PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Prototyping and Lightwave

ASCIISkull
02-22-2003, 01:05 AM
What is the best way to go about creating LW models for use with rapid prototyping?

I have been asked to build a few buildings in 3d for use as concept sculptures for a model train set. The models are based on historical photos which have no blueprints available, but since precision isn't the top priority, the task wasn't very difficult.

There will be two versions of the model- one detailed one for the package design and the painting reference, and a simpler one to base the mold on.

So, how do I prepare the 3d model for prototyping? I know it probably has to be converted to a cad format, but I'm certain that there are certain types of geometry and so forth that work best. Is there any type of geometry that cannot be used?

Also, does anyone know the best places to go for a quote? My client is even newer to this than I am, and besides getting me the reference photos(and paying) is of little assistance.

SplineGod
02-22-2003, 02:23 AM
viewpoint has a utility to convert Lightwave objects to STL (stereo lithography) format.

Garrick Quinone
02-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi ASCIISkull,
I believe Gentle Giant studios can help you, their in CA. www.gentlegiantstudios.com (818)504-3554 or Cyber fx (818) 246-2911 www.Cyberfx.com

Aloha,

Garrick Quinones
Sculptor/3D Lightwaver
www.gqstudio.com
NYC

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.