PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get there XSI 2.0??

y2mii
01-01-2002, 07:01 PM
Anybody get there copyXSI 2.0??

And also what do u think of it so far?

PenGuin
01-01-2002, 09:46 PM
I dont have it yet, and I just can't wait to get my hands on that beautyfull piece of software :)

edmundw
01-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on it.... Still waiting... Everyone's waiting I assume... =)

john
01-10-2002, 08:45 AM
Received it three days ago but still unable to use it because of this new licensing fiasco. unfortunately there are a lot of people having the same problem. Such a pity.

john
01-13-2002, 07:37 AM
still no license....hmmmmm!!

john
01-16-2002, 04:32 PM
still waiting...has antone here actually received their license for v2 yet?

Null_
01-17-2002, 06:18 AM
...Haven't even recived the software yet:mad:

iung
01-17-2002, 08:26 AM
I have a beta, XSi 2 is very cool indeed. Unfortunately my license will terminate this month :(
The licensing process realy sucks (CPM and everything) BTW, I was wondering if, in the commercial package, you'd have to use the dongle on the seriaport, with the infamous 25/9 adapter, or if Avid provided another dongle, or the adapter itself??

john
01-17-2002, 12:44 PM
still waiting...Softimage have really made a mess of the new licensing for XSI v2. Is anyone fully aware of any reason why they have changed the licensing system?

Anyway I will continue to wait patiently, bolstered only by the knowledge that all good things come to those who wait...and wait...and wait...and wait!!

And yes, iung, my dongle is now attached to the serial port via a wonky 25/9 adapter supplied by Softimage with the XSI v2 software package.

iung
01-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info, John. That's just a few inches at the back of your computer - you're lucky if it does not mess with the electric wires behind your desk.
I can't figure out why they didnt take a USB key, manufactured also by Rainbow. Perhaps because the serial dongle keeps a log of the system time (or has a clock itself?), and the other not...

EdHarriss
01-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by john
....Is anyone fully aware of any reason why they have changed the licensing system? ....

They changed it to prevent it from being pirated. And from what I hear.... so far it's worked)

core
01-17-2002, 06:41 PM
But for how long? See the history and you see that all soft will be cracked.
The only disadvantaged are the real users their wait so long for her real licenses.
And when we think about A|W strat. (free Maya) is this really good for Softimage that he break their user base from his own down.

Sorry for my bad english!!!
Christian

EdHarriss
01-17-2002, 11:56 PM
How long? Who knows how long. But it's worked so far. Normally I hear the pirates get copies of the software before the paying users do. Not this time...

As far as Free Maya goes. I'm betting Soft does something very similar with the XSI 2.0 demo. (They’d have to, in order to compete with AW) To make the current demo work like the Maya one all they have to do is enable saving of encrypted scenes and watermarked images. Everything else is there. So, I don't see how hard that could be. But then again, I'm no programmer. It could be a lot harder than it sounds.

Regardless of what happens, the next two or three years are going to be very interesting.....

macoy
01-18-2002, 02:04 AM
Student lisence is 500 pounds a year!!! How can we poor students afford that??? We're NOT making money out of it!!!

john
01-18-2002, 06:29 AM
back in the days when I was a struggling student we had to pay £1000 (per year)+ 17.5% VAT, plus shipping, plus £250 for something else that escapes me now.....it seemed like a good way to save me from student alcoholics anonymous, no money, no booze!!

I'm still waiting for my license BUT if it means that software cannot be pirated I believe it should be worth the wait. God I'm such a diplomat!!

Vic3k
01-24-2002, 02:26 AM
this is really wrong, they shorten the number of users who actually know softimage, it's not that high at the moment anyway.

i myself am student. in next month our school is getting 2.0 for all stations. but what is it good for me when i have 2.0 in school and 1.5 at home? i can't work at home then as save the time of coming to school in the boring environment.
i have pirated 1.5, like who doesn't...are those ppl that sell their creative stuff with it? no most of those ppl who have pirated versions are using the program to for learning...the more ppl learn the more softimage gains in popularity and the more potentual custumers it will have later. hell ya i would buy 2.0 if i had money, but being student leaves me with no change in my pocket. i'm paying $9000ca for this year and $14000ca for the next. do i look rich???????
all they've done is disappointed some students in my school coz we all the 2.0 except none of us has a crack for it. plus half of those students are now going for maya4 coz it's cracked and they can use it at home saving them lots of time not coming to school every second.

but i know a good piece of software when i see one, f.... maya and the rest :)
i will just wait a month or 2 more till it eventually be crack. and trust me, it will. there is no program that can't be cracked and never be one. it just takes time sometimes.

