PDA

View Full Version : Need info on lightwave.

Boone
02-21-2003, 08:14 PM
warning..."DO NOT START A FLAME WAR!"

Now then...I read alot of posts where everyone recommends Lightwave over all other 3D apps, when it comes to going freelance. Is this just preference or is it what most companys expect you to use?:curious:

wgreenlee1
02-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Well,when youre free-lance you can use any software you wish.
All they want is good results and with Lightwave being affordable as it is for the results it gives you cannot beat it.
I dont care what anyone says.

takkun
02-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Download all the demos, check out the galleries, try them out, find out what works best for you. This is the best advice that anyone can give you.

There should be a Lightwave demo coming out by next week or so. Right now you can only find it on the cover cd of some 3d magazines.

The reason that I use Lightwave is it has a fast and beautiful renderer, great modeler, and a very helpful and giving community.

Boone
02-21-2003, 09:07 PM
So, it is just preference...thanks guys!

Oh, have you heard of a program called "Shave and a Haircut"? Its designed around Lightwave. Worth a look.:thumbsup:

gruvsyco
02-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Development on Shave for LW has pretty much halted.

I think it's available for Maya and something else though. Too bad really.

Thalaxis
02-21-2003, 09:17 PM
True, it is a shame... but at least there's an alternative from Worley (Sasquatch). The Worley guys are amazing.

smfjersey
02-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Save and haircut is a decent plugin. But this is what Keyframe magazine just rated Lightwaves hair plug-ins

saslite(comes with Lightwave) 3/10
Save and haircut 1.25/10
Sasquatch 8.6/10

I use sas myself and I'm very happy with it.
As for which 3d prog to use,..Felytendect is right, try them all. I just prefer LW. It's fits my way of thinking. What matters is the end result and your talent. You will see allot of great stuff made in most all 3d progs.

By the way, I don't know if the other 3d forums are this good but the cg talk LW forum rules. If you don't abuse it, and try to figure it out on your own first. Then it's like having thousands of 3d consultants working for you.

Thalaxis
02-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Two things LightWave has going in its favor are the Plug and Mode Paks from Eki Halkka, and OGO's Taiki and Hikari.

It's $70 to register PlugPak + ModPak, and I think Hikari is $30, and Taiki is free if you register Hikari.

No need for Ozone here... :bounce:

ThirdEye
02-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Don't forget Shave&Haircut Lightwave version is REALLY OLD. Joe Alter stopped its development when Newtek announced SasLite to be part of Lw. Now S&H is available as a plugin for Maya, a module for Cinema 4D and it is also integrated into XSI by default. :wavey:

Boone
02-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Oh! I see...well, I just found it lying around on a site and tried it out. It said something about lightwave so I thought you lot might be interested, thats all.:cool:

proton
02-21-2003, 09:59 PM
let us know if you have any other questions on LW....would love to see you join the LW community!

Boone
02-22-2003, 01:55 PM
I'd like to get a demo of it...will it even run under win95?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.