PDA

View Full Version : girl model

newellteapot
01-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi! some critique on this girl study please :)

ManDay
01-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Hello Monica (btw: isn't that supposed to be a girls name? no offense! just over here monica is usually a female name.)

I think overall a nice model, although it isnt mapped and a bit too shiny/spec'lar to have a clear look at it. To the overall body shot:
The proportions do actually fit, though i would suggest to round up, spread out and resize the breasts a bit to give it a more female touch. the hips also, broaden it there.

the feet and hands are nice but the heel seems a bit squared in the side shot. I think the face looks a bit strange, too .... uhm ... streched maybe? dunno: it's hard to tell without a map.

nice work at all even though it would better fit the WIP area ;)

regards, ManDay

newellteapot
01-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your input. Monica is indeed a female name because I am a woman, it's funny you think I'm a man with a feminine name, why you assumed I must be a man?!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I found your comments very useful. I'll do the heel bit and enlarge the hips a bit. Although I think I'll leave her with smaller but more realistic breasts (you would be surprised to know how many heavily padded bras are out there ;)).

I'll also post it with a proper grey clay-like material that brings the details out more, as you suggest.
Vielen danke
Monica (a woman)

fx81
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Monica, are you using any photo reference for the front view or side view. if not then that would be the first thing to do. 3d.sk or fineart.sk is a good place for human anatomy ref. the main proportions of the body is not following the skeletal structure.

as a 3d reference you can check out the 3d model i have in this forum:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=446213

hope that helps:)

newellteapot
01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Mashru!

Thanks for your useful post :)
Beutiful model, by the way. I'll check the skeletal proportions. I know that resource you are mentioning, I'll check it up.
cheers
Monica

ManDay
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey mashru, can you tell at which points you think the body and proportions do not fit? For me it looks okay so far (beside the legs which are to long i guess)

GregOconn
01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey monica,

Seen you lurking round the forums every so often so thought I'd spin you a reply.

The biggest problem I can see in your model is that your proportions are a little out. Reference is usually the best way to go about making sure that your model keeps realistic proportions. Setting up anatomically correct image planes is the first step to getting a more accurate model. Secondly you'll want to learn a bit about the anatomy your actually building, how the muscles flow into each other. Your model doesnt look bad, it just looks out of propotion and a little "3D". I will see if I can come up with some constructive crit for you:

Starting with the head; your jaw line seems to be almost indistinguishable. Your cheek bones are present but the jaw bone, in particular at the back section close to the ear doesnt seem to be there. It all kind of blends into the neck. You seem to have a seam funning down the middle of your head aswell (most obvious on the chin) this sometimes occurs when you are using a duplication to mirror your head and keep symetry. This is a good method but always be sure to go in and fix up the seam. The cheek bones close to the nasal region seem to be pushed very far forward, at least in comparison to the brow and the eyes, this is giving your head a slanted back feel to it. Your ear is tilted forward it looks like it needs to be rotated backwards a little.

It looks like you have a very good start, just need to tweak it around a bit.

I like your hands and feet, especially your feet they have a nice shape to them. your hand looks a little odd around the right hand side of the palm/pinky finger area.

Your body looks like it has been givin a good start. Your proportions are a little off, but also the posture of your character seems a little strange. It almost looks like she is haunching forward over her hips. Have a close look at some side on images.

I hope this helps you a little. It's definately a good start, just needs a little work and a bit of reference material to get you on your way.

- Greg

newellteapot
01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Gregory! thanks for your input, it's all great obeservations. I'm working on it and will post the changes as soon as I'm done :) will drop you a line as I would like to hear your suggetsions at that point, too. It's my first realistic human, so I have quite a lot to learn, but I suppose that with both practice, references and critique I'll get there eventually. Thank you for your help!
Monica

FR33K
01-26-2007, 10:04 PM
sneak into a supermarket , grab playboy magazine they are best templates :P

tryl
01-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi there!

hope you dont mind but I stole your image and messed around with it a bit
I also checked out your site, nice work

first thing that comes to mind is the actual length of her, I put her upside my skinniest and (btw most favoritest) model reference from 3d.sk and a couple tila tequila faces (she has a very short face so i wouldnt worry about your face length in comparsion to hers, its just for example)

what I noticed was your model was verrry stretched in relation to what she should be, the photo reference I'm using is the closest to your model I've got and she's got a long torso, but its still no where near as long as yours
I think I know where you made your mistake though (assuming this is what you did) you've probably smoothed the mesh a few times and now are having to deal with 390439434034 million polygons, which is impossible and will make an hour long task take months

if there is a way to back up to the lower poly version I would definatly start back from that, its easier to texture, work with etc, much less of a headache
*to give you an idea, I like to work with a model no more than 3000 polygons in all and then if it absolutely needs it, add more manually

anyways I know this is just getting started so I'll leave it at that, hope the pictures I attach help some :)
http://www.alisonburkley.com/bodies.jpg

http://www.alisonburkley.com/heads.jpg

newellteapot
01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi alison, thanks for your post!!

yes i have already realised my mistake with proportions. The thing is I made "by eye" to see what I could get, as a first time exercise. Do you by any chance know the book "Drawing on the right side of your brain"? Well, the first exercise is drawing a face, just like that, without any explanation on proportion, canone etc. It is to see where you can go on your own. I basically did the same, with a body. It proved very useful, I learned a lot. I by the way recommend that book, it is really good.
I don't really ever model smoothing and collapsing, I think it's absolutely crazy to do that! I can go back to the low poly any time :) I've been modeling (for a living) for quite a few years now and I always recommend not to mesh smooth and collapse, it makes life hell if you have to make substantial changes.
Anyway, stay in touch and thanks again :) !!

tryl
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I never read the book but I am somewhat familar with it

its very funny the difference between what is real and what we see isnt it :)
cant wait to see what you do with her though

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.