PDA

View Full Version : enfer

Llynna
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
hey everybody, its been a real long time since i posted anything in here but i think its best for this overly large profect of mine that i started around christmas out of boredom at my parents home.

i must say that it is based on a colorscheme i created a while ago while painting on a hard bluegreyish to hard red picture. while doing that i thought about how nice it would be to paint something in nice warmer green yellowish colors. something a bit more supleme eerie but somehow calm and nice. sounds complicated?

while browsing devart stock pics out of boredom i stumbled over this random pic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/mucha3_by_faestock.jpg

and something clicked and sais: yes! thats the refernece for it and an idea crawled in my head. so i began thumping and doodling and thinking about her and the story.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/thumb.jpg

after managing to have a picture in my mind i went and baught me a 70*35 cm hughe piece of paper and began sketching. since its so hughe the scanning in is a torture and it needed about an evening and its not realy finished by now. the problem is, its too big for my working station at home and the paper didnt liked to be rolled for the 5 hour drive home from my parents house.

here is what i have until now and some color testing.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer3.jpg

as for the background and the tree like object she is sitting i might sketch those in digitally cause well the traditional working circumstances arent the best atm. it is thought to be foggy at the bottom. from the sphere before here will attach strings of an harp like instrument where she is playing the songs for the souls drained and dragged through the tree to be reborn or going into the quiet nothingness of the ether. you might think of her as a moire of the ancient greek mythologie.

well thats all for the moment, i hope i can update soon and i would greatly appreciate critique, considerations and all the other things you might want to tell me.

mim-Armand
01-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey rally nice Britta! really nice style ;) I like see she finished! :D
I suggest a pink dress for she! that may be in harmony with ur bg color test also :D
keep it updated plz, ;)

Squibbit
01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
oh, u gotten to coloring this , nice :)

waiting to see how it turns out

laters

CGriffin
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Your drawing is GORGEOUS! When you color it, though, be careful not to get too smudgy. Keep the texture delicate but crisp, to match your drafting. Have you seen Erin Kelso's work? You should see what she does; it's amazing. Let me find a link for you....

http://bluefooted.deviantart.com/

Hope this helps!

Oziel
01-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Hope to see how the painting turns out, keep the good work :thumbsup:

kary
01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
For some reason get a touch of the catepillar from Alice in Wonderland floating around in my head when I look at this (humanified/sexified, and it could be lack of sleep, but still! ;)).

Lovely rendering in the drawing, and the base of the colour selection seems nice to me. Only thing that clicks for me is that I would expect more perspective distortion on the bottom of the gown. It fits in nicely with your drapery reference, but you're dropping the bottom gather another 6 feet in your piece and I would expect it to look a bit different on the ground. Not sure if you've dropped a quick perspective grid on it, but hopefully that would show what I'm talking about.

Bold choice to have a strong vertical for so much of the composition, but it seems to be working really well. Lovely start Britta :)

Runecaster
01-23-2007, 06:54 PM
wow - this is looking amazing, what a creative streak you have! I really like this and am looking forward to seeing it move forward.

Rebeccak
01-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Heya Llynna,

Looking great so far. :) Will definitely be following your progress!

Kevin-Killjoy
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Ola Llynna, so far very nice. I don't know if it's a stylistic consideration, but the anatomy of the head is quite different in your drawing, i.e. the cheeks are broader and the jaw is weaker, the eyebrows a bit furrowed. This changes the feeling of the piece quite a bit. The original photo is quite melancholy, the figure in your drawing looks more confident.

I don't know if this was your intention, just observing...

-Killjoy

frostblade
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow this is so beautiful.

But when you went to the digital version the texture in a few places got smoothed out and the scan joint is still there :(

I look forward to more updates :)

Llynna
01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
wow, so many replies yet :) i would love to show you an update but atm im at my boyfriends and i dont have my puter here or the drawing and a scanner.... maybe tomorrow i can get some stuff from home.

mim: glad you like it :) her dress will be from silvery white to dark blue at the bottom.

panu: hey pal :) glad to see you around

CGriffin: :) i will try not to loose to much of the texture, we will see how that works out. ive had a look at her stuff and must say there is some great stuff there, gonna need to look on a proper monitor later.

kary: hey kary :) hm caterpillar........ maybe, i thought more of a bit sea creature influenced lady. but hey if you want a caterpillar you get one ;).

thank you for the quick 3d render by the way :) i will see what i can do with the drapery. the thing is that there is about a zero chance to do that in the original drawing cause well you know thats the thing with traditional.

runecaster: thank you :). i do hope i finish it too.

becca: hey becca :) youre watching everything everywhere here eh^^

Kevin-Killjoy: in fact it was a stylistic consideration this was never ment to be a total copy of the reference. i did sketch in the overl frame and then worked without the ref to not let me be overwhelmed by the reference. she has to look a bit more firceful and so on, overall melancholy doesnt suit her character.

frostblade: glad you like it. the color version is only a quick one like 15 minutes or so, ther needs so much work to be done. the scan version has about 10 scanlines ;) that will be a problem later when the sketch is fully done.

