PDA

View Full Version : is mac pro ok?

zukezuko
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
A mac pro is a nice machine, especialy after bootcamp, but the limitations it has on the graphic cards is troublesome, maybe you guys know better.
Otpions:
1st : Nvidia 7300 GT 256MB
2nd : 2 X Nvidia 7300 GT 256MB
3rd : ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
4rth : Quadro FX 4500 512MB

1st choise is ok for xsi i think, but there are better "gaming" cards available on a pc.
2nd, is this supported in xsi?
3rd, great card, lots of ram but is the driver still an issue?
4rth $1649, no way.

i will propably wait for the next gen processors, before i even think of buying it,
but anyways i whould like to know what you guys think of these options.

Helli
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
1st choise is ok for xsi i think, but there are better "gaming" cards available on a pc.
2nd, is this supported in xsi?
3rd, great card, lots of ram but is the driver still an issue?
4rth $1649, no way.

1) not bad but I would wait for the geforce8 series
2) don't think so, i think I read something that SLI is not supported
3) a lot of people say it's not the best choice. Oh and lot of Ram is only needed for gaming (texture Display), for XSI you don't need much Graphic memory.
4) hehe, jey, this one would be nice.

LemonNado
01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
1. is enough. 4. is luxury and I cannot see the value in the price either.
ATI.... I just removed my FireGL in favor of NVidia after having a lot of problems and no support from ATI.
I just bought a 3GHz PowerMac with the NVidia option and it blows my dual Opteron 280 with 7950GT OC into pieces.
Rainer

Francky
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi zukezuko, I too was interested in a mac pro for a while as my next machine, but unfortunetly they never adjusted their prices to the changing market.

You could get a WAY more powerfull machine now from dell or others if you plan to run bootcamp most of the time anyways.

Their Dual dual core Xeon is more expensive that a Dual QUAD core from Dell ?!

You could save even more if you where to build a system yourself (or have store build it.(a computer store, not a best buy or similar, hehe)) You could then also add a geforce 8800, that card would be about 2 x faster than the Quadro FX 4500.

(The Quadro FX 4500 is based on the same chip as the Geforce 7800, even a 7900 would be faster)

If you are set on going with the Mac Pro, the ATI Radeon x1900 is a very fast card, but has very POOR opengl drivers. So it might not work perfectly with XSI, and I know for a fact that it works badly with a lot of other opengl soft.

I had one for a week and returned it since it was so bad for work. But I didn't test it with XSI back then.

My 2 cents would be that until Apple releases an updated Mac Pro, with Quad Xeon (with a revised price list) and more decent alternatives with it comes to graphic cards either wait or look elswhere.

In my case I'm waiting a bit... hoping they wake up. :)

zukezuko
01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys, i am not buying such a computer without any feedback
and you guys help me allot.

Helli geforce8 would THE choice, its sad to hear that ati has bad drivers.

LemonNado are you running xsi on that? Id like to run Maya and shake on the OSX part and xsi on Vista. I say Vista because of the 64bits, witch will hopefully utilize all
of my ram :). I know I will have problems with it, because of the bootcamp/drivers/xsi on vista, hopefully all of these will be solved as bootcamp matures. It is a bit risky.

FranckyB thanks for the info, a pc is also in my mind,
It is true, the prices have stood still the past six month, ;(
Dell has disappointed me greatly, I have the m60 laptop and it failed me.

M60 has heating problems which managed to "burn" my Graphic card twice,
i have been lucky with the extra 150euros "Next Business day" service/ 3 year warranty, so it was ALL for free, the second time they even replaced my motherboard. I have seen benq laptops better build than the m60. The desktops must be ok but after that i just cant buy another one.

AdFont
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
1. is enough. 4. is luxury and I cannot see the value in the price either.
ATI.... I just removed my FireGL in favor of NVidia after having a lot of problems and no support from ATI.
I just bought a 3GHz PowerMac with the NVidia option and it blows my dual Opteron 280 with 7950GT OC into pieces.
Rainer

Hey Lemon got a question for you. I have the MacPro with 2.66GHz and NVidia card. I seem to be getting some openGL issues in my User viewport. Gets blotchy and artifacty (not sure if that's a word) after a little usage. If I reset the view it goes away and comes back in a few minutes. Also it seems to hang a little with some scenes that aren't very big. I haven't checked the fps yet, will do so soon. Any ideas, comments, suggestions?
Thanks
Font

Edit: Should mention this happens with shaded turned on. Wireframe is fine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.