PDA

View Full Version : anti-static wrist strap

mucksmear
02-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Hello,

when using an anti-static wrist strap, where does one typically clip the alligator clip to?

If the computer that is being worked on is un-plugged and sitting on the workbench, then it is not grounded and neither is it's psu correct?

thanks
-E

Sieb
02-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Usuall the PSU or just the chassis.. Im one of those that doesn't use them. Anymore now, the kind of charged shock you can put off doesn't affect most new parts (still a good practice though) Antistatic mats help too.. :)

Rabid pitbull
02-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mucksmear
Hello,

when using an anti-static wrist strap, where does one typically clip the alligator clip to?

If the computer that is being worked on is un-plugged and sitting on the workbench, then it is not grounded and neither is it's psu correct?

thanks
-E

they should come with the clip. and yes if unplugged then your not grounded, but that strap is a giant resister, so it is better than not... but best is to have the computer plugged in but poer supply turned off! and anyone who thinks current electronics are immune to static dammage is well.. wrong.:rolleyes: it only takes one damaged device to make a believer out of you. fact is that you would never really know what killed it, but for $6.00 you can rule out static discharge. very cheap insurance.

mucksmear
02-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok, thanks.

-E

mage111
02-23-2003, 03:49 AM
i forget how one place did it. i went to one business one day, and basically the wrist band was put inside the electrical outlet... but they only had the 'ground' prong on it the rest had been removed.

it was definitely homemade. 2-5$ worth of material i figure, not too hard and if you cant order anything online or theres none in the town/city you live in, its a decent alternitive...

just make sure you dont keep all the prongs when you plug it in. that could be bad.

not to mention my memory could be false and i wasnt plugged into the outlet lol.

i was high that day, can you blame me?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.