NR43
01-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Llynna

looks like a great painting is in the making.
What are your plans for the face? Will there be a mouth?

About the dress... I think it's worth a try to make the big fold going from her knee in the bottom right direction to make a (longer) curve so it ends up lower than it does at the moment. I think about half the length of the part below her knees looks rather flat compared to the bottom and the top part. Just a suggestion ;)

Ego
01-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Beautiful concept Britta! I look forward to your update.

DimitrisK
01-30-2007, 09:08 AM
It looks very promissing. I like very much you color palette.

Llynna
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
ego: hey hon :) thank you for visiting and of course i will keep you updated

nr43:
yes, of course they will be a face ;) the paper couldnt stand anymore erasing and drawing so i will add it indigitally. my flatmate suggested a mask but i dont think that would fit.

that is an idea with the fold. the thing is, she would have real long legs then eh ;). well i will see once i regain the computer today.

DimitrisK: hey thx for the support, check for updates later today if you like :D

Llynna
01-30-2007, 03:48 PM
ok here we go again

did some work on it, color scheme and some perspective. the colors in the bg are NOT final its just a rough gradient. there need to be added some details in there too as birds and a ship.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer4.jpg

kary
01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice. What she is sitting on is going to be an interesting shape -- nice keeping it to the same colour range as the background, it's a strong shape and could be overwhelming pretty easy.

Be careful with the fog along the ground plane, it's very nice along the bottom, but I think it would wind up being a bit noisey / distracting if you go too high with it.

Coming along well :D

Squibbit
01-30-2007, 05:23 PM
still dunno what's goin on , but i can say it looks better :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
01-30-2007, 10:15 PM
very nioce start, love the elegant composition, very promissing :)

Ivy00
01-30-2007, 10:43 PM
nice, I like the art deco look of it

Llynna
02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
hey everybody thx for stepping in and your supprt :)

im having exams next week so there is not sooooooooooo much time left for painting, much less than i would want there to be but i take too much time off of learning for painting but i cant help it.

i did some work on the bottom folds and made them wider to show more gravity. also i began workin more on the overall light and the structure.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer7.jpg

i did a rather quick B/W setup of the scene, now im going to get it into the color version, its not every detail in it but i just want the overal mood to be right at first.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer8.jpg

CABRAMACHO
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
inspirational work,very beautiful....the "model of photo"is you or friend?

TheFirstAngel
02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
i like the moody piece a lot, still think a bit more colored midtones could help the atmosphere, make it softer and as contrast to that and also help depht, a rimlight ( yay i am a big fan of rimlights) would help the piece as well. a hard lightsource in a complementary colorrange from the oposite side of the ainlightsource usually helps nicely to sculpt a scene :)

hope that helps. love your wip. keep on rocking!

Squibbit
02-06-2007, 04:35 PM
good goin

here's some burgers & coke so u don't starve while painting

laters

Llynna
02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
@cabramacho: hey thx. no am sorry the model is a stockmodel over from deviantart called faestock. she kindly provides refs there.

@sacha:

haha, as you now know we sorted the mid tones out ehhe. official update later ;). we will see about the rimlight, there will be these yellow spheres.

@panu: wheeeee.......... great no starvin, thats what im doin here atm.

Llynna
02-06-2007, 09:35 PM
some update for today,

i got a bit bored with the long vertical lines in the dress so i made it a bit more curvey.

what do you think?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer13.jpg

Squibbit
02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
cool but i'd make the lower middle part of the dress a bit less curvey :)

Llynna
02-07-2007, 08:31 PM
maybe a bit panu. we will see. i just started on the shape and the souls wandering through it..... but i seem to not have the level of skill thats necessary for it ;). or maybe it was the lack of sleep. well i will try again now after sleeping and eating maybe something at leasta bit usable comes out of it. hopefully i can show you an update later today.

cheers

Llynna
02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
here we go. another update, i sketched the spirits in and well thats about it, took me longer than i wan to admit.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer16.jpg

Llynna
02-22-2007, 12:06 AM
been quite a while since i posted an update here. i was fairly busy with exams and finishing up another picture. changed quite a lot on it as you might see. introducing another rim light color being golden changed the hair and top and began working on the hair.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Llynna/enfer8-1.jpg

TheFirstAngel
02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
thats some serious progress, great to see you use a richer set of colors now, does the piece very good^^.
i think her face could be a slight bit smaller, and her neck a slight bit longer wich would push her all over elegance even more :)
great progress, details start pop out of the canvas nicely, can't wait to see your next update :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2007, 01:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.