PDA

View Full Version : Opening A Studio

DaveSantosA
02-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Ok Every one I'm a Possible Investor and I'm wanting to Open a Game Studio! What are the Things I need and Who do I need to contact to get a game Title started! Any Suggestions?

Gibbz
02-22-2003, 12:02 AM
as i what people do you need for a game dev team?
-sound artist
-2d art/texture artist/skinners
-3d artsts/animators/uvw mappers
-coders

modeling-man
02-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Well, for starters I hope you have a bunch of capitol hanging around to start one. Games are not something you can just jump into. They take a lot of money...but if that's not a problem....you've definitely come to the right place for modelers/textures/animators and artists in general. If you are strapped on cash though, sometimes a good way to see if the games industry is something you want to jump into is to get a mod team for a game like Unreal or Quake III and offer a little bit of money to those involved...see how it fairs over the web...then at least if you decide its not your ball of wax you aren't totally in the hole.

If you have the money and a couple developers I'll jump on board.

B

ninja noodle
02-22-2003, 02:46 AM
hey modeling_man, you jumping on the band wagon! i want in too!!! :)

Gibbz
02-22-2003, 05:15 AM
hehe im shure everyone would want in ;)

ninja noodle
02-22-2003, 05:19 AM
hey gibbz... i got here first!!! first come first serve!!! hehe.. (kidding)... :D as long as i get to do the character modelling i'm cool... hehe :p

modeling-man
02-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Dibs on texture artist/concept art!:) hehe and some modeling if they needed it.
Who's the animator:P?
B

ninja noodle
02-22-2003, 05:53 AM
can't animate to save my life.. so that's me out for the animation job... i can make a wicked cup of tea! wow! a girl who can model and make tea! :D

essential list to make a game studio

-sound artist
-coders
-tea maker

ohsama
02-22-2003, 05:54 AM
If you're serious about opening a game studio, then there a few questions you should ask yourself. What platform will you develop for? Playstation2, Xbox, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, PC, etc.

When you have answered that question, I would suggest you research the bestselling titles for that platform over the past few years and try to hire a few of the major players who made those games happen. Art Directors, Game Designers/Directors, Art Leads, Animation Leads, Lead Programmers, etc... You don't have to hire a full team right at the beginning, but make sure you get people with proven leadership and track records in the game industry first and then let them hire on the rest of the people you need. Because they'll have plenty of connections with talented artists and programmers. This is probably not the time to hire anyone without industry experience, because the VERY important step you must take as soon as possible is to create a working prototype of your game and shop it around to publishers. The longer it takes to make it and sell it to a publisher, the thinner you wallet becomes. (If you are already a billionaire, then that's a different story).

Of course, during all of this time, you'll need to have rented office space in a decent area that is sufficient for your needs, and you should be getting hardware and software for the developers to work on. I would also advise against spending money on things you don't really need at this point, such as a company jacuzzi, etc. A lot of startups fall into this trap when they buy stuff at the beginning. Any money you can save at the beginning can prevent the need to layoff employees down the road when things get tight.

These are just SOME of the things you'll need to do to get a game company up and running.

Good luck with things.

ninja noodle
02-22-2003, 06:03 AM
hmmmm..... company jacuzzi........... :drool: that would be cool!!!!!! you could have a pool bar!.... did i tell you i have bar experience!?

---------------------------------------------------
ninja noodle's c.v.

can model
can make tea
have bar experience (on both sides) :D
---------------------------------------------------

DaveSantosA
02-22-2003, 06:13 AM
Gibbz/modeling_man/ohsama
Thanks for your insight ! I'm actually considering on shooting for the new Xbox and my partners and I are willing to invest allot money but we need to make sure on what steps the make. so thanks again for your Ideas and thought, Everything will be taken under consideration!

ycf98
02-22-2003, 06:28 AM
hey dave i gave ya a private msg did you check it ? :D

ycf98
02-22-2003, 06:41 AM
hey dave i gave ya a private msg did you check it ? :D

