PDA

View Full Version : aura deal questions

Rabid pitbull
02-22-2003, 02:56 AM
ok let me say that i have been struggling with some lackluster photo imaging apps for a long time now. mainly using photoshop le version 5. :thumbsdow

my questions about aura are simple can it do all that photoshop would need to do when regaurding LW? obviosly it is much more in many ways, i have never used aura or seen it in action. this whole LW deal is making me really think!:surprised

i am under the impression that the current version is also able to use the hub, so does this mean that images updated in aura will automagically update like a model to layout? that would be big plus!

finally regarding the painting tools are they more in line with say painter? from the description of the tools at newtek it seems they are more painterly than photoshops (remember i am used to version 5...).

thanks for the opinions here, not meant to be a photoshop versus aura thread either, so don't go there!:annoyed:

alaklij
02-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Yes, the paint tools are very much like Painter, if not better IMO.
Download the demo, I found I loved it after using the demo.

Although B&H Photo is where I ordered Aura 2.0 Commerical version, they sent me an eductional version. Not what I wanted, just a warning to Avoid B&H Photo until they update there stock.
Sorry, just unhappy.

Also, I plan to use Aura to paint sequences of image maps, creating animatable textures.

Rabid pitbull
02-22-2003, 03:17 AM
wow thanks for the feedback so fast! as good if not better than painter tools sounds very impressive! i really hate downloading demo's though... 56ker here:hmm:

ok is there a tool like the stamp tool in photoshop this is one i really like to use. so i thought i would ask about it specifically.

sounding better and better...

how long is this deal gonna be good for? anyone know? Proton?

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 03:44 AM
In Aura cloning is called "Pantos".
IMO theres a lot of things Aura does better than Photoshop.

It mainly for video painting but it can do a lot of great stuff.

Download the demo you wont be sorry.

By the way $295 is an excellent price.

alaklij
02-22-2003, 04:03 AM
yeah there's a tool like clone. Offset clone I think it's called.
Oh yeah and the text tool is not like any other I've ever used.

If your good with Lightwave, the transition to Aura will be smooth at the worst. If not only because of the interface design.

alaklij
02-22-2003, 04:05 AM
I tell ya. This program rocks! I've been playing with the gradient tool, and it is the coolest.

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 07:24 AM
I hope you guys dont mind if I jump on here with a few questions too.

I just saw the deal for $295 so I decided to download the demo.

1. Does it work with pressure sensitivity from my Wacom? I didn't really seem to notice any difference.

2. Does it require a Dongle? If so, can it be keyed to my LW dongle?

3. Any idea how long this deal is going? One of my deciding factors on this may come from the Terrence Walker DVD's I just ordered. I'm quite interested in seeing how he uses it.

4. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

CIM
02-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Aura is very nice. :buttrock:

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by gruvsyco
I hope you guys dont mind if I jump on here with a few questions too.

I just saw the deal for $295 so I decided to download the demo.

1. Does it work with pressure sensitivity from my Wacom? I didn't really seem to notice any difference.

2. Does it require a Dongle? If so, can it be keyed to my LW dongle?

3. Any idea how long this deal is going? One of my deciding factors on this may come from the Terrence Walker DVD's I just ordered. I'm quite interested in seeing how he uses it.

4. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

1.Yes.
2.Yes,yes.
3.Don't know.
4.Fire away.

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Wgreenlee:

Can ya help a brutha out with some tips on getting the tablet to work? Is there something I need to turn on? Do I need to make a config specifically for Aura?

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 07:48 AM
CIM, I didn't recognize you.

Here's another question. How are you guys using Aura? It seems a little difficult to find much info around the web on it. Even Newtek's forums (old and new) didn't seem to have a whole lot of info.

alaklij
02-22-2003, 08:09 AM
I'll be making a tutorial or two on using Aura and Lightwave together soon. Well... hopefully soon.

