PDA

View Full Version : Critique and tips pls

Gloor
01-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I've just finished the last DVD from Gnomanworkshop and I would like to ask you for some tips or critique. The dvd is a bit tricky as you have to most of the stuff alone so it doesn't really do it "for you" so that is the main reason why I am here asking you guys. It was really my first scene especially with IK controllers so let me know how did I go. Give me the full opinion as I want to learn. No need to be nice :) Thx

the link: www.cmus.cz/lobo/blast5.avi

Gloor
01-25-2007, 09:38 AM
nothing to comment on? :(

F3D
01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
first of, good job! :)
however..

you need to rethink your timing, alot.
now sure, I'm not gonna give you the whole "whats the reason for the ball to be there, what's its relationship to the robot"-crap. but either you rework the ball completly, or remove it! :O
no but, the biggest crit is by far, the timing. after that, you can consider the following:

you mentioned first time working with ik controllers, dearly noticed. it's all looking very IK right now. I tend to keep my rigs simple, and keying simple. therefore, anything thats not pinned down, is FK!

your poses are kinda dull, and the transitions between them feel like simple interpolations between the keyframes.

a quick idea for the poses or something:
when he tries to "catch" the ball or whatever, he just takes a step forward, and barely tries to go for the ball with his arm.
instead (but this is gonna differ too much from the rest of the animation), you should put a lot of weight down for an anticipation, arms back, then make a quick jump thowards the ball and have him reach for the ball as it quickly escapes!

but I don't think you should work with this scene any more to be honest.
instead, you should think of something totally new, and go for that. and when you're done with that, go on to something new again. you seem to be at an ealry stage of your animation career and I dont think you should grind one scene for too long, instead jump around a bit, try different stuff.

it's great that you've got the robot moving around though, thats a good skill to begin with :P instead of just having stuff in-place :)

Gloor
01-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try to do some adjustments and then will post new version. If it improves great if not then I will move on as you say. Thank you for being honest - I appreciate that.

Gloor
01-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Just out of interest Flow3d, could you comment this new blast pls? Could you tell me where is it better and why is it better than the first one. I would really appreciate it. Thx

www.cmus.cz/lobo/newblast.avi

F3D
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
first of, I think you nailed the part where he reaches for the ball...well, I mean, you nailed his chest reacting to the motion and the placement of the weight, just a tad improvment could be to have him open up his hand just as he puts his weight down, right now he does that, to some extent, but then he opens it a bit more after that..

you've got a ton better timing now, feels like its going about the correct speed.

your poses a bit too late.
say when the ball first appears, it takes him quite some time before reacting to it.
aswell as when it disapears, he doesnt follow it as its going up.
and you should add some more anticipation (simply put, reverse movement..the other direction of where he is actually supposed to be heading), you could have some of it before the ball flies away, like before the ball flies up, the robot also puts his weight down and then "pops up" and stretches upwards, following the ball, also with his sight (just the pose you've got thowards the end!)

as for the ball, its constant squashing and stretching feels misplaced and redundant.
you're squashing it in Y (if you've got a Y-up world) but its moving i X/Z..the point with the ball is to squash it in the opposite direction of where its gonna go..
and the cartoonish squashing and stretching of the ball doesn't quite fit with the "semi-realistic" (lack of better word..) animations of the robot. but never mind that!!

what will you think of next :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.