Null_
01-24-2002, 12:28 PM
So would it be okay for me to steal your car if I only intend to learn how to drive, not to sell it? I’m not trying to get the whole “pirating software thread” going, I’m just so sick and tired of all complains and grumbling on the subject.

Yes, avid is charging quite some $$$ for XSI (including the student version). If you don’t think it’s worth it: don’t spend your money on it. Get one of the cheaper or FREE packages available on the market instead. Just don't come here talking about how it's ok for you the STEAL something just cause you know "a good piece of software when you see one" but can't afford to pay for it.

Personally I couldn’t care less whether you use pirated software or not. Keep this information for yourself and be glad you didn’t have to pay $$$ for it. Why piss everybody off by telling you have a cracked version?!?!

grendizer
01-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Null_ :mad:

Knowledge should be free!! :mad: by learning Maya we're kind of doing a favor to Maya, increasing their user base! That's why they understood Maya should be free for learning!
Think of this : when you learn how to drive, you don't BUY nor STEAL a car, you just use the car of your driving license school! :D

So I hope Softimage and Avid will do the same thing :cool:

Vic3k
01-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Null, you really not getting it.
i probably know who's hiding behind the nickname.
a well astablished, fairly wealthy person without complians with a lil big of typical american greed.
if i';m wrong then shoot me

dmonk
01-24-2002, 05:51 PM
i go to rutgers in new jersey and it took us forever to get our license even so that was a big issue in itself.

anyway the whole pirate i sympathize if you a brokea** college student and you can't afford gas. when the oppurtunity comes to get the software for free what can you do? I'm lucky that I have access to my lab at school but if i didn't I'd sh*t out of luck because i find to get a good handle on the software you need to spend alot of time on it. Sure when i get good enough to get a job where i can afford the program i would buy it. But if no students can afford it, no students learn it, no one gets a job that uses it, no one buys it.

avid is going do harm to itself if it makes it too expensive for students.

Vic3k
01-24-2002, 07:50 PM
on top of that, ok yah maybe if it would cost 200-300$ca i could scrap the money, maybe, but then a license for just a year??? it hsould be unlimited.and have all features but premited to produce any money out of it.

anyway this is pointless coz any student here would say pirated is good for learning and any rich established developer or artist will always say it's wrong coz they forget about their student years since it was long tiem ago

Koskinen
01-25-2002, 01:29 PM
If you don't make money with a "crack" version of any softwares, I think that's ok! But if you make money, that's bad!!!

I can't afford a 10,000$ software to work at home!!! So there's
some "special edition" around...But it all depends of what you do with it!!!

Take care!!!

------------------------------
Koski
3D Animator / XSI user

john
01-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Just in case anyone is still interested...I am still waiting for my XSI v2.0 license. I have been waiting since 9th Jan...I have no idea what aoftimage are playing at now....not even my reseller and their support team seem able to do anything!!

Any Suggestions?

MadS
01-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Just in case anyone is still interested...I am still waiting for my XSI v2.0 license. I have been waiting since 9th Jan...I have no idea what aoftimage are playing at now....not even my reseller and their support team seem able to do anything!!

Any Suggestions?

Suicide? :rolleyes:

Null_
01-28-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Vic3k
Null, you really not getting it.
i probably know who's hiding behind the nickname.
a well astablished, fairly wealthy person without complians with a lil big of typical american greed.
if i';m wrong then shoot me

I guess I’ll just have to shot you then. :D

meloncully
01-29-2002, 01:48 AM
Does it really matter who pirates the software and who buys it? If the person doesn't make profit from it and doesn't go out selling the cd to someone then i don't really think it is too bad of a thing, it may not be right but you aren't getting any money from it. And for all we know null you could have pirated software on your computer. You could just be a big hipocrit. We all can be so just drop the whole arguing thing and just talk friendly and put up good posts.