Asorson
02-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Beware, there are a lot of people running around the internet claiming to be game developers who have never actually worked on a real game. And I'm sure they would love to get their hands on all your money.

chrisdejoya
02-22-2003, 08:18 AM
i'd just seen a similar project go down the drain...there's a lot of legal loopholes that you'll have to go through when starting any business (even if it's "just" videogames). the project closed down because there were a couple of loopholes left that all 3 attorneys of the project manager couldnt shut, so the he closed it three days after it officially opened, just to protect the dev team from complications that might rise in the future.

sucks, made it as a concept artist too out of the hundreds of people who applied and a month of waiting for the letter. oh well...

modeling-man
02-22-2003, 08:22 AM
wow. that's horrible SnowFly...I really think a month is way too long to wait. That's just plain rude...I think sometimes companies don't realize how nerve racking and just plain inconsiderate it is to leave someone hanging like that. Getting a keeping a job is JUST like dating, and for those that say "well we get busy and can't find time to meet" or whatever else the excuse is...if you didn't make time to decide then wait to post the job!
whew...had to vent that...ahhh ok ok back to modeling.
cyas
B

Palm
02-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Get only experienced people with a few published titles in the past in lead positions, or else you’re more or less doomed to fail.

caustic
02-22-2003, 10:05 AM
I agree with palm, definetly get experienced people for leads.
As for junior roles, I think its a really positive step for industry growth when companies take the initiative and hire people based on talent and personality more than just having some experience. If they have all 3 then even better.

One thing most people haven't touched on, we all know you need the following:

-sound artist
-coders

but you also need:
-administration
-management (keep it small lol)
-legal teams
-quality assurance testing
-marketing and PR if you arent using a seperate publisher
-technicians for hardware and getting your coffee lol
-probalby lots Ive missed too

Your going down a very unforgiving path so make sure youve got it all set out before you start anything or you'll come unstuck very quickly.

Even if you have the cash it may be worthwhile talking to possible publishers and liscensees, getting a license is a good way to start as it helps you stay on scope, harder to get things such as feature creep on 'Barbies Picnic Beach Party'. :P

"Dude barbie should have a rocket launcer too...." lol

Good luck on your venture though Dave, hope it all works out.

DFGFX
02-22-2003, 08:39 PM
If this fits.

I can model low-poly guns and texture them.:bounce:

Whirlwind
02-22-2003, 10:56 PM
Just to add to the masses. You also want to consider the other end of the bill. Programs, equipment, and soda. All pivotal devices in starting a business in the game industry.
Pretty much every person you hire is going to need the right programs and equipment to get the job done. From photoshop for texturers; to Maya :) for animators and modelers. A pretty good sum of your money is going to get sunk into these. I won't even get on the subject of how much money soda costs now a days.
Good luck either way,
-D

chrisdejoya
02-22-2003, 11:52 PM
davesantos: may i ask where you and your partners are based? or is this question inappropriate? :D

lol right on caustic, unsung heroes is what they are..working hard in the bg, keeping the whole operation from collapsing just so the bratty artiste's (people like us) can work in peace. i'd been wondering if there was an alternative business model tho...

modeling: haha it IS dating! we could all live with that attitude, employers and employees alike.

so here i am, back to working with people i truly admire but can't pay me a dime..(hint hint)

gh0st
02-23-2003, 12:38 AM
The best advice is to probably 'do your research' before you do anything else. Make sure you understand the whole scope of what you will be doing, how you plan on running it, problems that may arise, etc. The worst thing you can do is jump right into things. You may also want to get your hands wet in development of games etc by maybe minimally sponsering a mod team and seeing how it runs etc. You also need to make sure you have enough capital. Game engine licenses can range from $100,000 +. You also want to make sure you know your position and role in the game dev studio. Will you be leading the Dev Team yourself? It can be a fun job leading a Dev Team but as I have seen first hand often times it gets very very very chaotic and stressful. Make sure your prepared mentally for what lay ahead. Those are just a few tips I can give you. Good luck with your venture.l

- Phil

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.