PDA

View Full Version : Add Edge, Knife Tools, etc... become very slow to make.

leon234
01-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Hello, I'm new on XSI 5.11 and i have a big problem of performance with this software. All went well in the beginning but more the model becomes complex and more the modelling like "Add Edge", "Knife Tools" etc, become very slow to make. I would like to know if this problem was known and if is there a tip to solve it?

here is a video (http://perso.orange.fr/tux-republica//img/ms406/xsi_problem.swf) of my problem.

thank you!

Bullit
01-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Everything that is done in XSI goes to History; you can see it "inside" object in Explorer. You have to freeze it to clean History.

leon234
01-24-2007, 01:58 AM
ok, I found how to freeze the history and the modelling is now a little more faster than before. Thank you for your help!

leon234
01-24-2007, 02:28 AM
I cleaned the Clusters history and it is even more faster. It is perfect! :)

WillBellJr
01-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Yes, XSI is very special when it comes to this feature - most of your operations are recorded into a stack - nice especially when working off objects created from curves; you can go back, edit the original curves and have your whole object change from its earlier steps...

Of course over time, that stack builds up and your object, similar to say a vector drawing program, is >built up< from all of those operations on that stack.

So over the course of time where you're happy with the progress of your model, and you don't feel you need to modify the earlier steps, freeze your stack (Freeze M) and this will melt down all those operations.

Of course if you're only used to using apps without operation stacks (just undo) you can click the Immed button to turn off the stack altogether.

-Will

leon234
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I found how to freeze History and now modeling is more faster.

thank you it is perfect!

Nakary
01-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Indeed the Immed buttons works great for when you are modeling and you are sure you are not going to need to undo to often. Just keep in mind to turn it off if you are to create primitives which you will need to edit later, cause with immed pressed all the properties options for primiteves get frozen also.:)

billrobertson42
01-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Should you use "Freeze" or "Freeze M" ?

janimatic
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
"freeze" freezes everything including envelopes and all construction modes, that you prabably don't want to freeze...
Use freezeM (it only freeze modeling construction mode) to speed up modeling, and keep operators unfrozen for animation, deformers etc....

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.