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by alaklij
I'll be making a tutorial or two on using Aura and Lightwave together soon. Well... hopefully soon.

That'd be cool.
I for one am having problems....:thumbsup:

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Wgreenlee:

Can ya help a brutha out with some tips on getting the tablet to work? Is there something I need to turn on? Do I need to make a config specifically for Aura?

Oh shit!
I'm so used to useing the adjustments in Aura through the panels I havent even thought about the pen adjustments.

Give me a coule of days on that....
I think I may of missed something there gruvsyco.......

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 08:52 AM
OK, I figured out the pressure sensitivity a little. There are little buttons on the panels for each brush that let you set up pressure sensitivity (they all deafult to C)

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 08:59 AM
All I know Aura loves the pen.
I have the cheapest wacom and it just like paper and pencil.
Plus you dont have them silly cross hairs like in Photoshop.

Labuzz
02-22-2003, 11:20 AM
There's no one information about this offer on the Newtek-Europe web site ( no more at apacabar)....

Jaspar
02-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I was having that trouble, so I e-mailed them, here's the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in NewTek products.
We have indeed the same special offer in Europe available at 196 GBP +
VAT
(295 Euro + VAT).

Until end of March 2003 we also have a Video Toaster special offer for
LightWave users.
Video Toaster [2] special LightWave users is delivered with the
following
softwares (Toaster Edit, Aura 2.5, Toaster CG, Real-Time effects...)
and is
available for 1299 GBP + VAT only (1995 Euro + VAT).
It contains Aura already.

Please feel free to contact me for any further information.

Thanks in advance and best regards
----
Audrey Chambeaud
Sales Representative
UK, South and East Europe

mailto: audrey@newtek-europe.com

I'd check with your local reseller, that's what I was advised.

Rabid pitbull
02-22-2003, 03:58 PM
thanks everyone for the replys here. seems i need to put some $$$ together to get in on this deal! sounds like a really awesome tool.:buttrock:

Arte
02-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Rabid pitbull
ok let me say that i have been struggling with some lackluster photo imaging apps for a long time now. mainly using photoshop le version 5. :thumbsdow

my questions about aura are simple can it do all that photoshop would need to do when regaurding LW? obviosly it is much more in many ways, i have never used aura or seen it in action. this whole LW deal is making me really think!:surprised

i am under the impression that the current version is also able to use the hub, so does this mean that images updated in aura will automagically update like a model to layout? that would be big plus!

finally regarding the painting tools are they more in line with say painter? from the description of the tools at newtek it seems they are more painterly than photoshops (remember i am used to version 5...).

thanks for the opinions here, not meant to be a photoshop versus aura thread either, so don't go there!:annoyed:

Get the Toaster deal if you can. The Toaster is awesome!

Audrey is really nice, she processed my latest order, I can guarantee you first class service from experience her.

As for Aura doing everything Photoshop can in terms of LW? Aura is the (iirc) old Amiga broadcast TV Paint, but now on steroids. (ever use it?) If not, Tv paint was a broadcast video paint program on the Amiga and almost all of its tools were geared for that and that alone. That becomes very obvious when you use Aura as it too is geared towards Tv painting and animation. Photoshop on the other hand is an image processor and lacks one hell of a lot of paint tools you would expect in a paint program.

Also it is not in line with anything that comes from the PC. It's an Amiga paint program through and through, only Photogenics is closely related. Painter is a different beast, the only thing it has in common with Photoshop is their common Dpaint history.

Here's a quick run down on some of Aura's Paint features.

Aura uses the Amiga school of allowing painting with tools. That feature alone makes it very hard to match. This applies to one and all tools including flood fill. It also follows Photogenics left mouse applies, right mouse removes paint trick. If you are not from an Amiga background that can be very very hard to adjust to.

Aura uses all of Brilliance and Dpaint's hotkeys, whereas Photoshop has deviated on some functions that could be hard to relearn for a user who uses say the [] keys to resize pens whereas the Amiga uses + -. It's like Lw and other programs in reference to keys.

