PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Challenge: As at the Renderosity forums.

fourd
02-21-2003, 08:20 PM
wgreenlee presented a challenge over at Renderosity to create a torus, and entwine it with a continous mesh.

Here's his challenge:
I was wandering around the internet tonight and happened across this trueSpace coil tutorial (http://www.caligari.com/store/special/news_jan03/tricks_and_tips.html) tutorial for a coil wrapped torus.
After sitting there reading it and realising that this could be done in Lightwave a whole lot faster(translated as easier) I sat down and replicated it.
Now this is the challenge;
Make this coil wrapped torus useing only 3 tools.
Sub patching and Meta~form sub-division does not count as a tool.
Poly count is not an issue and the main objective is to just replicate the main desin that being the coil-wrapped torus.
This is not a slam on the author of this tutorial in any way I'm just thinking that Wavers will fly through this one without a problem and we will see.
Remember only three tools!
There are no prizes exept a pat on the back from yourself or loved one.:)

So I took up the challenge, and came up with this in about five minutes.
http://www.thebrycechronicles.com/four_d/images/2003/image14.jpg

So let's see what you can come up with, and what tools you use.

If you really get stuck, I created this little tutorial:
LW Wrapped torus tutorial (http://www.thebrycechronicles.com/four_d/tutorials/wrapped_torus/page1.html)

wgreenlee1
02-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Cool!:thumbsup:

SplineGod
02-22-2003, 02:44 AM
Heres my funky torus. :)

fourd
02-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Excellent SG :eek:

gruvsyco
02-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Can someone send me a completed model so I can:

1. Open
2. Render
3. Save

Just kidding. Both of those look really cool though. Anyone care to say what 3 tools they used? Or, is it too soon for that.

zuzzabuzz
02-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Grrr. Got frustrated with trying, then noticed your tutorial link. Thanks for that. Going to try tomorrow morning.
goodnight :-)

zuzzabuzz
02-23-2003, 02:34 AM
2 tools used: Lathe and Radial Array.
Made a box, Lathed 1 revolution with a little bit of offset. Tweaked one end to merge up with the other one. Then I used Radial Array (and merge). Not thrilled with the results, but happy to be done.
I think the best solution would be to set up a 3 null orbit in layout to describe the surface of the torus and then save that motion path out for extrusion later.I could not get any of the tools to output the motion path I needed to use in Modeller. :thumbsdow
I will figure it out sometime, and then generate the most interestingly wrapped up torus...IN THE WORLD. mwuhahahaha.

Halsu
02-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Disc tool (used twice), Twist, Bend.

Deleted the disc's end polys to make the subpatch look nicer, then merged points. Dunno if these are considered tools?

Took about a minute (okay, maybe 2 - didn't count) to do. Rendered with "Scenes" from my plugpak ;-)

Brett H.
02-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Here's mine:

Brett

wgreenlee1
02-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Very cool stuff!
Eki,love that render!:thumbsup:

fourd
02-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Some great wraps going on here.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.