if im not mistaken that should be everything.

btw. this is what is being displayed to me in modeler.
http://accwd.ath.cx/tut/1.jpg

now exit surface editor, and send our objects to layout where we can render in all its gloryness.

once your in layout all your objects should be present. all i needed to do was render in all my lameness and i got some glossy FX,

but theres many more things you can do to get a better looking render. also, in layout your nurb levels may be lower, so go to your objects tab, and in that look for properties>subPatch level.

a window will popup with 2 options 1 will be render, thats the one your concerned about. i usually set mine to 10, but the higher you raise that number the longer the render. and i dont know where the cut off level is where you no longer see any real difference.

theres probably more options i could go into, one being, global illumination. but i hardly know that enough to explain that to you. but if you play around with that im sure you can find results you'll notice. just remember to check the "shading noise reduction" and "radiosity" (i use the monti carlo btw, you'll understand when you select radiosity and look around)

umm, oh yes, anti aliasing, to get rid of the edgies around your objects you can goto your camera tab, and nere the bottom of your options/tools you'll see antialiasing, depending on how long you wanna spend rendering you can select whatever you want. and obviously the more 'extreme' the antialiasing the longer you will be sitting and waiting ;-)...

i hope some if not any of this information has been somewhat helpful

btw, this is my result at a 20 setting for nurbs without any antialiasing.
but i had set global illumination.
http://accwd.ath.cx/tut/2.jpg

this one was done in alot less time and this is without global illumination
http://accwd.ath.cx/tut/3.jpg

anyways have funn

ps. if your asking why' i'd sit here type all this when theres 100's of tuts on the net and some in my fav's. im bored, i need something to waste time lol ;-)

PiNs
02-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Ok guys. All of what you told me, i already know. Maybe i should clear up what i mean. When i say i want that plastic look, i don't just mean by pressing the tab key. If you take a look at this link http://www.3dluvr.com/marcosss/morearni/ which i'm sure you've probably seen, thats what i mean. I'm not looking to get that exact result, because the Arnold engine is very cool. But thats sort of the effect i want, how everything looks like it was molded from plastic. Hope you understand me.

mage111
02-22-2003, 08:00 AM
your probably wanting to do something more along the lines of surfaces and ****

everything (the jpgs) look to be colored in the program, ... uhh i guess work with your lighting too... *shrugs* i'd like to know myself, but thats the best i can offer

sorry my info wasnt of any use. didnt know exactly what you were after i guess

Suricate
02-22-2003, 08:59 AM
I don't know whether it helps :shrug: , but have you taken a look at this one ?

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/rendering/globalillumination_skydome/globalillumination_skydome.html

SplineGod
02-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Globial illumination (radiosity) rendering.

PiNs
02-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks SO MUCH for that link Suricate. :airguitar Thats exactly what i wanted. Can't believe i missed that. And Mage111, its not that your info wasn't useful, i just already knew that technique. ;)

mage111
02-22-2003, 08:05 PM
;-)
no worries, i took a look at that tutorial suricate posted. its a win win situation ;-)

thanks suricate

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.