PDA

View Full Version : no hope for FG on volumetric fur?

techmage
01-24-2007, 01:59 AM
When you put FG on volumetric fur it doesn't seem to work right. I think the picture below explains it fairly well. If you turn FG on with volumetric fur the volumtric fur seems to just absorb all the light and turn all white. I can't find any combination of settings to get around this, does anyone know of any? Or is volumetric fur just not supposed to be used with FG at all?

stussy
03-11-2007, 05:14 PM
hi rygoody,
I can tell you. I am having the same f.. problem here. Since one week I am trying to figure out how I can use fur with mental ray, in an efficient way. Volume fur is much faster than hair primitives. OK. So I have to use volume fur instead. When I turn of cast and receive FG in the mental ray setting of the FurFeedback I always get a grayish shadow box around my fur. I guess it represents the bounding box of the geometry I applied the fur to. It seems that mental ray is not able to calculate the shadows in a proper way. It does not matter if I use raytrace or depth map shadows. I always get this ghost like shadow box around the fur on the plane. The shadow box always appears. When I turn on FG in the fur settings the shadow box is gone but the fur is totally bright :( It does not help to apply a texture to the fur and a gamma correct node. The fur is always over bright.
And the fur appears inverted in the alpha channel as well! Why is that?

cheers

mindy

MaNdRaK18
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I got solid cube instead of fur, trying to use ctrl_fur with volume method fur rendering.
Furthermore, tried to use mia_material for fur ( obviously with hair primitive fur method ), and it seemed fast without plugin' it into shadow slot. And when I plugged it, just rendertime increased, without obvious difference in result.
Anyway, enough bitchin': does anyone know the way to get render time info from one object and apply it to another?
Can sampler info be set up for doin' it? I'd like to cheat lighter fur color where it's perpendicular to camera.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.