Aura has Dpaint brush handling. Unlike photoshop where you need to go through hoops to paint down an image repeatedly, in Aura you select an aspect of an image with one of the brush selection modes and bam, you see the brush in real time in front of you and can paint with it, as above with the paint tools. You can make anything using this technique. Photoshop has nothing like it.

Aura has fairly good stencil tools(Corel Knockout is a very old concept), the best I have seen on a PC, that makes it very good for cleaning up masks.

It also comes with an absolutely fantastic background selection tool that is way out of Photoshop's league, It's basically a broadcast cross keyer.
It also does luma and chroma keying but the cross keyer has to be seen to be believed (The toaster's is even better btw) (Photoshops is good too but not that good)

It's flood fill is thousands of times faster than Photoshop to set up and far more accurate. As a real paint program it can switch from plain fill to
gradient and most importantly to *paint modes* in one step without selections... However, it cannot conform gradients.

When it comes to selections, Photoshop is only just the winner because Newtek have not allowed us to easily save selections but rely on the old school alpha layers. Aura's spline selection for instance blows Photoshop out of the water, it is real time and works exactly like LW's.

Aura is also killer for making animated textures. It can apply paint strokes over a selection of frames. Can be very handy.

Layering in Photoshop is faster and easier btw no brainer on this one.

Aura can read and export PSD with layers if that is important to you. It cannot deal with CMYK though.

Basically it really depends on what you want to do and your wokflow. Photoshop can be very fast at some things and a dog for others. The same stands for Aura.

The thing is, Aura is way ahead of Photoshop in paint features and is closer to being the ultimate all round painter on the market than anything I have ever used. If it had all of Brilliance's tools and a few more from Photoshop, I would never even look at another program. I am very happy with it and use it daily for what it's good for.

Hope this helps you make a choice.

X

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Back to one of my earlier questions, How are you guys using Aura? Compositing, Painting Textures, Stand-alone 2D art, FX? I would just kind of like to hear from some of its users. Links to stuff you've done with it would be even cooler.

wgreenlee1
02-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Arte
Get the Toaster deal if you can. The Toaster is awesome!

Audrey is really nice, she processed my latest order, I can guarantee you first class service from experience her.

As for Aura doing everything Photoshop can in terms of LW? Aura is the (iirc) old Amiga broadcast TV Paint, but now on steroids. (ever use it?) If not, Tv paint was a broadcast video paint program on the Amiga and almost all of its tools were geared for that and that alone. That becomes very obvious when you use Aura as it too is geared towards Tv painting and animation. Photoshop on the other hand is an image processor and lacks one hell of a lot of paint tools you would expect in a paint program.

X

Plus its really fast!

I can animate something in Lightwave in frames and it can be anything,Ive done a two thousand frame before.
Load it into Aura and it loads really fast on my clunky old 800mhz Athlon then keyframe effects you name almost any filter can be animated and then it goes about that fast also.
The only way to see its power is to get the demo.

Fast I'm telling you,fast!

Arte
02-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Back to one of my earlier questions, How are you guys using Aura? Compositing, Painting Textures, Stand-alone 2D art, FX? I would just kind of like to hear from some of its users. Links to stuff you've done with it would be even cooler.

All of the above.

I have recently finished using it for a tea commercial. It's not been aired yet so I can't post it:) It was used extensively in unison with digital fusion. (they complement each other)

Among other things, I had a terrible pack shot zoom (bad rushes) so I used Aura to zoom a still of packets and a full tea cup. I then painted a line with the warp brush over the tea. I then used Aura's apply to multiple frames to make a psuedo ripple/reflection in the cup as the shot zooms out. Random noise was then applied to a separate layer with 3% opacity to recreate the motion I lost using a still. 100% Aura shot.

X

leigh
02-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Just thought I'd add my opinion --> Aura rocks :xtreme:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.