And also if i were you john i would be bithin' and complaining to softimage for my license damnit. You have been waiting a long time.

________
meloncully

john
01-29-2002, 09:32 PM
A good point well made meloncully.

As for my license for xsi v2.0 I am still waiting and it seems that no amount of emails, phonecalls or doorstepping is going to get me a license any faster.

Although my company at present uses only two seats of XSI Advanced there would have been massive potential for growth in the next 6 months as shelved projects have come on stream. Management are now no longer interested in dealing with Softimage as they are becoming increasingly unhelpful in our search for a license.

It seems such a pity that as a Softimage user for some years I have seen their customer services (and the attitude of their resellers) go from bad to worse.

Why do they see fit to treat smaller users of their software with such contempt? Has anyone come accross the same problems in their time with Softimage? I would love to know how you managed to turn the tides in your own favour.......21 days waiting for a license and still no sign of it!!! sniffle sniffle....

jordibares
01-29-2002, 10:18 PM
I don't know what is happening with this licensing issue... anyway, sure the guys at Montreal are working hard to fix it as soon as possible.

I would be patience once again, and this time, is v2.0.1who is waiting!!!

jordibares

PS. I am using v2.0.1 it and it simply ROCKS!!! it is worth the wait, promise.

Null_
01-30-2002, 03:27 PM

It seems such a pity that as a Softimage user for some years I have seen their customer services (and the attitude of their resellers) go from bad to worse.

Why do they see fit to treat smaller users of their software with such contempt? Has anyone come accross the same problems in their time with Softimage? I would love to know how you managed to turn the tides in your own favour.......21 days waiting for a license and still no sign of it!!! sniffle sniffle....

I too have been waiting for quite some time for my license. I’ve received the software, the manuals, the dongel, but not the actual license. I’m wondering if there is anything regarding the licensing issue that could possible made it any worse…

Although my overall experience with Avid/Softimage is a matter of fact very good, both when it comes to my “local Avid office” and the one in the states/Canada. Don’t know if this is an exception though…

meloncully
01-31-2002, 01:36 AM
i think softimage needs to get their act together or..........................dum dumm dummmmmmmmm

and they should treat every customer like they are a big company.

________
meloncully

jordibares
01-31-2002, 02:46 PM
Sorry man, i don't understand the "dum dum dumm" thing... :-P I am spanish and coloquial / slang / jokes sometimes becomes complicated to understand.

About Softimage and the clients, they have been always the good guys.

jordibares

PS. Hope that is not going to change!!!

meloncully
02-01-2002, 01:02 AM
well, the only thing it means is softimage will be DOOMED! if they don't get their act together

________
meloncully

rendermonkey23
02-01-2002, 10:08 AM
:p :p :p

Koskinen
02-05-2002, 09:11 PM
The guy at Softimage told me that it could take 72 hours (7-8 days) to get the licenses...or more!!!

I can't wait to "play" with it...

NowInc
02-05-2002, 09:54 PM
Its a shame, I have been talking to a lot of colleagues (sp?) of mine and they have been telling me that their production houses are washing their hands with XSI after this whole fiasco. I personally love XSI (being a user of most 3D applications I think of myself as "adequate enough" to judge its quality) for its performance. It has a top notch renderer (duh) and the new toys included in 2.0 really pushed it above the mark compaired to most other 3D packages. Ironically enough it was their own attempts to stop piracy that is causing them to lose buisness.

Lets hope they get the kinks out of this system soon, most "suits" dont like waiting a month+ to get a licence.

Koskinen
02-06-2002, 04:41 AM
After all it didn't take to much time!!! Just got our new licenses...about 5 days of waiting.

Maybe we are jjust lucky.

poulette
02-14-2002, 09:56 AM
ok with all that do you still need the licence or the program? Because I have it, and it is working very well! Let me know!

Take care! :)

Tangie

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.